JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Approved used audi - peeling lacquer on front bumper

2nd Gear

Status

Approved used audi - peeling lacquer on front bumper

Hi folks just a quick question. I bought an approved used misano red Audi A4 s-line 1.8T just 7 weeks ago. After a week or two of ownership a work mate pointed out that the lacquer was peeling off the front bumper, at first it didn't really bother me to be honest but now every time I look at it I get pretty annoyed considering I paid just shy of 14k for the car. Do you think it would be worth taking it back to audi as obviously the car came with a 12 month warranty and do you's think audi would repair it under warranty? Car is on a 58 plate which was registered in November 08 so it is over 5 years old?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyboy View Post
    Hi folks just a quick question. I bought an approved used misano red Audi A4 s-line 1.8T just 7 weeks ago. After a week or two of ownership a work mate pointed out that the lacquer was peeling off the front bumper, at first it didn't really bother me to be honest but now every time I look at it I get pretty annoyed considering I paid just shy of 14k for the car. Do you think it would be worth taking it back to audi as obviously the car came with a 12 month warranty and do you's think audi would repair it under warranty? Car is on a 58 plate which was registered in November 08 so it is over 5 years old?
    If it's bothering you then why not take it back? Especially it's under warranty. If it's warranty covered then they will fix, otherwise they'll give you a price. Then it's up to you if you think it's worth it.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
    If it's bothering you then why not take it back? Especially it's under warranty. If it's warranty covered then they will fix, otherwise they'll give you a price. Then it's up to you if you think it's worth it.
    Hi dieselguy. Yeah I'm thinking of going into audi tomorrow but was more or less wondering would audi do it under warranty, mainly because the car is over 5 years old?

Reverse Gear

Status
    they wont be able to cover it under your used car warranty as there is no mechanical component failure. Your paint work warranty only covers you for 3 years from date of registration however i would imagine that the dealer would try and help you out somehow with the situation as you have only recently brought the car
    And so it begins:- Cat back Miltek, 12mm spacers front 15mm spacers rear, RNSe Nav, Privacy Glass, LED Number plate lamps, Silver tech rear indicator bulb

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthaden View Post
    they wont be able to cover it under your used car warranty as there is no mechanical component failure. Your paint work warranty only covers you for 3 years from date of registration however i would imagine that the dealer would try and help you out somehow with the situation as you have only recently brought the car
    Hi matthaden. Yeah that is what I was afraid off. I was looking over the 145 point check list and the tech who inspected the car ticked off the body work condition saying it was good. Do you think I could have a decent argument there as clearly it's not all good?

2nd Gear

Status
    I've also noticed after a bit of research online that this is a common problem with misano red. I wonder if that would work in my favour?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Its difficult to say it will be completely down the discretion of the dealer in this instance the only area of concern would be if the pealing has originated from a stone chip possibly but the best thing to do is have a conversation with your salesman and see what they are willing to do.
    And so it begins:- Cat back Miltek, 12mm spacers front 15mm spacers rear, RNSe Nav, Privacy Glass, LED Number plate lamps, Silver tech rear indicator bulb

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthaden View Post
    Its difficult to say it will be completely down the discretion of the dealer in this instance the only area of concern would be if the pealing has originated from a stone chip possibly but the best thing to do is have a conversation with your salesman and see what they are willing to do.
    Yeah I definitely think it's worth going back to the dealer to see if something can be done. A boy at work also think's it will get worse if I don't get it sorted asap. I'll be annoyed if audi don't at least contribute towards the bill though

1st Gear

Status
    Good luck! In my experience you have to be a little "pushy" to get thing done there, as they will most likely to make excuses.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
    Good luck! In my experience you have to be a little "pushy" to get thing done there, as they will most likely to make excuses.
    Cheers mate. I'm not keeping my hopes up to be honest but nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose.

Tricky

Status
    Give it a go mate, you have nothing to lose. I had an issue with my rear bumper and ended up getting a full respray of the bumper and I also managed to get them to touch up the lacquer which has also pealed on my red s4....

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by trick971 View Post
    Give it a go mate, you have nothing to lose. I had an issue with my rear bumper and ended up getting a full respray of the bumper and I also managed to get them to touch up the lacquer which has also pealed on my red s4....
    Was your car in warranty at the time?

The orange peel effect is a common problem with Misano Red.
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit

4th Gear

Status
    I thought that Audi had a 12 year warranty for things like this do they not? Or am I miss reading their stuff?
    Daytona Grey A4 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Tronic Black Edition

Tricky

Status
    It did still have the warranty.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daggerit View Post
    I thought that Audi had a 12 year warranty for things like this do they not? Or am I miss reading their stuff?
    I think that is standard on most cars where it's a warranty for protection against rust.

4th Gear

Status
    Ah, just for rust and not for general failing of the paint... Gotcha!
    Daytona Grey A4 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Tronic Black Edition

1st Gear

Status
    Did a bit research on the internet. A lot of people are finding it difficult to claim with the dealers, even for rust issues.

Here is a paragraph one guy wrote which kind of sums it up…. (excuse the spelling, I didn't write it).

"it is true that vw/audi policy states that hey will fix your car, HOWEVER in order for it to be covered under warantee it must be through the hole panel. the rust/ corrosion must weaken the material to the point where it fails. its a small loop hole they have. if you repair and paint he rust spot yourself then you void the warrantee and assume all responsibilities to repair it in the future.

my recommendation. if its a small spot of surface rust. repair it yourself as the time it will take to get to vw standards will still be a while. if its a big spot still bring it to the dealership and have it checked out and they may cover it, it all depends on the mood of the inspector."

