Badger5Sky Insurance
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Audi.Quattro

Thread: Heated Mirrors

6th Gear

Status

Heated Mirrors

Hi all, I have noticed that when switching on heated screen the heated wing mirrors do not heat up. read the manual and it says they are temperature controlled - is it possible to change this via vcds to come on with the rear screen?
    A4 B8 (09) 2.0 TFSI (211)

Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler, LED interior, LED number plate lights, Brushed steel vinyl wrapped interior.

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Try putting the mirror switch to the middle position.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Try putting the mirror switch to the middle position.
    Cheers Nigel, is that put the switch in the middle then press rear heated screen switch?

Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler, LED interior, LED number plate lights, Brushed steel vinyl wrapped interior.

4th Gear

Status
    Just leaving it in the middle position will mean they heat up when required automatically.
    Daytona Grey A4 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Tronic Black Edition

Reverse Gear

Status
    does leaving it in the middle not leave the heated mirrors on all the time?

1st Gear

Status
    Yes, but they will only work if its cold enough
    Daggerit likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    I just replaced one of my mirror glasses, the heater had failed. Mine work regardless of the switch position.
    You can easily pop the mirror out by turning the mirror in as far as it goes, put a screwdriver in from the lower outer edge and feel for the (roughly 2" diameter) clip that holds the mirror glass, carefully prize it out. It's very unlikely to break the glass. Test for 12v feed when ignition is on. CID you have 12v the heater element is knackered. Scrappy will probably want £15 for a complete mirror, I just left the rest of the mirror and took the glass, happy to pay £15 just for the glass

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    £15 for a b8 mirror ?
    get me 10

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daggerit View Post
    Just leaving it in the middle position will mean they heat up when required automatically.
    Cheers pal, this is why I want to know if the heated mirrors can be switched on when needed other than when it reaches a certain temp, when the mirrors are misted up after a wet night I would usually switch on the mirrors that would clear it, but if they are set to auto heat then it won't

1st Gear

Status
    I thought that the mirror heaters in Audis had thermostat "protection" and not a thermostat to allow them to come on, ie the thermostat avoids burning out the elements. When I moved from VX Cav GSI 4X4 to VW Passat B5 2.8 4Motion, I stupidly assumed that it was clever/smart to leave the mirror switch on the heater position, thus avoiding accidentally adjusting the mirrors when bumping into the switch, and making the assumption that by doing that, the mirror heaters would always come on with the heated rear window (like the GSI did). About 12 months down the line, I read on the USA Passat forum that people were trashing their mirror heaters by doing that - checked mine - both heaters burned out, so bought new mirrors and only used the heaters when needed.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdoon View Post
    Cheers pal, this is why I want to know if the heated mirrors can be switched on when needed other than when it reaches a certain temp, when the mirrors are misted up after a wet night I would usually switch on the mirrors that would clear it, but if they are set to auto heat then it won't
    I don't know if yours work a bit different than mine then? I just leave mine in the middle position all the time unless I actually need to adjust them.

An example is if there's some frost I'll start the car and go round scraping the windows, but the time I get back in the car the mirrors are clear. That's just leaving it in the auto position.

Would yours not do this?
    Daytona Grey A4 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Tronic Black Edition