2.0T Petrol or 3.0TDi Diesel

Djwoody

Reaction score
I currently own a A3 2.0 TDi 170 remapped to around 220bhp.

As I have a baby on the way I'm now looking for a 4 or 5 door.
Two cars I have in mind are the A4 2.0T Quattro or 3.0TDI Quattro.

I'm sure both cars have their own benefits but I was just wondering can anyone recommend one from experience?

Or do I go down the 5dr S3 route... Hmm...

Chris

Friend has the 2.0T Quattro S-tronic and I have the 3.0TDI also S-tronic. Pretty evenly matched on paper. 3.0 is more torquey, slightly quicker, slightly better mpg. 2.0 has wider rev range.

B8 A4 is quite a bit bigger than the S3, particularly in the rear seat area. However I'd be tempted by a 5 door S3 if you think its big enough for your needs.

A 6 month old baby girl and I praise my estate as the do it all best ever car I've had.

3.0 6 cylinder diesels with an altered or performance exhaust sound so good these days.

B8 A4 3.0 tdi Quattro Avant all the way .

S3 sportback and it's great with our little one. Just make sure the pram fits in the boot. We drop one side of back if load up the car for a week or so away. Plus nimble and fun for when the little man isn't in the car.

We have baby 2 on the way and I'm considering changing car but would've lost too much on it. May get roof rack if we have any big journeys.

Last edited:
I own a 3.0 tdi quattro b8.

Absolutely love it. I have ads so the throttle response is spot on.
It is really quick and bombproof reliability when looked after. Far better than your old 170 tdi.

I've heard the 2.0t is a great engine. Just be careful not to get one that is prone to high oil usage followed by new pistons etc. I'm not sure exactly what 2.0t engines were affected by this.

I think the engine choice depends on your mileage really. I'd go for petrol with lower mileage. Although saying that I do really low miles with my 3.0tdi but it came up with so many options I couldn't say no. Plus I'm a dirty power fan :)

Thanks for all your replies. I think the best all rounder will be the 3.0 tdi. Just need to wait for the price to come down a little so it fits my budget. Plus I'm very fussy on colour/mileage/spec.

Reactions: V6 Quatt
Thanks for all your replies. I think the best all rounder will be the 3.0 tdi. Just need to wait for the price to come down a little so it fits my budget. Plus I'm very fussy on colour/mileage/spec.

Definitely the right choice, best engine by far in the A4, very smooth and effortless drive, put yer foot down and it's very nearly as quick as an S4, 500nm torque makes for huge mid range punch for easy overtakes, take it easy and get 40+ mpg. The thinking mans choice. Usually better specced than the lesser engined cars too and mega reliable, they don't seem to get messed about with by the home tuning fraternity as much either. I'd recommend the s tronic (DSG) box & quattro too.

Great info thanks.
Has anyone got any pics of your 3.0 Tdi Quattro? Would love to see them... :)

I was in the same position a few months ago 2.0 tfsi or 3.0 diesel. I don't really do that many miles so fuel economy isn't such a big issue but having a previous diesel 1.9 Passat with 200 + bhp I like the way diesels go down the road. I wasn't interested in an auto so eventually managed to find a 3.0 TDI manual B8 with reasonable mileage at a reasonable price.
There aren't that many B8 3.0 TDI manual avants around, you will have more choice with a 2.0 TFSI but the oil consumption issues and potential for HPFP problems put me off the petrol.
There are some pictures of my car in the build thread I am doing.

Karl.

Currently looking for a 2.0 tfsi because i'm worried about DPF issues with the diesel due to my low mileage...

What does HPFP mean? Is there any tell tale signs to identify which 2.0 litre tfsi gussel oil?

Currently looking for a 2.0 tfsi because i'm worried about DPF issues with the diesel due to my low mileage...

What does HPFP mean? Is there any tell tale signs to identify which 2.0 litre tfsi gussel oil?

This is the second car I've had with the 3.0 TDI DPF engine and I've never had a problem, the car's mainly used for fairly short commutes, 7 miles on A & B roads. I know a few people with DPF equipped cars and we have a Nissan Navara DPF too that's done 130k miles and none of them have had problems, maybe just lucky ? But in truth I think it's a topic that's become a bit over egged.

HPFP is high pressure fuel pump, not sure about which engine codes to avoid, no doubt some one will let you know, otherwise look down the exhaust tail pipes, they should be clean with only a very light coating of residue, if they are black with heavy sooty / oily deposits look elsewhere.

The 3.0tdi seems to be fairly exempt from DPF issues. Not totally sure why.

I've been looking at getting a spare 2nd hand DPF for my car to get my original one gutted but they're mega rare to find because the 3.0 DPF is pretty reliable apparently

3.0TDI All the way.
I was in a similar boat to you but I had a mk2 TT 2.0tfsi and needed something bigger because our second little one is on the way.
Test drove both cars and the 2.0T felt gutless after the torque fest that is the V6 TDI.
In the real world though, as mentioned, there is very little difference in performance. the V6 picks up slightly quicker than the 2.0T, but from then on it's pretty even.

I've since remapped and removed the DPF, and will be removing the rear silencers this weekend with either straight pipe sections or sport silencers depending on how loud the straight pipes are.

Very happy so far.

Reactions: kanecullen89
I'm thinking of selling my 3.0tdi Quattro black edition in White if you're interested.

Last edited: