2009 A4 Avant S-Line - Brakelight Bulb Replacement?

mpc

Reaction score
My drivers side brake light is out and i'm trying to find out if it's a straight forward fix. The owners manual only describes a boot style rear and not estate.

Is there any info on how to do this?

In your boot you will have a access door on each side of the boot. Pull down the drivers side and look in and back towards the light. Have a look for a plastic nut and undo. Once it's off your light cluster will pull off the rear of the car. Once released unplug the cable on the back of the unit. You can then change the bulb. It goes back the same but in reverse. Once you dig around it's quite self explanatory.

In your boot you will have a access door on each side of the boot. Pull down the drivers side and look in and back towards the light. Have a look for a plastic nut and undo. Once it's off your light cluster will pull off the rear of the car. Once released unplug the cable on the back of the unit. You can then change the bulb. It goes back the same but in reverse. Once you dig around it's quite self explanatory.

Many thanks, I will have a look and try this myself...

I had a look and can see the plastic bolt that needs undoing. When I get the cluster out - how do I know which bulb is the brake light as it appears there are about 3 bulbs in there?

I had a look and can see the plastic bolt that needs undoing. When I get the cluster out - how do I know which bulb is the brake light as it appears there are about 3 bulbs in there?

Perhaps the one which doesn't illuminate when the lights and indicators are on and you press the brake pedal?

haha, i was waiting for the smart alec question! Bit difficult to see when you are by yourself tho. Just thought someone may have known before I remove the cluster.

hehe made me chuckle xD this is where a small umbrella comes in handy....or anything really that you can put on the brake and wedge up against the seat ;)

or you could use a multimeter if you have one to hand and check the resistance between the contacts. If there's resistance the bulb works, if none then it broke :D but give it a shake as it might be just touching even though it's broken. :)