Diesel Tuning Box

Anthony566

Reaction score
I have now decided to buy a tuning box rather than go for a remap until my car is out of warranty ..

So please no just get it mapped posts as I will do that if needed in 3 years time :)

So down to the point which box do I buy ? Please tell me what you think and why I am assuming I should be looking at the twin Chanel versions ?

I am looking to buy this in the next week or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes DTUK boxes are really well made and work well with our engines! And you won't get better customer support than that provided by Andrew! Or Abyss!

What about TDi and Shark boxes ... anyone got any feedback about those makes or are they all the same just with there branding on them ??

What about TDi and Shark boxes ... anyone got any feedback about those makes or are they all the same just with there branding on them ??

Shark don't offer tuning boxes for your car, and if they did it would be one of ours.

Not all boxes are the same, as per my pm's i would ask people like TDI who actually manufacturer their kits, and if they have any dyno feedback for their kits?

Our hardware is made in germany by Chiptuning von DTE-Systems: Leistungsoptimierung mit Klasse - Chiptuning DTE as for rolling road data:

Diesel Tuning UK LTD

As youre in the north East, pop up to see us and try a kit on your car.

Shark don't offer tuning boxes for your car, and if they did it would be one of ours.

Not all boxes are the same, as per my pm's i would ask people like TDI who actually manufacturer their kits, and if they have any dyno feedback for their kits?

Our hardware is made in germany by Chiptuning von DTE-Systems: Leistungsoptimierung mit Klasse - Chiptuning DTE as for rolling road data:

Diesel Tuning UK LTD

As youre in the north East, pop up to see us and try a kit on your car.

now it never passed my mind to do a try before you buy .... I will take you up on that

Thanks Andrew all arranged.... ill be popping in on Friday and will feed back to anyone looking at this.

Last edited:
How did the DTUK box go? Was you impressed with results?

Hi mike, as a tuning box virgin all I can say is that voodoo do do what it says on the tin .....

Spent a few hours with Andrew at DTUK trying out the box and a few maps and you get an instant power boost.

I'd be interested to hear about your fuel economy. I am in the Sunderland area and have the same engine as you. I wouldnt mind a little more power since I have come from a 3.2 Quattro, but I don't want my fuel economy to reduce at all - I'm already a tad disappointed with the fuel economy as it is...

I'd be interested to hear about your fuel economy. I am in the Sunderland area and have the same engine as you. I wouldnt mind a little more power since I have come from a 3.2 Quattro, but I don't want my fuel economy to reduce at all - I'm already a tad disappointed with the fuel economy as it is...

I am off to the office tomorrow so will be doing the 240 mile round trip so should see the impact the box is having, up to now sticking to 70 im seeing 49 mpg on cruse control so I will be expecting to see the same...

Audi states my car is 58mpg (Petrol) on motorways, I feel so gutted that I just about can reach 44mpg on the motorways.

Audi states my car is 58mpg (Petrol) on motorways, I feel so gutted that I just about can reach 44mpg on the motorways.

At what speed ? I can only get close to the book mpg if I drive at 56 and no one really does that do they :aggressive:

Last edited:
If I sit at 70 then I am lucky to get 42mpg. Doing 60 I manage to get 49. The car is very new though so hopefully will improve as it runs in

according to Audi the best we will get is 55.4 ..... my work trip is between 60 and 70 using cruse and I am seeing 45 to 49 .... my best full tank was 50.5 and this was calculated via fuelly

50.5(08/11/13)best UK MPG

this was my week of 56 MPH and it killed me to do it :) and I only used the car for work that week no running around in it at all.

Last edited:
I think mine is between 50-70mph, but surely I would of thought it would be closer than that

Last edited:
mine is petrol 170
i think 49.6 is the average, 58mpg was meant to be motorway run and 42mpg is around town. lies! :(

I get around 30mpg around town, and 42ish around motorways, and i'm very light footed

I have no idea what the motorway number for my car is as I always use the combined number as the real number and im not to far off that ... you may find that your mpg does improve as you put a few miles on the car, I have done 8500 since mid October.

One thing worth noting is that these figures are not figures that you will ever achieve day to day. All manufacturers do a test which is artificial and in a lab. The aim of the manufacturers (apparently) is to achieve as little CO2 emissions during this test. Basically, there is very little load on the car, no wind resistance and they will have everything in its most economical setting possible.

What the figures are meant to represent, however, is a basis for comparison. Therefore if you see a car quoted at 60mpg and one quoted at 40mpg, you should expect a 50% improvement in real-life terms. The actual figures achieved may be closer to 45mpg and 30mpg in reality.

You can compare quoted figures to real-life figures here:
Real MPGs | Honest John

You will notice that almost all of the modern cars, especially 'eco' ones do not fair well against quoted figures, not just Audi.

Reactions: Liquidfusion-S3
Here is a description of the test and how the goal is CO2 based and not mpg

Real MPGs | Honest John

I believe there is going to be a shake-up on quoted mpg figures later this year which will be far less misleading...

When buying my car I thought I would get at most 50mpg on the motorway on a good run because my old 2004 Merc quoted at 44mpg got me 38mpg on a good run.

My old A4 1.8T did 32 at best but it was old and had done a lot of miles .... with my TDi I am getting 49+ on my work runs but I tend to sit between 60 and 70.

Hi mike, as a tuning box virgin all I can say is that voodoo do do what it says on the tin .....

Spent a few hours with Andrew at DTUK trying out the box and a few maps and you get an instant power boost.

