Whiff of burnt Diesel

BigGreg

Reaction score
Ok, never had an Audi Diesel before, should I expect to get a whiff of burnt diesel every now and then when driving with the windows closed. Had a few Diesel's (Non Audi) and never had this before. I am thinking there might be some filters needing changed on the air handling?????
Just had my first decent run in the car, 60miles down to Dunbar the same back the following day. Car goes like a train and so stable it's crazy. Does feedback every fag but on the road but I am enjoy this thus far, reliving my youth the wife says. Got a new Timing belt going on this Tuesday, so will get the Bob the mechanic to give it the once over. Have a sneaking feeling the front struts might be a little weak. I noticed the change the rear shocks before I bought it. Anyway and ideas on the diesel smell would be great.

I don't get any burnt diesel smell, Welsy least I don't think I do but will check for sure tommorow. Is this happening with heater blower ect

Reactions: BigGreg
Blower on low and yes that's when I was getting the whiff of diesel. Strange as we have had a few diesels and never noticed this smell, it's a diesel smell but hot as if burnt, very odd.

Blower on low and yes that's when I was getting the whiff of diesel. Strange as we have had a few diesels and never noticed this smell, it's a diesel smell but hot as if burnt, very odd.

What about when you lift the bonnet Greg ? it could be a breather pipe ? get the technician to check them when you get your clutch done. Sorry not Clutch .... I mean Timing Belt....

Last edited:
Reactions: BigGreg and SI-W85
Yeah good point that is definitely something to check anyway as they are a bit prone to blocking and can cause big problems.

Cheers Anthony will do. Although the clutch is tip top, doing a precautionary Timing Belt change as can find no record of it being done.

Cheers Anthony will do. Although the clutch is tip top, doing a precautionary Timing Belt change as can find no record of it being done.

Sorry Greg I did mean to say Timing Belt :redface:

No worries mate, sods law now though........

How long have you had the car, not long have you? If you got it from a garage take it to them and make them sort it that's what I would be doing.

How long have you had the car, not long have you? If you got it from a garage take it to them and make them sort it that's what I would be doing.

Yep sound advice, only thing is I am not sure I have a problem or not. Will pay more attention in the next week. I have a new Timing belt going on this week and also ordered a new pollen filter too. The mechanic will give once over, if a problem it will be straight back to the garage.