Failing to start ?

chris199

Reaction score
Evening guys one of the lads I work with owns a 2009 2.0 tdi saloon and has just changed the battery on it and now it is failing to start ? They new battery is fully charged and connected properly, when the fob is inserted the dash lights up as should and goes throw it's system check then when you goto push the button to start the dash light just go dim as if it's trying to start but nothen happens and it just clicks, I know it sounds like the battery's dosent have enough juice to get it going but it has plenty power in it.

any help would be much appreciated

have you checked the battery for charge ? if yes how and what with and what is in it ?
iv had new and they have needed a charge.
also what batt has he got as they need codeing to the car but this wouldnt stop it starting

You can try jump starting the car to see if it actually is a problem with the battery or not.

Halfords once sold me a battery (using their stupid online system) half the size of my original, it worked fine at first but then drain over time and didn't have the juice to start my car, even though it would power the electrics.
Brought it in for them to check and some old geezer there working said it was a problem with my alternator! Had to speak to someone else there to get the battery replaced with a like for like of my original, which has been fine ever since.

Yeah battery fully charged has 12.7 volts more than enough, also we tried jump starting and it just did exactly the same, am possibly starting to think solonoid on the starter motor ? Also I should add the car is an automatic

Do you have to have the brakes on to start ?
maybe a failed brake light switch.

Evening guys one of the lads I work with owns a 2009 2.0 tdi saloon and has just changed the battery on it and now it is failing to start ? They new battery is fully charged and connected properly, when the fob is inserted the dash lights up as should and goes throw it's system check then when you goto push the button to start the dash light just go dim as if it's trying to start but nothen happens and it just clicks, I know it sounds like the battery's dosent have enough juice to get it going but it has plenty power in it.

any help would be much appreciated

May sound a bit bit obvious, but check the battery terminals are tightened properly and are clean, a poor connection will give exactly the symptoms you are describing.

Does it turn over at all when you try to start it ?? If not you need to move the starter motor position then try to start it is this manual ?? If it is put it in gear with the hand break off and rock the car forwards and backwards just to move the starter motor an inch or so then try to start it if that works then it's the starter motor .... If this is an auto/trip then I have no idea how you can turn the starter motor easly ...
A

Also why the battery change ?? Was the old one tested and found to be US ??

Yeah al ask him all these questions tomorrow I'm hoping ipthe battery terminals are tight as that's a very basic mistake of there not, also it is an auto so I don't think that will work Anthony :(, well I'm not 100% sure as to why the battery change I never tested it but he said it was nakerd, I think the battery light was showing on the dash but that could just mean the bat isent getting a full charge but could also be a fault with the altinator or any of the charging system ?

Thanks for all the help guys I will try find out more info tomorrow about it and will get back to you

It's looking like it was the starter, the garage came and took it in and there saying they think it's the starter, cheers for the help tho guys