AH FabricationsChris Nott
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Broken Byzan
  • 1 Post By Daggerit
  • 1 Post By NHN
  • 1 Post By A3BE
  • 1 Post By dieselguy

Thread: 2013 A4 Avant "Clunk" braking in reverse!!

Neutral

Status

2013 A4 Avant "Clunk" braking in reverse!!

My 2013 A4 Avant Black Edition has a very noticeable "clonk" when the brakes are pressed when moving in reverse, has anyone identified the cause or had the same issue on their B8.5 model? I have spoken to my Audi Dealer and they said it was a "characteristic" of the brake pads moving in the calliper which I do not accept as the clonk is quite severe and has only appeared during the past 2,000 miles (car has covered 5,000)

Any pointers to the cause greatly appreciated.

Dave
    2013 - Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDi 177 Black Edition - Ibis White

Factory Options
    - Alcantara/Leather S-line Trim - F&R Park Assist - Storage Pack - LED Interior Light Pack - Factory Tow Pack

Mods - Full LED Interior Lights - Hoen Xenonmatch Fog Light Bulbs

Previously - '09' A3 1.8 TFSi Sportback Black Edition, '08' Q7 3.0 TDi S-Line Fully Loaded, '57' Honda Civic 1.8 Sport, '06' BMW X5 3.0 Sport, '06' Seat Leon 2.0 TDi FR, '05' BMW 323i M Sport Convertible .........and too many more to mention!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    pads moving would be correct, but usually on worn high milage cars.

DO NOT accept it as a characteristic, perhaps find another dealer?
    A3BE likes this.

4th Gear

Status
    I definitely don't have this issue...
    A3BE likes this.
    Daytona Grey A4 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Tronic Black Edition

Neutral

Status
    Cheers for the replies guy's.......the clonk noise referred to is quite severe when reversing and applying the brakes the sudden clonk noise sounds like I have hit a bollard!

I am due to attend a meeting over at my Audi dealer today to discuss this issue further......but as usual with these "characteristic" defects the "computer will say no"!!

Factory Options
    - Alcantara/Leather S-line Trim - F&R Park Assist - Storage Pack - LED Interior Light Pack - Factory Tow Pack

Previously - '09' A3 1.8 TFSi Sportback Black Edition, '08' Q7 3.0 TDi S-Line Fully Loaded, '57' Honda Civic 1.8 Sport, '06' BMW X5 3.0 Sport, '06' Seat Leon 2.0 TDi FR, '05' BMW 323i M Sport Convertible .........and too many more to mention!!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Fitting some pad shims fixes this on the 345mm found on MK5 R32, S3 & 3.2 8P chassis, done this myself, but as above it should be addressed by audi on such a new car.
    A3BE likes this.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status
    I would look at the front subframe tbh my mk5 golf did this and was fixed by changing shims
    Mk1 2l 16v track hack - gone
    mk2 gti 8v - gone
    mk2 gti 2l 8v - gone
    mk2 vr6 show car - gone
    mk3 Ibiza Cupra - gone
    mk5 gti big turbo - gone
    clio 172 - gone
    land rover discovery mud plugger - gone

a4 sline avant
    passat fishing hack

Neutral

Status
    Attended Audi, accompanied so called master technician on road test and no "Clunk".....typical.........Technician confirmed nothing they could do unless the noise can be reproduced.......a simple request for the dealership head of business soon alters their stance with my car booked in for further investigation next week

Factory Options

Neutral

Status
    Well my A4 Black Edition is with Audi ATM and so far they have changed the front brake pads in their attempt to resolve the "clunk" when braking in reverse.

My A4 is also blighted with a very notchy 1st - 2nd gear change, Audi have changed the gearbox oil to an unconfirmed spec and want to change the clutch and flywheel which is concerning on a car that has covered only 6000 miles. I'm in a loaner ATM so until my A4 is returned I will reserve judgement on whether Audi's attempt to cure the aforementioned problems has been a success!

Factory Options

6th Gear

Status
    Funny this thread should pop up as my A3 has started doing this recently too. Front pads changed 3 weeks ago.

Will get it looked at.

Neutral

Status
    Well got my A4 Avant BE back from Audi after a week in their workshop......"clunk" whilst braking in reverse was identified as coming from front brake pads. My A4 had also inherited the poor and notchy 1st and 2nd gear change coupled with a judder at the top end of the clutch pedal. The gearbox was removed and confirmed "hotspots" on the flywheel, subsequently a complete new clutch assembly and flywheel was fitted. Additionally the gearbox oil was replaced with a thinner viscosity oil, all the aforementioned covered under manufacturers warranty.

Pleased to confirm that the gear change has a marked improvement over pre oil change, clutch operation is smoother and the "clunk" has been eliminated.....now to get on with enjoying the car😀
    SI-W85 likes this.

Factory Options

handcrankywannkyspanky

Status
    Good for you mate.In my case the clutch judder would never happen when at the dealers. Understandable that they wont act unless they can have it demonstrated.As I work in a VAG dealers now, i understand the frustration of the customer, but believe me the amount of people booking an appointment for something that is not apparant is massive.My poor gear selection was also sorted after a change of oil.All this on a new car (albeit four years ago).
    Pass me my sock

Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

Neutral

Status
    Johnnythepie I can well believe what you are saying re the amount of customers reporting faults that do not exsist or cannot be replicated at the dealers. Fortunately for myself I am qualified and have worked in the trade for 25+ years so can accurately describe and relate to the issues that afflicted my A4.

Half the battle for the technician is to obtain a good description of any issue that requires further investigation. My experience and knowledge also realise that unlike many customers I never get fobbed off by technical excuses or "characteristics" often blamed by many dealers for the problems on new cars. I have to admit that the clutch judder was quite slight on my A4 and only apparent when the clutch was hot after driving in stop start traffic, as such i did not think it would warrant a replacement, however Audi tech thought it necessary to pull the gearbox out and my suspicions proved right as there were hotspots found on the flywheel and a replacement was authorised. Likewise the clunking whilst breaking in reverse, my wife took my A4 into Audi on my behalf and was fobbed off by a master tech who confirmed that the clunk is apparent on all A4's and is a characteristic of the brake pads moving!!..... That was until I took the car in and it was eventually accepted as a defect and corrected under warranty.

Factory Options

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi mate

Did the garage just change the pads to get rid of the clunk? Have same issue when reversing, I changed pads myself about 7 months ago used apex, have since heard negative feedback about them, any thoughts on pads or stick oem?

1st Gear

Status
    Glad you got things sorted. In my experience you have to persist until they investigate further, as they are likely to try to get rid of you otherwise (especially under warranty).
    A3BE likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by a43.0v6tdi View Post
    Hi mate

Did the garage just change the pads to get rid of the clunk? Have same issue when reversing, I changed pads myself about 7 months ago used apex, have since heard negative feedback about them, any thoughts on pads or stick oem?
    The pads were replaced and a unspecified copper anti seize applied.....Audi did not go into too much detail. The "clunk" has been cured to date so fingers crossed it will stop that way, although I have heard of many other issues that can cause the "clunk" in particular sway bar links!

Factory Options