• 1 Post By Spares
  • 1 Post By dts439
  • 1 Post By kanecullen89
  • 1 Post By Mr-C
  • 1 Post By Audi.Quattro
  • 1 Post By NotNormal
  • 1 Post By Spares
  • 1 Post By kanecullen89

Thread: A4 avant 3.0 tdi Quattro - owners thoughts please :)

3rd Gear

Status

A4 avant 3.0 tdi Quattro - owners thoughts please :)

As the above states would love to know what u think of it, handling, economy, power. Was looking at a black edition one iv specced but not sure if it's worth the extra wonga for price, road tax or is the 177 2.0 a better car to run and buy?
    Cheers
    Audi A3 2010 2.0 TDI 140 Black Edition

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieWebs View Post
    As the above states would love to know what u think of it, handling, economy, power. Was looking at a black edition one iv specced but not sure if it's worth the extra wonga for price, road tax or is the 177 2.0 a better car to run and buy?
    Cheers
    Are you looking to buy new or used ? How many miles a year are you driving?

I've been through the exact same thought process recently for replacing my existing B8 3.0 TDIq (which itself replaced a B7 3.0 TDIq)
    2010 A4 3.0 TDI Quattro S-Tronic S-Line Sp Edition Avant

3rd Gear

Status
    Was looking to buy new, seems to be some great deals to be had by using brokers.
    Newish second hand cars are very expensive.
    Probably do 10k a year give or take

Neutral

Status
    Cheers
    Only had mine six weeks, (black edition Avant quattro) but I've done 2500 miles in that time. If you want economy go for the 2.0, the V6 is a fair bit thirstier, I'm averaging 32mpg which I am perfectly happy with, but don't expect to see anything like the official figures. The engine is a gem, very smooth and powerful, overtakes are a doddle as the mid range punch is fantastic, and the 7 speed s-tronic box is a great match with seamless changes, I just leave it in auto which pretty much covers every situation. The ride is hard, but not uncomfortable, the handling is excellent, it's a quattro after all, and the brakes are very powerful and progressive. Tax is £175.
    If you are looking at buying new expect to loose £15k in the first year, if used they are very thin on the ground with a high spec, I think Audi approved only have two or three black editions nation wide, but hundreds of 4 pots, so you'll need to be prepared to travel for the right car.
    You know you want to, so go buy, you won't be disappointed.
    RobbieWebs likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Interesting,

Buying new certainly gives some better PCP deals etc. Ultimately choosing the 3.0 over the 2.0 is going to require more than standard 'man maths'.

Comparing a 3.0 TDI Quattro with the exact same spec as a 2.0 TDi Quattro will show a 4k difference in price. Even after discount you are still paying a headline price £3500 more than the exact same 2.0. It doesn't stop there as the residual figure on a PCP will be pro-rata worse for the 3.0. So bottom line is you are paying for the privilege of having the V6. The PCP monthly figures were about £80 more a month for a full specced 3.0 over a 3 year term.

For 10k a year fuel costs are not going to be as significant. The 3.0 in the current 245PS version is more efficient than my own which still gets 40mpg on a mixture of motorway and local trip. I'd worked out probably 5mpg worse for my usage which is only about £10/month.

To see if I should go for a 2.0 I finally got to drove a 2.0 TDI Quattro auto. Basically it was fine. It was reasonably quick and still very smooth. Top gear was slightly lower than my own 3.0 so it was very slightly busier on the motorway but in 99% of my driving it would have been the same as my 3.0.

Despite all the factors pointing to the 2.0 I'm still planning to get a 3.0. I think I'd miss the 1% of the time that you can use (abuse?) the extra performance. Its also great just being a bit different.
    RobbieWebs likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks for ur replies guys
    Originally I wanted a new S3 but with another family member on the way and the boot being tiny it was a no no.
    Always loved the shape of the Avant and love the black edition styling and extras.
    Really I was looking for something with a bit of grunt but economical ish.
    Coming from a 2.0 tdi (140) it's deffo nippy but I soon got bored with the power.
    Until I test drive a 2.0 170 Avant to see what it feels like my feeling is that being a bigger car it will feel the same kinda power mine offers now.
    Dunno if that makes sense lol.
    I definitely know that once I test drive the 3.0 v6 that will be myself wanting one.
    Being 37 I'm not too over the hill yet and still like a spirited drive or 2 now and again, the rest of the time the car does school runs and shopping trips.
    Can get a new car for the price of some of the nearly new second hand ones.
    Deffo think about a PCP deal.
    Do u have any idea how much deposit/ monthly repayments would be on a PCP?

Cheers

1st Gear

Status
    I have a B8 3.0 tdi quattro saloon.

