Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

Westfalia tow bars /Coolant upgrade?

Hi All,
    my A4Avant (2011) has a Westfalia detachable tow bar fitted, reding their website yesterday it says the A4 should have the coolant upgraded
    can anyone shed any light on this and is their an easy way to tell if this has been done?
    thanks in advance for your help
    Regards Andrew

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Hi All,
    sorry the above should read " Coolant System Upgrade"
    Regards Andrew

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I can only think the coolant mix being different, but I run a 50/50 mix anyway which was great in Italy for a whole summer which gets ridiculously hot, so cant imagine would be an issue towing.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Neutral

Status
    Thanks VCDS, I'll check the coolant with my Hydrometer at the weekend, I've never heard of any modern engines needing the cooling system upgraded when towing, it's not like it's got a massive towing capacity, unless the Auto box needs a bigger oil cooler or something along those lines.
    My car will be on its limit when I tow or there abouts but I wouldn't have expected it to be a problem
    thanks for the reply
    regards Andrew

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    NHN to be exact :P

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Neutral

Status
    I retrofitted the tow bar to my Avant and I never did any upgrade to the cooling system.
    And I have been driving Oslo-Croatia in 35`c With a 1600 kg caravan with no overheat problem.

Only thing you need to do is reprogram the ESP, Motor Controller, Parking help module, Electric controller, etc to know there is a tow bar Attached. I did the installation myself incl coding in one afternoon.

Neutral

Status
    Of course it is NHN, I'm easily confused lol, the tow bar was already fitted when I got the car Offpist, so I'm guessing everything's as it should be, guess we'll find out soon enough lol

1st Gear

Status
    Fan system and alternator upgrades were required on earlier cars ... They were not tow prepped.

pretty sure that from 2010 on they started prepping whether bar was ordered on build or not and fitting the updated fans as std.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for that Spr0cket, I guess I'm only gonna know when I hitch up n put the car under load
    something I would never have thought needed doing if I hadn't read it on Westfalia's web site
    thanks again for all the info
    Regards Andrew

1st Gear

Status
    I tow a pretty heavy caravan, 1800kg, with a 08 3.0tdi a4 cab, got the bar fitted last year but no change to cooling system. It copes fine but the only issues I've had was when towing up a very long hill to The Lecht ski centre south of Braemar when I could briefly smell hot coolant. At the top I checked levels and found I had lost about a pint of coolant somewhere, no signs of leaks though and temp remained stable at 90 deg throughout which mystified me somewhat.

On subsequent long climbs I open the windows, turn a/c off and heater to max. The air blown out the vents is incredibly hot and seems to make the difference between the coolant level dropping.

99.9 percent of time the car is perfect although I leave a couple of litres in the caravan just in case.

Neutral

Status
    Hi Stevieb2905.
    ive been on Witters web page and there's no mention of needing to upgrade anything, tho I did own a Shogun sport a while ago that used to get very hot on a long drag with the caravan on the back but was fine any other time.
    Once I get a chance I'll give if a run out with the van on and take it from there, but thanks for your input, I'm more intrigued now than worried, a drag up the Lecht would test most cooling systems I reckon.
    thanks again Andrew

1st Gear

Status
    No probs, I tried to find out about potential cooling system upgrades at the time but couldn't get a definitive answer, even audi couldn't help. Standard setup seems fine though.

Neutral

Status
    Audi recommend that you upgrade to twin cooling fans if you only currently have a single fan etc... loads on this if you Google. Have a look at this:
    Towbar madness? Audi A4 Avant
    Phantom Black B8 3.0 TDI Quattro S-Line Avant going forward..... and 3.0 24v Manta going sideways

Neutral

Status
    Thanks 5102 IA I'll see what Google has tow offer
    regards Andrew