Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Cyprio
  • 3 Post By benjie
  • 1 Post By benjie
  • 2 Post By benjie

Thread: Considering an S4

3rd Gear

Status
    Swindon - home of the 'Magic' Roundabout.

Considering an S4

Hi all, I've popped over from the B6 forum as I am considering buying a B8 S4 - avant or saloon, I don't mind.
    I've done a bit of reading and decided I'd really like an S-Tronic with ADS/sports diff (& maybe advanced key). I have a few cars in mind.

I'm just looking for any recommendations of little gems of info from you lot as to things I should look out for on an S4 or on the B8 chassis in general as I have very little experience of them.

Thanks in advance!
    B8 S4 Avant in Misano Red with some lovely toys!
    Prev: B6 A4 Saloon 1.9 TDI quattro Sport - great car.

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Hi Benjie

Plenty of info here:-
    7 weeks and 3200 miles into S4 ownership

I used to have a B6 S4 Avant, but have had a string of Diesels since - just ordered a new S4 Avant, but wont get that until June!
    I haven driven a few B8 S4s as well as a few S5s and personally can't fault the cars.
    For me Advance key is a nice to have gimmick not necessary - Drive select, well I'm sure some would say is a must and if you can find a second-hand car with the sports diff then its a bonus! Super sport seats are nice too!

Second-hand S4 Avants with the spec and colour I wanted, seem to be rare as rocking horse sh#t.
    So with the current finance deal and discounts I ordered a new one. But it depends on your budget I guess.
    S4 Avant quattro Black Edition

1st Gear

Status
    Used or New?

Sport diff's are pretty rare when buying used so don't rule-out a well specced S4 because it doesnt have a S/diff or you may miss out on a great buy.

If new - then spec the S/diff as it's not a hugely expensive option. I guess it all boils down to how you drive the car, as to whether or not you will appreciate it.

ADS - imo nice to play around with, especially when in individual mode - would I spec it again, probably yes.

Advanced key - I think it's great - key in pocket and forget it's there, except when it's needed to open the auto boot!

If you go for a 'Black edition' you will get the B&O hifi system which is a must if you enjoy your music.

Super-sports seat are real nice, although expensive - not sure if I would spec again as Alcantara seats look real nice as well.

Phone prep 'high' is good, if like me you have two sim cards - pop one sim card (pay-as-you-go) into the sim card slot and just leave it there for google maps navigation and the internet - just top-up when it runs out. You can then use your mobile phone for calls via bluetooth.

Hope some of this helps.
    Last edited by Cyprio; 26th February 2014 at 14:36.
    ScottishS3 likes this.
    MY2014 Ibis White S4 Black Edition

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks for the replies. My post last night was a little vague. I'm planning on buying used, about 26k max.

I've seen your post Keef, was very useful. What are the super sports seats like?

Sports diff - I've read about it and lots of people say it's brilliant. I don't generally drive like a loon and won't track the car, so would you say it's not essential? And am I right in thinking that the ADS options in the MMI menu will tell me if it has the diff - if it has an option for it? Looking at adverts, it seems like a lot of sellers (including Audi) don't know the options on the car they are selling!

A few more things I'm not sure about...

MMI 3G Nav - As far as I can tell, there 2 versions, one that has the navigation on a DVD and another that has it on HDD? How would you tell the difference?

S-Tronic - what are the time/distance intervals for the fluid change? I'm lucky to live near-ish to MRC so will probably get them to do it.

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow sammi On Twitter
    Hay we have just bought a b8 s4 avant it's a 59 plate it's got an s Tronic box and we love it! We also have a b6 s4 cab. They are totally different cars but if u have a b6 a4 you'll love the b8. The power is lovely . Gear box is a little jerky in lower gears and I have to remember not to use the throttle when I first reverse ( as it doesn't like it!) but as soon as u get used to it it's really a lovely car. Ours has just had both gearbox fluids changed I believe they recommend it being replaced after 40k. We also had a gearbox software update done which is really recommend. It's made the gear box a lot smoother in the lower gears.

Ours has the 3G nav which plays DVDs .. The quality is amazing considering it's in a car! Bluetooth phone works really well as does the I pod connector. This is something I wished was on the b6! Heated seats are lovely . We don't have the b & O upgrade which is a Shame but the standard stereo is really alright! So far so good!

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks for that Sammi. off to look at one tomorrow, will keep you posted!

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow sammi On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by benjie View Post
    Thanks for that Sammi. off to look at one tomorrow, will keep you posted!
    So how was it?

3rd Gear

Status
    I went and put a deposit on it. Blimey it was good. Solid and beautiful car.

