Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By DrSasso
  • 2 Post By ianv5

Thread: Replacing Tyres Question

5th Gear

Status

Question Replacing Tyres Question

Hi All,

I'm replacing my tyres on my front wheel drive A4. Is it best to have the tyres with the most tread on the front?

Thanks
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Statement retracted as been proven wrong

ignore/wrong:
    (given that it's a FWD I would say yes want the most grip for traction and turning so deffo the front would have preferance in my opinion )

correct: back tyres put onto the front and new tyres put onto the back.
    Last edited by DrSasso; 26th November 2013 at 12:26.
    ScottishS3 and Audi Dynamik like this.

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit SI-W85's Instagram Channel
    I've got a set of pirelli p zero rosso tyres only done genuine less than 400 miles 235/35zr19 y rated, only want £250 for the pair they cost that each so a bargain for someone who wants some good tyres...

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    so you have a set or a pair ?

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit SI-W85's Instagram Channel
    Oh sorry I have a pair of 235 the others are 295s my mistake

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSasso View Post
    given that it's a FWD I would say yes want the most grip for traction and turning so deffo the front would have preferance in my opinion
    Wrong answer!

New tyres need to go on the back!
    Just Google it.

You need more grip on the back incase the front does go the back will hopefully keep you on the road.
    kanecullen89 and SI-W85 like this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ianv5 View Post
    Wrong answer!

New tyres need to go on the back!
    Just Google it.

You need more grip on the back incase the front does go the back will hopefully keep you on the road.
    Not the case with modern cars like the A4. ESP takes care of any grip problems at the rear. So fit your new tyres to the front for maximum traction.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafi View Post
    Not the case with modern cars like the A4. ESP takes care of any grip problems at the rear. So fit your new tyres to the front for maximum traction.
    Most tyre/car forums sites suggest new on the rear, can't find many posts suggesting you fit new to the front?

However my car being a Quattro I will probably have to change all 4 at once!

6th Gear

Status
    I found with my Quattro that all the tyres worn out evenly ian
    Just as long as you don't scrub the front tyres while stationary like the wife has a habit of doing :@
    Her 2011 Limited Edition A4 Dynamik 2.0 Tfsi quattro 211 BHP Saloon & Mine 2013 Bmw 535D M Sport 313 Bhp 630nm.
    ***Audi's In The Park***The Biggest Audi Event In Europe 10th August 2014*** http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audis-park-aitp-2014/221933-audis-park-2014-show-10th-august-billing-aquadrome.html
    Reputation given for the best answer.

2nd Gear

Status
    I've always been told that best tyres go on the rear. Theory being that understeer is a lot more easy to control than oversteer. If your fronts lose grip and you're not going to fast for the road conditions you can normally regain control quite easily. If you lose grip on the rear it's a lot harder to control and you'll probably end up in a ditch. ESP can only help you if your tyres can actually grip. With low grip conditions the 'power' of the systems abilities are limited

Neutral

Status
    When I did a Traffic Patrol Course with the police, we had some input from the Transport Research Laboratory, at Thatcham.
    They showed us video footage of exactly this problem. When you brake heavily, the weight of the car is pushed forward, over the front wheels. This makes the back of the car lighter, and the front heavier. If you have less tread at the back, it is more likely to let go, particularly in the wet, when aquaplaning is more prevalent. It is therefore always better to have the best to the back, regardless of whether it is front or rear wheel drive. I would stress that this has been proven, and isn't just an opinion.
    Last edited by enoliver; 26th November 2013 at 10:06.

1st Gear

Status
    well I got schooled xD I retract my previous statement....maybe I remembered it wrong.

5th Gear

Status
    Well I have 2 tyres that are 8mm and 2 that are just over 7mm, so it makes no odds really. I will put the 8mm on the front as they wear quicker.
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit

5th Gear

Status
    Regardless of the amount of tread the most important thing is to buy quality tyres with grip . Fit ditchfinders with 8mm of tread all round you will be worse off than somebody with part worn decent make tyres. All tyres are not equal.
    When I bouight a car a few years ago it had nearly new Accelera tyres on the front. They were truly awful in the wet regardless of the fact they were nearly new. I had wheelspin when accelerating from roundabouts and junctions without a great amount of throttle and prolific understeer on roundabouts. I bought some part worn Continentals to replace them after about 2 weeks of owning the car.
    The car was so much better dry and wet, especially in the wet.
    To have fitted those tyres on the back would have been mad, they shouldn't have been on the car in the first place.

Karl.

5th Gear

Status
    I've got Continental Contact Sport 5P's to put on all round.