Heated Mirrors

Macdoon

Reaction score
Hi all, I have noticed that when switching on heated screen the heated wing mirrors do not heat up. read the manual and it says they are temperature controlled - is it possible to change this via vcds to come on with the rear screen?

Try putting the mirror switch to the middle position.

Just leaving it in the middle position will mean they heat up when required automatically.

Yes, but they will only work if its cold enough

Reactions: Daggerit
I just replaced one of my mirror glasses, the heater had failed. Mine work regardless of the switch position.
You can easily pop the mirror out by turning the mirror in as far as it goes, put a screwdriver in from the lower outer edge and feel for the (roughly 2" diameter) clip that holds the mirror glass, carefully prize it out. It's very unlikely to break the glass. Test for 12v feed when ignition is on. CID you have 12v the heater element is knackered. Scrappy will probably want £15 for a complete mirror, I just left the rest of the mirror and took the glass, happy to pay £15 just for the glass

£15 for a b8 mirror ?
get me 10

Just leaving it in the middle position will mean they heat up when required automatically.

Cheers pal, this is why I want to know if the heated mirrors can be switched on when needed other than when it reaches a certain temp, when the mirrors are misted up after a wet night I would usually switch on the mirrors that would clear it, but if they are set to auto heat then it won't

I thought that the mirror heaters in Audis had thermostat "protection" and not a thermostat to allow them to come on, ie the thermostat avoids burning out the elements. When I moved from VX Cav GSI 4X4 to VW Passat B5 2.8 4Motion, I stupidly assumed that it was clever/smart to leave the mirror switch on the heater position, thus avoiding accidentally adjusting the mirrors when bumping into the switch, and making the assumption that by doing that, the mirror heaters would always come on with the heated rear window (like the GSI did). About 12 months down the line, I read on the USA Passat forum that people were trashing their mirror heaters by doing that - checked mine - both heaters burned out, so bought new mirrors and only used the heaters when needed.

Cheers pal, this is why I want to know if the heated mirrors can be switched on when needed other than when it reaches a certain temp, when the mirrors are misted up after a wet night I would usually switch on the mirrors that would clear it, but if they are set to auto heat then it won't

I don't know if yours work a bit different than mine then? I just leave mine in the middle position all the time unless I actually need to adjust them.

An example is if there's some frost I'll start the car and go round scraping the windows, but the time I get back in the car the mirrors are clear. That's just leaving it in the auto position.

Would yours not do this?