Spec is:
    - Avant, Misano Red
    - S-Tronic (mechatronics unit replaced with updated version)
    - Parking system plus (front/rear sensors with rear camera)
    - ADS with sports diff
    - ACC (this is actually amazing!)
    - Lane change assistant
    - Slam the brakes on if you're going to crash assistant
    - Panoramic sunroof
    - Power tailgate
    - MMI 2G (shame really, would have liked 3G)
    - Black/Silvery leather seats with memory function (very lovely and they heat up bloody quickly!)
    - 19" 7 arm double spokes.
    - B&O stereo with DAB & AMI
    - Boot securing rails to hold your stuff still

But the best bit, beyond all of the above - that is one peach of an engine. It sounds so refined, but goes mad when you plant the throttle, I got to 100 before I realised (on a private road of course). There's no way in hell it's putting out 333bhp, it's such a conservative figure!

Pics to follow...

1st Gear

Status
    Sounds a nice car, lots of spec. I see you near are me too

1st Gear

Status
    Well done, That sounds like a lovely car. You won't regret it. I have a 2010 S4 avant and love it. What year is yours? Cheers

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow sammi On Twitter
    Ah congratulations!! I knew you d enjoy one!!! Looking forward to seeing pictures!

3rd Gear

Status
    Nice one Benjie - congrats!

Sounds like a great spec, you could always upgrade the MMI unit to 3G or even 3G+ - a few guys on here have done it but
    we are taking £2-3K!
    We defo need some pics, when do you collect? - is it from an approved dealer or private?

Cheers
    Keef
    S4 Avant quattro Black Edition

3rd Gear

Status
    Apologies for the continued slow replies, work has been manic.
    Thanks for the nice comments. I've done a fair bit of reading on the car and read the MMI upgrade threads Keef - I think it can be done for cheaper if you're patient with collecting the bits - but the brains behind it seem to be keeping the cards close to their chest regarding cabling/coding. Private seller, collecting at the weekend hopefully!
    It's 2009 AFN, wanted newer, but the car has been really well cared for - meticulously so, plus it has Audi warranty until September.
    Audi.Quattro - where are you based?
    Here it is... a couple of things I will need to give my attention to (tiny mark on one alloy and 2-3 indentations in the paint on the leading edge of the bonnet), but otherwise I think it's one of the best looking cars on the road today.

PS: I got 19mpg on a 30min test drive!
    AFN1980, scotty76 and Tim17 like this.

5th Gear

Status
    Awesome spec and in the best colour! Hope you enjoy your new toy mate! 😎
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks ScottishS3, I wonder why you say it's the best colour?!! Out of interest, where did you get you RS4 grille from? Price&pics? Just being nosey, won't be touching it for a while, but worth noting!

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks ScottishS3, I wonder why you say it's the best colour?!! Out of interest, where did you get you RS4 grille from? Price&pics? Just being nosey, won't be touching it for a while, but worth noting!
    If you check my RS4 grille fitting guide in this forum there is a link to the sellers eBay page. It's around £59 for the grille and £30 delivery and £12 customs charge on arrival in UK from US.
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit

1st Gear

Status
    Car looks lovely mate. Looks in excellent condition. Always nice to see a car keep in such great shape. You will love it. I really like the 2-tone leather. Mine is all black. Makes me want to get it re-trimmed! lol

Enjoy it!!

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow sammi On Twitter
    Looks lovely and really love the red! I bet your counting down the sleeps till u can collect it!

1st Gear

Status
    Enjoy!
    MY2014 Ibis White S4 Black Edition

5th Gear

Status
    Here's the link to my thread:
    Audi A4 B8 S line Bumper Removal / RS4 Grille Fitment Step-by-Step Guide

Here's the grille:
    Audi A4 S4 B8 09-12 RS Style Gloss Black Mesh Front Hood Bumper Grill | eBay

Reverse Gear

Status
    Nice ride. Enjoy it for a while, and with a simple remap, u will be flying..

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks all, and thanks ScottishS3 for the links - it looks really great. Perhaps something for the "once the warranty's gone" list.
    Thanks junchen - I live quite close to MRC, so may end up there for a stage 2 (pulley/belt kit) done, near 500bhp I hear! Not too soon though, 333bhp from a 150bhp A4 - I definitely need long, long period of adjustment!
    ScottishS3 likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks all, and thanks ScottishS3 for the links - it looks really great. Perhaps something for the "once the warranty's gone" list.
    Thanks junchen - I live quite close to MRC, so may end up there for a stage 2 (pulley/belt kit) done, near 500bhp I hear! Not too soon though, 333bhp from a 150bhp A4 - I definitely need long, long period of adjustment!
    Good problem to have. I'm on a 200hp a4 (stage 1, 1.8). Would love to have your 'problem'. Haha

3rd Gear

Status
    WOW! Wow, Wow, Wow!

As you may have already guessed, I picked up the car today. What an absolute pleasure it is to drive. I haven't quite got the accelerator pedal down to a tee yet (I am pressing too gently and not quick enough) so it's a bit 'all or nothing' but I'm very impressed. It's a very precise machine. On the drive home I got 29mpg (panicking on the motorway at 65mph) then, after a stop at the rents for dinner, 22mpg on the drive home (that's more like it!)

Bonus - I thought the headlight stalk was faulty, but it's not, the car has high beam assist! (I think)
    sammi and ScottishS3 like this.