Guide to retrofit footwell lights front/rear

johnnevett

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my guide to retrofit footwell lights front and rear to a Audi A4 (B8 chassis)
This is the way I chose to install the lights and will accept no responsibility for any damage/ injuries caused by following this guide, others may have different ways to do this, so please use this as a guide only

Ok, so I ordered the kit from RobinA3, a member on here, which was made up following measurements I gave him as this is the first A4 her has made the kit for. The kit was made to a very high standard and arrived very quickly.

Tools I used were:
Flat head driver to prise fuse covers off
Torx T20 bit
8mm socket
Torx T50
Rigid cable to fish cables under carpet and behind centre console
Insulation Tape

The kit:

So this is how I chose to do the install:
I started by removing the drivers fuse panel cover

And removing the piece of trim below the steering wheel which was held on by 3x 8mm bolts

Once the bolts are removed the panel will just pull loose and then the OBD port will need to be unclipped to fully remove the panel

And then removed the glovebox by removing the passenger side fuse panel cover and there are 6x 8mm bolts in total holding in the glove box, 3 inside, 2 below and 1 behind the fuse cover

The glove box should now pull out and unplug the brown plug to completely remove

once these are removed you will see the route for the cables to run behind the centre console

I then remove the trims on the bottom of the door that run towards the centre of the car to run the cables to the drivers and passengers seats for the rear foot well lights

Next to make life a lot easier the front seat should be removed with the T50 torx bit but I couldn't for the life of me get these out so decided on a different way

Under the seat you will see this black cover, remove this

Then with a rigid bit of cable, I used a piece of twin and earth (im a spark ha ha) I fished this between where the bottom trim was removed and where the black cover was removed

You are aiming for this under the seats

and wired

Re fit the black cover and tidy your cables, I tied them to the existing cables under the seat

then fit the cables down the side of the car, following the existing cables to the passenger footwell where you need to tape these cables and the ones for the front passenger together and fish them the drivers footwell behind the centre console, again I used a piece of rigid cable

Repeat this process for the rear drivers side footwell light and you should have all your cables ready to connect into the J519 module in the drivers footwell

Ok so now the connections
you are looking for the J519 module which is located in the drivers footwell right up at the top, a real PITA to get too

you need to remove the row of fuses but just unclipping the them and remove the piece of black air ducting by removing the T20 torx screw

Once you have located the J519 module you need to find the black plug (D) and the Grey connector

For the black connector you need to slide out the purple slider and push the pin into slot 14 which is marked on the plug itself, and the cover on the grey plug slides off and the pin goes into slot 17, again all numbered

find a suitable point for grounding both wires, any bolt should work, sorry forgot to take a pic of this
Once connected tidy all your wires and refit all trim pieces in reverse to how you took them off and plug all the lights in place
Now comes the programming:
09 control module, 07 long code helper, Byte 16 and tick Bits 0,1 and 6
then in
56 Radio module, 07 long code helper, Byte 8 and tick Bit 7
info from here:
post 70: Retrofit Footwell Lighting - Page 3 - A5_OC

And Enjoy:

Hope this helps people out
Thanks
John

Reactions: scobie140, Joaquim Nunes, ScottishA4B9 and 4 others
Great Guide,
Fitted a glove box light to mine Yesterday and it was fairly straightforward, can't believe a car that cost as much as this new doesn't even get a glove box light.
Will probably be doing this as at some point in the future.

Karl.

Any info on the glove box light also ? Costs etc like you say it's annoying

There is a thread on here somewhere with the info and details.
This is all you need.

And one of these

ADD A CIRCUIT- FUSE TAP - PIGGYBACK FUSE - TAKES STANDARD FUSE | eBay

The part numbers for the light / wiring and connectors

light 8D0 947 415
connector housing 893 971 632 x 2
repair wires 000 979 133E X 2

In total the parts were about £20.
Just a matter of dropping the glove box down about 6 8mm headed small screws. Fitting the light in the hole in the top of the glovebox, chopping the one wire with enough to run to an earth and the other to a supply.
Just borrowing one of Johns pictures from above. You can pick up an ignition switched supply or a permanent supply with one of the fuse taps I linked to on Ebay.
You will have to extend the one wire to reach the power as it's not long enough.
Looks like John has already got something tapped into on these fuses. The bank of brown fuses closest to the camera appear to be ignition switched.

DSCN0016

Karl.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9 and RS5 JON
Heres some pictures of the fuse tap in place.
If you want a switched 12v put it here

If you want a permanent 12V put it here.

