Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add scousefly1367 on Facebook Add scousefly1367 on Google+

HELP?? What tyre size

I currently run 245/40/18s on my B8 Audi A4 SLine. Im looking to fit some winter rubber for a trip to somewhere snowy so what size do I need to get? Should I stick with the 245s or can I use a narrower setup.......say 225/45/18????

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Follow X_Splinter On Twitter Visit X_Splinter's Youtube Channel
    The larger the tyre is the better grip will have.
    So grab a 245.
    The only advantage of a narrower one is the price and the car fuel consumption
    Truth is Engineering

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow rezulteo On Twitter Add rezulteo on Facebook
    Simply enter your car's details here and suitable tyre sizes should come up

Tyres, compare tyre prices. Which tyre? Where to buy?
    All tyres for Audi and tyre news, advice, tests and comparisons on http://www.rezulteo-tyres.co.uk
    Follow us on Twitter !
    Like our Facebook page !

Reverse Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Cheers guys the comparison site says I can use both an to be honest I think 225 is sufficient. I agree about the grip in the summer months but think that winter and snow skinny is better, after all look at the rally tryes I know they are studded but they are skinnier than usual

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by scousefly1367 View Post
    Cheers guys the comparison site says I can use both an to be honest I think 225 is sufficient. I agree about the grip in the summer months but think that winter and snow skinny is better, after all look at the rally tryes I know they are studded but they are skinnier than usual
    No mate, you need more grip in the winter and snow. it's physics the larger the better. The wider tire has more surface to grab the road before it slips laterally, so it gives you better handling. However they are more expensive

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status

Reverse Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Not convinced mate, a wider tyre basically plows through snow were a skinnier tyre would cut through snow

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by scousefly1367 View Post
    Not convinced mate, a wider tyre basically plows through snow were a skinnier tyre would cut through snow
    It's your car so it's up to you mate
    Truth is Engineering

1st Gear

Status
    If driving on snow then get the narrow tyres. If just cold weather /ice then wider
    Audi A3 Sportback S line 1.8 TFSI S tronic - Scuba Blue
    Technology package - High with Audi Connect/Interior lighting package/Driver assistance package/Light and rain sensor package/Adaptive Xenon Plus headlights with variable range control/Advanced key/Aluminum roof rails/Audi pre sense/Auto-dimming rear-view mirror/Bang & Olufsen/Door mirrors-dimming, electrically adjustable,folding and heated/Heated seats/Audi side assist/Audi active lane assist/Rear side airbags/Tyre pressure loss indicator

1st Gear

Status
    I'm running 245/40 x 18 winter tyres, Michlin Pilot Alpin PA3 (97V) XL. They are real good, serious wet grip, similar in dry too, they are also quiet, more than I was expecting.
    The ride quality is nice too, very comfy (I was on 19's), no tugging, pressures are 40F-36R (as per Michlin website)

I can't say what they are like in the snow yet, as since I put them on, it ain't stopped raining and that was in the new year!, they good in the rain though.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post

Exactly, has that person ever tried physics - maybe have a look at what Audi suggest in their "winter tyres" section. I'm sure that you know the best bet is two sets of wheels. One thing that might "fix" your choice is, for every rim width there are a range of preferred tyres widths, with that in mind, Audi, when they suggest a winter tyre/wheel combo tend to offer a narrower section wheel to suit the correct winter tyre they have suggested. In my case, I have an S4 that came with 19" wheels, so I bought the alternative 18" wheels and fitted the M&S size suggested on the door pillar in the full knowledge that they were not the ultimate best size for winter use, but they suited the Audi wheels I bought for winter use, and will probably sell on when I sell the car - buying the complete Audi package would have cost more and left me wheels that were narrower than normal to sell on later.
    Last edited by rum4mo; 8th February 2014 at 10:50.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Audi.Quattro View Post
    I'm running 245/40 x 18 winter tyres, Michlin Pilot Alpin PA3 (97V) XL. They are real good, serious wet grip, similar in dry too, they are also quiet, more than I was expecting.
    The ride quality is nice too, very comfy (I was on 19's), no tugging, pressures are 40F-36R (as per Michlin website)

I can't say what they are like in the snow yet, as since I put them on, it ain't stopped raining and that was in the new year!, they good in the rain though.
    I've got the same but PA4's with the curious asymmetric tread pattern - I find the Michelin site a tricky/useless to navigate, I've forgotten the pressures I'm running - though will have them written down some where! Yes, they do seem okay as far as I can tell from driving on heavy frost - and as you say lots and lots of rain.

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit SI-W85's Instagram Channel
    Skinny tyres for snow otherwise they turn in to a sledge if they are too wide, but whatever you go for they will be better than summer tyres.
    Custom stainless straight through quad pipe, S5 brake callipers, Black diamond grooved discs, red stuff pads, S4 diffuser, EGR delete, stage 1 remap, 19" staggered X5 wheels, G23 custom adaptors, stretched tyres, window tints, coilovers, vag com mods, K&N, led interior lights, led number plate bulbs, pressed plates, black edition grill. Plenty more to be done.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by X_Splinter View Post
    No mate, you need more grip in the winter and snow. it's physics the larger the better. The wider tire has more surface to grab the road before it slips laterally, so it gives you better handling. However they are more expensive
    Sorry, must disagree with this. As various other posters have said, for snow the thinner tyres are the better as they 'cut' through the snow to make contact with the road, whereas wider tyres tend to 'sit' on the snow surface .

2009 S4 Avant, manual trans.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    i thought everyone knew thinner tyres for snow
    the poster that says wider
    please when its snowing come drive my beemer running 285 and my fizzy running 185/55/14 god its better than a rangy

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    i thought everyone knew thinner tyres for snow
    the poster that says wider
    please when its snowing come drive my beemer running 285 and my fizzy running 185/55/14 god its better than a rangy
    Well my wife's Fiesta she had about 25 years ago, had something like 135/80 x 13 and they were even better than your 185/55 x 14 - in fact you could jump it up on top of snow piles, but then when you drove on, the handbrake cables would get ripped out of their storage clips and dragged on the road - that spoiled the effect quite a bit (who is that idiot?).

My brother in law, once had the misfortune of inheriting a BMW CSI with the big tyres - in ice and snow, even after pressing all the buttons, progress was very slow - me, I had my brilliant Cav GSI 4X4 at that time, no fuss, just safe quick progress, and that was before I had thought about using winter tyres. Actually, I seem to remember I parked up, went back and pushed him round as he could not even turn that thing round in ice and snow.
    Last edited by rum4mo; 10th February 2014 at 21:33.

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by rum4mo View Post
    Well my wife's Fiesta she had about 25 years ago, had something like 135/80 x 13 and they were even better than your 185/55 x 14 - in fact you could jump it up on top of snow piles, but then when you drove on, the handbrake cables would get ripped out of their storage clips and dragged on the road - that spoiled the effect quite a bit (who is that idiot?).
    Truth is Engineering

1st Gear

Status
    That is nothing like me, and I hate that stuff!