iPod with MMI, slightly annoying issue

A4 Matt

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Had a quick look with the search function so hopefully this hasn't already been covered/answered (if it has and I missed it I apologise!)

Basically I have an ongoing issue with using my iPod in my car, & I'm wondering if this is a common issue & if so is there a known fix? The problem I have is that my iPod/stereo seemingly keeps forgetting where it left of last, not always but quite frequently. I have mine set to play "tracks" with "mix" also selected so they come in random order (obviously), & sometimes everything is Ok and upon restarting/ getting back in the car the stereo fires up and goes right back to playing where it was last time I was in the car.

Sometimes though (& for no reason that I can fathom) the system seems to take longer than normal ( to me anyway) to "initialise", & when this occurs it's as if the iPod/stereo has somehow reset itself, forgotten where I left it & has jumped back out of the "tracks" folder and it will be in the "artists" folder, (which I think is the 1st folder) and you have to pee around jabbing the return button to come back out, go back into tracks and click to mix the tracks up again.

As I say I can't seem to see any real pattern as to when or why this has happened, other than it's when the stereo is "initialising" when you 1st fire it up/go to start the car, but other than that it seems really random and sometimes it will sit for a week or more and remember where it was last, but then others it will loose it's position after only a few mins/ few hours??

Can any of you shed any light on this at it just seems so random!? It is one of only two real niggles I have with the car (this being the biggest/most annoying for me to be honest), if it IS just one of those stupid things you have to learn to live with then so be it, at least I'll know it isn't an actual fault of the system, or that my iPod is goofed!

My car is a 2013 A4 black Ed with audi concert/ bang & olufsen system by the way!

Cheers
Matt.

Hi while I have not noticed the same issue you have described I have noticed that the car does forget if I have it set to repeat album and random play but it always continues with the sone and album it was playing when I was in the car last. What iPod are you useing as I am useing an old 5th gen 30 gig one so I was thinking this might be the issue as it quite old.

Mines the same, when it initialises it randomly starts playing the first track of the first artist. I have moved to using the sd card as I am fed up with the same track but the sd card doesnt work with every track some tracks wont play on the sd card and I don't know why.

Hi while I have not noticed the same issue you have described I have noticed that the car does forget if I have it set to repeat album and random play but it always continues with the sone and album it was playing when I was in the car last. What iPod are you useing as I am useing an old 5th gen 30 gig one so I was thinking this might be the issue as it quite old.

Mine is ( I think) an old 5th Gen Nano.

Mines the same, when it initialises it randomly starts playing the first track of the first artist. I have moved to using the sd card as I am fed up with the same track but the sd card doesnt work with every track some tracks wont play on the sd card and I don't know why.

Yeah I have tried copying all my iTunes music to an SD card too, and I too find that some (quite a lot infact) won't play, you notice when it gets to those tracks they just appear "greyed out" and there is a message about "can't play,corrupt file"?? I've tried converting ALL my music to AAC format thinking it might be that, but no it still won't touch some tracks, keeps greeting em out with the corrupted message??

If I could nail it down, ad to why it thinks some of those files are corrupt id fix it n move to SD instead of the iPod as the keep loosing position thing is annoying! In fairness Audi Sheffield DID say they were willing to have a look at this for me when I went and complained about it, and they even swapped me my AMI cable for a new one too - thinking it might be that, but no it's still happening!?!

One thing I have noticed though (& I've seen this before with my old gen 1 iPod that I used to have), is that when you bring the iPod in on occasion, say to sync to add new tracks, if you look at the ticker bar whilst it's syncing you will see it bring up some songs as "syncing" & they'll be songs you've had for ages??

Now I haven't noticed this as yet with my current iPod, but with my old one, you would be scrolling through and it would skip some listed tracks and not play them! Once you brought it back in though and re synced it with iTunes, you'd see those songs come up on the ticker bar as being "synced", and after that they'd play again fine! This is something that kept happening too, and it's partly what made me get rid of the iPod and get the newer nano, but now I'm seeing that same thing (well kind of) with this one??

This is the reason WHY I haven't let Audi have the car to check it out yet as to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure it isn't a fault with my iPod! Thing is though I am reluctant to for out for a new one just incase it isn't the iPod that's at fault, & also I'd have to get one of those adaptor thingies as well because the new ones will be the lightning connector won't they!!

Well I have been out today and made a point of looking at the mmi startup and today was one of the times it took a few seconds longer to start but it continued to play from the song it was on yesterday ...

What software version is your MMI on Matt ?? I wonder if there is an upgrade as I am sure I have read something about a recent update fixing some iPod issues just not sure were I have seen this.

Well I have been out today and made a point of looking at the mmi startup and today was one of the times it took a few seconds longer to start but it continued to play from the song it was on yesterday ...

What software version is your MMI on Matt ?? I wonder if there is an upgrade as I am sure I have read something about a recent update fixing some iPod issues just not sure were I have seen this.

Don't know what version it's on mate, it'd be whatever it had when I collected the car from the dealers!?, how do you tell what version your on?

Select MENU, SETUP MMI, scrol down to version information.

I picked my car up in the last week of September and my version number is HN+_EU_AU3G_PO662

Also Matt does your car display album art for all devices ? When playing tracks from the hard drive and SD cards I get album art but not from the iPod ?

Also Matt does your car display album art for all devices ? When playing tracks from the hard drive and SD cards I get album art but not from the iPod ?

Ahhh,

I think you must have a different setup to mine, have. You got the tech pack with the on board nav where the thumb wheel is down next to the gearshift?

Mine is a non nav system with the thumb wheel on the dashboard and a such it doesn't display anything except for track names etc

Ahhh,

I think you must have a different setup to mine, have. You got the tech pack with the on board nav where the thumb wheel is down next to the gearshift?

Mine is a non nav system with the thumb wheel on the dashboard and a such it doesn't display anything except for track names etc

Ah yes sorry I forgot to say that I do have the tech pack ...

Sod's law then I'll be stuck with whatever firmware mine came with,

No I am sure you will still be able to update the software from the SD card slot ... I will find out if there is a later version.

Hmmmn.Issues with ipods lol.They are a pain in the ****.Take an age to initialise, and are slow to navigate.Sometimes hangs on a track, and wont play the one selected resulting in pulling out the cable to re-initialise.Some tracks greyed out and unplayable.Have tried nanos, touches and classics (160gb...the worst) same grief. All tracks recorded as mp3 320kbps 94db having been tagged and run through foobar and mp3 gain.Solved by using an sdhc card or a usb stick. Not one problem now.And very quick access.