2nd Gear

Status
    Yeah it's definitely worth a go. How old was your car when they did the full respray?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishS3 View Post
    Was your car in warranty at the time?

The orange peel effect is a common problem with Misano Red.
    Yeah I've been reading a lot about this problem affecting misano red. Have you had any problems with yours?

6th Gear

Status
    Take it back fella, if they are worth their salt they will sort it, in my total of 26yrs of Audi ownership, I have taken 3 approved used back for similar issues, lacquer peeling O/S rear panel & fuel lid, front bumper & N/S rear pass door, all were put right without quibble
    A4 B8 (09) 2.0 TFSI (211)

Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler, LED interior, LED number plate lights, Brushed steel vinyl wrapped interior.

1st Gear

Status
    I had a similar issue, lacquer peel on my rear bumper where it meets the rear quarter, my car was just over 3 1/2 years old and they wouldn't not rectify the issue, Constantly stating the car is over 3 years old thus making it fall outside the 3 year paint warranty! I kicked up a stink left, right and centre and it got me nowhere with the dealer.

2nd Gear

Status
    Looks like it's gonna be a hit or a miss really. I suppose it all depends on the dealer at the end of the day. Anyone here had any dealings with highland audi?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdoon View Post
    Take it back fella, if they are worth their salt they will sort it, in my total of 26yrs of Audi ownership, I have taken 3 approved used back for similar issues, lacquer peeling O/S rear panel & fuel lid, front bumper & N/S rear pass door, all were put right without quibble
    Can you remember how old these 3 cars were when you took them back by any chance?

Tricky

Status
    The car is a 2009, so 4 years... And was a month Into the used approved warranty

5th Gear

Status
    Yeah I've been reading a lot about this problem affecting misano red. Have you had any problems with yours?
    Yes mate just noticed a bit of the lacquer peeling on the rear bumper. Its the stone chips causing it I would imagine. Mud flaps would be the only option to stop it happening. Incidentally someone has them fitted to their S line on here and they look pretty good.
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit

Tricky

Status
    In my case though (which is different to yours) is that my car was in for a bumper paint issue (see one of my posts). So they were keen to keep me happy seeing as I had just bought it. So asked them to sort lacquer out too

Tricky

Status
    Mine is brilliant red btw

6th Gear

Status
    Can you remember how old these 3 cars were when you took them back by any chance?
    54 plate A4 B6 (Black), it was 4 years old when I bought it in sept 08, took it back in early 09 with fuel lid and o/s rear panel flaking.
    51 plate A4 B6 (Blue), 31/2 yrs old took it back one month after, N/S pass door.
    Mrs 57 plate A3 (Black) 4yrs old front bumper
    A4 B8 (09) 2.0 TFSI (211)

Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler, LED interior, LED number plate lights, Brushed steel vinyl wrapped interior.

5th Gear

Status
    Mine is brilliant red btw
    Must be all the reds that suffer from it then!

1st Gear

Status
    For some reason the red audi's seem to suffer the most.. It doesn't make sense tho cos all cars are painted the same.. It's weird.. I have seen 2012/13 red audi's peeling over here already..

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by simers View Post
    For some reason the red audi's seem to suffer the most.. It doesn't make sense tho cos all cars are painted the same.. It's weird.. I have seen 2012/13 red audi's peeling over here already..
    Red VW's suffer from it as well. Shocking isn't it!

2nd Gear

Status
    It's ashame really because red is the best colour for an A4 in my opinion.

1st Gear

Status
    Red VW's suffer from it as well. Shocking isn't it!
    I've also noticed that BMW is the same.. I love a nice detailed shiny red car but then you have the lacquer peel which let's it down.. I'd love to no why red is so bad.. I'm painting cars for years and I've never had the problem of lacquer peel after I was done even after a year of bad Irish roads so why can't manufacturers do it right??

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    14k for a 58 plate
    ****ing hell

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    14k for a 58 plate
    ****ing hell
    £13800 with only 25000 miles on the clock. Is that too much? We do pay more for cars in the north of scotland compared to the central belt and down south.

2nd Gear

Status
    I spent £19k on an manual 170hp 2013 S line with 10k on the clock, sat nav, leather seats, reverse parking sensors and camera, heated front seats
    Last edited by Liquidfusion; 7th March 2014 at 14:34.
    2013 Audi A4 1.8 TFSI 170 S line - Daytona Grey. 19" Black Edition Alloys. MMI 3G Navigation Plus, Bluetooth Phone and Voice Prep,
    Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Eibach Sportline Suspension, Tinted Windows Factory Shade,
    Ice White Fog Lights, Interior LEDs, Mobius Dash Cam, Red Calipers with S Line Decals
    S Line Grill Badge. Remap Stage 1 (Pending)

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidfusionv View Post
    I spent £19k on an manual 170hp 2013 S line with 10k on the clock, sat nav, leather seats, reverse parking sensors and camera.
    Nice one. That from an audi dealership? What 170 is it? 1.8TFSI or 2.0 TDI?

2nd Gear

Status
    Audi dealership, 170 1.8 TFSi
    A bargain I know, couldn't find anything remotely close to it

2nd Gear

Status
    Audi dealership, 170 1.8 TFSi
    A bargain I know, couldn't find anything remotely close to it
    Good on ya mate. Give me a shout when your selling it
    Liquidfusion likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    I spent £19k on an manual 170hp 2013 S line with 10k on the clock, sat nav, leather seats, reverse parking sensors and camera.
    That is a cracking good deal! :-)
    Liquidfusion likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast