Anyone had a go at fitting a black headlining?

Jamie-S

Reaction score
I've got a black headlining lying around along with the pillar trims, but seems like a lot of effort fitting it ie taking the windscreen out!

Is the windscreen out really necessary or is there another way?

I could get the windscreen took out by a friend who works for autoglass but seems drastic...

Anyone had a go?

Just don't like the way the interior is mostly black but the headliner and pillars are cream'ish I think it would look a lot better all black....

I've never tired it but I have seem some right horror stories about headlining fitting.
It's meant to be a right pain to do!

I don't mind doing it but if it's windscreen out I might pass

who told you the screen has to come out ?
total BS
very easy to get in and out

who told you the screen has to come out ?
total BS
very easy to get in and out

It says to do so on elsa....

Have you done it before then mate?

How did you find getting the grab handles off,or did you use the proper tool?

Thanks

yes quite a few on the B7 2 on the b8 saloon

it comes out the back door

Measured the door and boot openings today, roughly the widest part of the headlining is 47" the door and boot openings were 10/15" smaller than that so to get them in there you would need to bend it a fair bit?

as above i have done them in the b8 and b7/6

just be careful it goes through the door

id even go as far as saying you do the hard work ill take the old out and put the new in
you do all the removeing re instaling etc
price depending on where u are

just to prove a point im willing for petrol money
to call down on my next 4 day break

I just want to be sure before I start striping everything out to be honest lol

I'm also wanting to do the same.
Got a couple ear-marked on t'bay. I replaced the headlining in my Mini with an alcantara one which wasn't too much of a job (it had a roll cage in to make it harder!). Like others said, careful manipulation to get it out the boot!

What's a good price for lining, a.b.c pillars and grab handles? Other than the front light cluster (I have the ambience kit on its way in black), is there much more to it? I'm Leeds based and will happily take you up on your offer Bez :D

It is a pain but can be done, I have done my old B7, and about to remove the black headlining to put old back in. Out the back door as Bez101 states, just gotta be patient and take your time. Moving front seats back and forward to make it easier to manoevre.

Mac

I will be gutted if I can't get it out after removing all the trim :( done grab handles, sunvisor etc will do the rest another day after work

Headlining is ready to come out, what position did use put the seats to?

I put the driver's seat and seat back as far forward as possible, and the passenger seat as far forward as poss and the seat back flat, just to give a gap to manoevre it out, then I took it out the o/s rear door. Might be a wee bit of tiral and error tho'...... most important bit tho'....... be patient lol

I put the driver's seat and seat back as far forward as possible, and the passenger seat as far forward as poss and the seat back flat, just to give a gap to manoevre it out, then I took it out the o/s rear door. Might be a wee bit of tiral and error tho'...... most important bit tho'....... be patient lol

I've got the old one out, did a bit of fiddling.

Did get a few creases though but I suppose it don't really matter as no one will buy a cream headlining anyway lol

Any tips for getting new one in with minimal creases?

I think I removed the rear bench seat, but must admit no creases during removal / refitting tho'

as mac posted thats the way i do them
no the rear bench pulls up from the front either side
needs a sharpe tug you may snap the clips but there not may ££££ from audi

Reactions: Macdoon
Ok, will be attending it in a day or two. Not looking forward to it though.

So you don't physically remove the seat bases just flick um forward?

yes you remove it
once you pull upwards and unclip it
it just pulls forward and slides out
gices you just that extra bot of room to get it in