EM TuningSky Insurance
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rum4mo

Thread: Engine Oil

2nd Gear

Status

Engine Oil

Car: Audi A4 1.8 TFSI 170hp 2013

Sorry to be a bit of a noob but when it comes to engine oil I'm a bit confused.

My Audi manual says that I should used VW 504 00 for (flexible) service or 502 00 for (fixed) service.

1) Now it doesn't specify if I should use 5w30 or 5w40 (according to Castrol search function)?
    2) What's the difference between a flexible and fixed service?

If I just wanted to top up the engine oil, which oil do I use? I checked my service bits of paper and it doesn't say what was put in.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Right "fixed" and "flexible" servicing, "fixed" is fixed by fixed mileage and time, maybe 10,000 miles or 12 months, service warning will can on when one of them has been passed. "flexible" is dependant on how the car is used, ie so many cold starts, short journeys, miles and ultimately so many months - in average use this might roll out as 15,000 over 18 months. The dealer was meant to alter how the car was set up after seeing how you ended up using it in a bid to cut your motoring costs. Special oils that could "keep good" for extended periods of use were used for flexible service, and normal oils were used for fixed service. Now, I think, to avoid any confusion, only long (flexible) service oils are used. Fixed service is best for a longer engine life, flexible service is better for fleet manager's budget! I'd stick with using either Castrol, as named on the filler cap or Mobil 1 ESP and use 5W-30 to save energy - a bit.

I think that I've read that Mobil 1 ESP was used by Audi in my 3.0TFSI - so I'll stick with that. Maybe look up "oilman"s site as he seems to sculk around most car web forums!

Of course, as I come from 2/3 of the way up the country, maybe I should use 5W-30 and you should use 5W-40 - but I'd be surprised if that is true!
    Last edited by rum4mo; 10th February 2014 at 21:15.
    Liquidfusion likes this.