A4 2.0TSI - Acceleration lag on startup

Napbree

Reaction score
Hey guys,

A family member has an A4 Avant and on startup when it's cold, if you try and accelerate when its stationary or moving slowly there is a massive lag before anything happens. It's hard to explain but it's definitely not the lag of a petrol engine without a turbo.

I did try and search the forum but couldn't find anything. Is this like anything that anyone has heard of? I've tried doing an accelerator reset thing which didn't work.

It's a 2010 A4 2.0TSI Automatic Quattro Avant. It's only done 10k.

Cheers

It could just be the power band. The turbo doesn't seem to kick in till mid range revs. Mine was like that until I had the engine rebuilt and the new ecu update and now it's like a totally different car. It has much more power in the lower rev range now and no turbo lag like it did before.

I don't know for sure but my s-tronic seems to slip the clutch a lot just after startup when it's cold. Especially noticeable if it is trying to get up a slope as well.

I don't know for sure but my s-tronic seems to slip the clutch a lot just after startup when it's cold. Especially noticeable if it is trying to get up a slope as well.

Interesting, I noticed this morning that when I went to accelerate out of a junction, it revved and then clunked before it went forward. I haven't tried going up a hill yet, but I will try. Sounds like it could be similar?

I am not sure about S-Tronic but the Multi tronic 7 speed defo suffers when its cold. But after about 20 secs its fine, it is usually just the first shift.

My 2013 A4 defiantly has something limiting the car on cold startup as you cannot put your foot down when it's just been started it takes a few seconds .... I was assuming they had something in the ecu doing this ?? Or am I wrong and I need to be heading back to the garage ??

No I don't think you're wrong, my car does a similar thing.
On a cold start, when I'm reversing out of my garage, and then change gear to move forward, there's always a few seconds delay before anything happens.

I am not sure about S-Tronic but the Multi tronic 7 speed defo suffers when its cold. But after about 20 secs its fine, it is usually just the first shift.

It wont be a multitronic because its Quattro.
Either s-tronic or tiptronic.