Is Re-map good idea for a 2.0 TDI S-Line with Warranty

mkosucu

Reaction score
Hello Guys

I am really stuck on this and pulling my hair...

I have been driving 320D(177 BHP), and decided to change my car. Looked at the deals, and 320Ds(New Shapes) are expensive, therefore, decided to go for a 2.0 A4 Sline(I got a nice deal and very low mileage). It is 60 plate.

the BHP on this is 141, and I think I will miss the performance and agility which I had in BMW. I had a look at the ECU re-mappings and seemed sensible to boost my performance with another 45 BHP(Maybe?) I have a few questions on this, if you could help me...

1) Does ECU remapping make any damage to engine in long term.
2) Does is hit MPG badly?
3) I am buying car from Audi Dealership, so it has warranty(1 year). if anything goes wrong(not necessarily due to re-map), will dealership be able to find out that ECU is remapped?
4) Do audi dealerships offer such service?(This might be a stupid question)
5) What is the max BHP I can get with remap(Safely)?

Many many thanks for helping me on this in advance.

Regards

1) If you drive it like you stole it then it probably won't last as long maybe only 200K miles instead of 250K, any kind of performance improvement has an impact on life of components, with remaps it's usually clutches that suffer most.
2)Usually remaps have no effect or a small positive effect on fuel economy, however driving it flat out everywhere it won't do as many mpg.
3)Yes if they have a look they will be able to tell if they know what they are doing and they choose too.
4) Not that I know too http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b7-chassis/32388-warranty-approved-remap.html
5)Somewhere around 180-190bhp is reasonable.There is a lot more to a remap than the raw numbers it's easy to tweak the boost or the fuelling a bit more to get more torque or bhp.There is plenty of choice companies like Revo are good they have a 20% sale at the moment Revo | Innovative Hardware and Software Products for Audi, Ford, Porsche, SEAT, Skoda and VW vehicles

Karl.

Thanks for this Karl. Much appreciated.

regarding 1, it is automatic car, does this make this less dangerous or less risky?

Good replies from desertstorm.........:o.k:

(No.4) Audi do offer a remapping service through MTM. It is very expensive though and this is the only remap that will allow you to keep the warranty on your car. I know they use MTM up here in Scotland but I dont know if its nationwide. Best to get a 'Doon Sooth' verdict on that one.....lol

and regarding, 5, can I do it?( I am a software engineer, at least I understand the principals of the software) or I need someone to do it this this revo stuff?

Do your homework first regarding who you use for remapping. Top 5 companies offering good deals and maps are

1. Shark Performance
2. Revo
3. Bluefin
4. APR
5. JBS

If you wanna go down the custom mapping route the 2 best are on here also:-

1. R-Tech
2. Badger 5

All maps are slightly different from company to company so know the differences before committing. Your ECU will need to be removed regardless of which company you use.

And no you can't do it. I have seen and heard on numerous occassion people saying they bought a map for £50 from Joe Bloggs, uploaded it and the car ran like a bag of nails and it cost x-amount to rectify. The phrase 'You get what you pay for' is relevant here.

I've had a few different maps on different cars

mk3 seat Ibiza had super chips which just put it into limp mode all the time and then had a AMD map which was great
mk5 golf gti had revo stage 2 which was fantastic but then went for a gt28 and had a custom map by ray west of west tuning . Again very good but £1500

my money would go on a revo any day of the week

depending on who maps your car yes audi can tell . there is a flash counter on the ecu if the company doesnt reset this to 0 then you can tell ,but if you need any work doing at audi and they plug in the computer you may well lose your remap if they do a software update . ecu has to be removed on a 2010 unless it has been remapped before . usually mpg goes up rather than down . probably 40 bhp safely