The engine is amazing. Worth the extra I'd say. Mine has 240ps and 500nm torque so it shifts. Power is put down effortlessly with quattro.

Reliability is top notch with these. I haven't heard and horror stories like you do with the 2.0 tdi engines and turbos.

I came from an 8P A3 140 2.0 tdi. It's worlds apart when it comes to speed, outright power, refinement and reliability.

I average between 30 and 45 mpg depending on town or motorway driving
    RobbieWebs likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Ok its a B7 but I love my 3.0 and I came from a 2.0, have to say fuel wise there is hardly any difference but power wise its a cracker. I would only ever want a 3.0 now
    RobbieWebs likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Just moved from 170dsg Skoda to the V6dsg Quattro and TBH the 2ltr is a great tool, but the V6 is in another league.

The V6 is not really necessary, but it sure is nice to have.
    Last edited by Audi.Quattro; 25th December 2013 at 13:22.
    RobbieWebs likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Just a quick question does the 3.0 use much oil?
    How much are u for servicing?

Cheers

Robbie

Neutral

Status
    Just a quick question does the 3.0 use much oil?
    How much are u for servicing?

Cheers

Robbie
    I've not long had my oil and filter service at Audi - came to me at £150 inc vat

Oil usage - my 100,000 mile 3.0 A6 has used 1/8 of the dipstick in 10,000 miles at about 280/290 bhp
    Not excessive by any means
    RobbieWebs likes this.

Neutral

Status
    So far , none. My last car was a VW Touareg which had the same engine and I never had to top up the oil in that between services which came in at around 15000 miles on average. Looking at some of the threads regarding oil consumption it appears to be the petrol engines that are affected by high consumption, I've had two stroke motorbikes which use less oil than some of those !. I can only imagine that the servicing costs will be similar to the Touareg which was £223 lowest & £355 highest.
    I trust you've made a decision ?
    RobbieWebs likes this.
    2013MY B8 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Avant quattro 245ps Black edition in Moonlight blue, S-tronic box, Nappa leather, 3G MMI, Technology pack high etc etc etc, 19" Rotor design with Conti sport contact 3's.
    Smoooooooooth mover.

1st Gear

Status
    My cars not used a drop of oil.

I'm not sure about servicing costs due to having free services at the minute
    RobbieWebs likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks very much guys for answering my queries, been a great help

The service cost was just an after thought but doesn't seem that more expensive to me than what I would be just now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spares View Post
    So far , none. My last car was a VW Touareg which had the same engine and I never had to top up the oil in that between services which came in at around 15000 miles on average. Looking at some of the threads regarding oil consumption it appears to be the petrol engines that are affected by high consumption, I've had two stroke motorbikes which use less oil than some of those !. I can only imagine that the servicing costs will be similar to the Touareg which was £223 lowest & £355 highest.
    I trust you've made a decision ?
    You would be correct looks like il be ordering a A4 3.0 in the next year
    I know I'd be kicking myself if I got a 2.0.

3rd Gear

Status
    I take it with the A4 it has the same order/build/ delivery timescale?
    Cheers

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for ur replies guys
    Do u have any idea how much deposit/ monthly repayments would be on a PCP?

To give you an idea for a 10k deposit on a 41.5k value car (after all discounts/contributions) I was quoted around 580/month over 3 years with a 15k balloon. However the monthly figures can vary considerably depending on the funding numbers you end up with.

Neutral

Status
    My car is 4 years old. The V6 diesel is still in fantastic shape and best of all it doesn't sound like a diesel either. I get 32-35 mpg on my drive to work and that's lots of stop, start and crawling along at 30mph. I've heard lots of scare stories about the DPF not surviving these short trips, but I've had no problems. I do however take it for a 20-30 mile drive every 2 weeks to keep the DPF healthy. As for oil, my 84k engine has not used any measurable amount in the last year and it went through its MOT last month with no problems.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Yip, great engine, just effortless and fun to drive.
    I don't use a bit of oil between servicing either.

Its just that bit more special i think than the 2.0 ltr.

5th Gear

Status
    I've heard the 3.0 is abit of a beast but I've never had the chance to experience one.
    I had a 2.0 TDi 177 (granted it was an A6) for 2 months and I was pleasantly surprised by the performance, although the mpg is pretty poor!
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit

6th Gear

Status
    If I was spending that money then for the tiny increase then I'd be tempted to get the S4. If fact that's why I ruled it out. Since I do low mileage the fuel economy difference doesn't make much difference. Then I realised I don't need the performance of the S4 as it's mainly the wife's car.

Instead I spent more than an S4 on my 2.0T
    MY2010 B8 A4 Avant 2.0TFSI quattro S-line Executive
    Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    Gone : B6 S4 (AMD stage 3), TT (APR), Golf GTi, CBR600F