Your feedback on performance gain seems a bit short. Were you a little disappointed? Thought you might go in to drive ability, in gear acceleration or even grin factor. Tossing up remap or tuning box would appreciate more of your thoughts Anthony.

Your feedback on performance gain seems a bit short. Were you a little disappointed? Thought you might go in to drive ability, in gear acceleration or even grin factor. Tossing up remap or tuning box would appreciate more of your thoughts Anthony.

Hi Greg,

Apologies for my underwhelming response :ermm: .... I just wanted to give a quick update but in the interests of a bit more detail here goes ....

As my car is new and the ECU is locked I decided not to go down the ECU map route just yet as i didn’t want to get into the middle ground with Audi over warranty issues as this seems to be a bit hit and miss..

The box is extremely easy to fit and takes seconds to remove, and will come with 4 maps of your choice I spent a few hours trying out maps and selected the 4 I wanted the map i am running at the moment seems to suite me better than the others but i am planning on spending a few weeks in each map mode to try them out.

On the map that I am running atm I have a huge difference in response from first to 6th my map brings power in earlier than the stand and holds the boost longer so reducing the drop off.

As for fuel I have only done some very crude test using the car display, I have been using fuelly to record my millage/fuel and to date my best full tank was 50.5 mpg so since the box has gone on i have done one lot of tests with the box and i am planning next week when i do the same trip to do the tests again without the box but this is what the car is displaying:-

Trip 1 @ 56 MPH - Distance 54.8 miles - 64.2 mpg ( Before the box 54.5 )
Trip 2 @ 75 MPH - Distance 122.5 Miles - 48.7 mpg ( Didn’t record this before )
Trip 3 @ 65 MPH - Distance 77.7 Miles - 56.4 mpg ( Before the box 48.5 )

Now before you all start responding with the car will be wrong I did this as a gauge I will be doing some fill to fill tests over the next few weeks and i will feed this back.

But in short the box has made a big performance improvement to how the car responds and it would be nice to get alongside the same car without a box to see the difference.

Reactions: allanmb and BigGreg
This is anything but underwhelming this time Anthony :yes:. Think this seems a lot better option for me rather than the remap, especially as you can have four options. My car edu should be unlocked as it is a late 08 but fancy the convenience of this. Sounds like it does what it says on the tin.
Just one question, I know you have DPF but was there any increase in black smoke for the tailpipe???

This is anything but underwhelming this time Anthony :yes:. Think this seems a lot better option for me rather than the remap, especially as you can have four options. My car edu should be unlocked as it is a late 08 but fancy the convenience of this. Sounds like it does what it says on the tin.
Just one question, I know you have DPF but was there any increase in black smoke for the tailpipe???

I am seeing no smoke all all Greg ... I was going to get my son to dive the car in daylight ( he has an S3 and will complain anyway ... )and give it a hammer and record it to see what if any smoke does come out.... will post as soon as it done.

Reactions: BigGreg
Trip 1 @ 56 MPH - Distance 54.8 miles - 64.2 mpg ( Before the box 54.5 )
Trip 2 @ 75 MPH - Distance 122.5 Miles - 48.7 mpg ( Didn’t record this before )
Trip 3 @ 65 MPH - Distance 77.7 Miles - 56.4 mpg ( Before the box 48.5 )

This seems to be a significant improvement. Let us know when you get some results from fuelly, and if you are getting half of this gain then its a done deal for me :) Out of interest, which map did you favour in the end?

So as I live in Scotland I would be best to buy mail order as it seems a doodle to fit or were you happy the garage done yours Anthony?????

I installed it myself .. ill post some photos of were I ha put mine and how its held in place.

Reactions: BigGreg
So as I live in Scotland I would be best to buy mail order as it seems a doodle to fit or were you happy the garage done yours Anthony?????

I'm in Alloa. Delivered 'next day' and very easy to fit........ ten minutes tops. Mine is the CRD-P unit for an S4. Adjusting the setting (if you want to, I haven't yet) will take a little longer as you have to open up the box to move the jumpers. I've a pdf file of the fitting and adjusting instructions if you drop me a PM, which will tell you all you need to know. Let me know if you want a copy of the installation file for info,
Bob

Anthony566 is my dad, I quickly drew these up tonight as that box doesn't come with any mounting brackets, I like things to look as OEM as possible. Going to get them laser cut/bent/powder-coated at work this week and try them, the top one will slot under the washer bottle mounts, and the other one mounts into the 2 redundant M8 holes found to the right hand side of the ABS module, there just quick tester parts at the min 1.5 or 2mm steel:

It means the wiring can be ran along existing routes too so no extra wires hanging around and the only one you will really see is the one plugging into the MAF.

You diesel boys are lucky, nothing like this for the petrol guys like me
have to get a remap instead of a tuning box

Don't suppose you've got any mpg figures using fuelly yet, do you?

Don't suppose you've got any mpg figures using fuelly yet, do you?

Hi Allan, I haven't yet as I have only filled up once since getting the box but I can say that for the first time I got 600 miles from a tank ... I have a few trips over the next few weeks over 200 mile each way so will be doing a fill to fill test.

My average tank fill is 54 litres.

Sorry to disagree! I have the CRD-p tuning box from DTUK fitted to my S4 Avant........ it's definitely NOT diesel!

Not sure how old your kit is and which map/setting you're running, but a guy on the a5 forum saw 424bhp from his s5 recently ..