Karl.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
I know Audi now make LED footwell units, can these work with the B8?

Reactions: Joaquim Nunes
I know Audi now make LED footwell units, can these work with the B8?

Just buy the LED bulbs for the lights. Blue LEDS would look nice for the footwell lights.

Great guide by the way! It's good to see more of these on the B8 Forum. Although this looks tricker than my bumper and Grille removal. Don't know if I'm brave enough to remove seats and mess around with wires.

Last edited:
Yes, if you tell Robin you want the OEM LEd lamps used in the B8's he will make the looms up with them instead.

Trups

Thanks Trups, very kind of you to refer on to Robin. Do OEM LED's work okay? No weird errors or anything?

Just buy the LED bulbs for the lights. Blue LEDS would look nice fir the footwell lights.

Great guide by the way! It's good to see more of these on the B8 Forum. Although this looks tricker than my bumper and Grille removal. Don't know if I'm brave enough to remove seats and mess around with wires.

If the seat removal is the same as the B8 it's simply just 4x triple hex bolts.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Thanks Trups, very kind of you to refer on to Robin. Do OEM LED's work okay? No weird errors or anything?

Hi.

I also buy looms from robin so happy to recomend his stuff. OEM LED's work fine, you would need to code that you have LED footwell lights so it stops the canbus check and monitoring. it will be towards the end of the bytes and you just tick it.

I have just made this glove box light kit up for John to try out - the kit will be plug and play ready to go. Once I get the go-ahead from
John that the kit is all ok then i can supply them to other members (I prefer to know that the kit is 100% ok before I sell them). Price wise the kits will be £25 posted.

Reactions: RS5 JON, johnnevett and ScottishA4B9
Yep i would be interested also!:)

Is anyone offering a full lighting kit ??? glove box, foot wells and doors ? as I would like this.

Ah I see RobinA3 is ill drop him a PM and see if he does the door kits as well ...

Last edited:
I can supply the following lighting kits:

Front footwell light kit
Rear footwell light kit
Door puddle and warning light kit
Glove box light kit

Please pm me details.

RobinA3 can you PM me a breakdown of the costs for the 4 lights sets you've listed above. All using the OEM LEDs if possible. Thanks.

Anybody else up for a group buy? I think someone would need to set up an official group buy thread as per forum rules?

Last edited:
How do you remove the bonnet release to get the drivers side sill cover of if that's what its called i cant for the life of me figure out how

@t8ups

Last edited:
Reactions: t8ups
pull the release and hold it, then get a flat head in the side and you will see a clip, pull that out and it will get that off, then behind there is a Philips headed screws holding the panel in too.

Trups

Hi john,
I just finished my installation (only front lights) with a kit from Robin and installed it with your guide since i have a A4 B8
And they are not working..

Just so you know for coding i can't go into 56 Radio module because i have a other mmi.
I needed to go into the hidden menu and put some settings on.
+ When i got the option to check footwell lights front and rear i only checked front since i don't have rear installed. Maybe i need to check to both ?

Also i'm not so sure if i did it correctly here is where i put the red wire in:
http://postimg.org/image/4lh8l751r/
number 14
and the other wire i bolted on ground

Is there anything i did wrong so they are not working ?

I have just checked and you have used the wrong connector.

For the front footwell lights you need to go into the grey plug into pin 17.

The rear footwell lights use the black plug into pin 14.

So today i was going to use vcds to check the box i have the rear footwell installed as well,
since i plugged in my front footwell in pin 14 ..

But again i'm getting a problem. Error 31: Request out of range

I have tried many things but nothing seems to work.
I can deactivate everything or only check bit 6
Yesterday i only checked bit 0 and 6 but this doesn't seem to work today either..

I was supplied by the site sponser a kit to connect the front and rears together and just use pin 17. I too could not activate the rears via vcds
I don't know for sure but could it be that in pin 17 there is already a cable connected ?

Everything works fine now.
For people who didn't understand where the pins need to be.

- (+) Front foot lights T32a (gray connector) pin 17
- (+) Rear foot lights T17L (black connector) pin 14
- (-) Bold on to chassis.

For people with a mmi 3g / plus the vcds coding in 56 Radio module is not going the work, this is only for the mmi basic. This can be activated through your hidden menu.

The VCDS issue was resolved by installing the front foot wells correctly.
I only checked i have installed the front footwells and not the rear..

I'm not sure but i think you need a sort of closed circuit so the module can get a good response from it.