Automatic gearbox "slipping"

Cupid Stunt

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm after some advice before I go and book my car in at Audi (or contact the independent garage that sold me the car).
My car sits on my drive which is on a slight incline, when I put the car into drive and start pressing down on the accelerator the car starts moving forward but when it hits a little more of the incline it stops moving and I have to apply more to the accelerator until the car decides to kick in and almost shoots out of the drive.....the gearbox oil was changed within the last 1000 miles and the car has covered 42000 miles...

Any idea's\advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards

You haven't told us anything about the car, engine type, gearbox type, year etc.

Instead of it being a problem with the gear box, it could be the car trying to override the automatic handbrake? I'm guessing the car is fairly new, as this can sometimes take a bit of getting used to! I normally apply the handbrake doing very steep hill starts, and I experience what sounds like your description every now and then.

I've noticed something similar with my 2012 3.0 TDI S-Tronic. I just assumed that it was the transmission slipping the clutch a little bit on the incline then once it realises it's on a slope it engages it more?

If you end up taking it to Audi and that's not right it would be great to know...

I did initially think it was something to do with the handbrake, maybe a slight delay from disengaging it, but as a test I disengage it, wait 10 seconds just to be sure and get the same result with the car coming to a stand still with a delayed\non responsive reaction to the additional acceleration.....
I've owned several automatics (BMW X5, Mercedes C-Class, Lexus IS250) non of them with a gearbox that reacts like this....

I'm guessing your car is an 8 speed multitronic (so not a standard torque converter auto).

Mine is the 7 speed S-Tronic with the dry clutch and seems to behave very similar as I've said...

remember they have hold assist too, so even with the handbrake off on an incline, I guess it could give that impression?

I mentioned that it was a multitronic as the other auto cars you mention I think all use torque converter autos which are much better IMHO at manoeuvring speed tasks. Multitronic and torque converters work very differently. The early Audi multitronics got a bad press but I thought the latest ones were meant to be much more reliable

The S-tronic is another type of gearbox again (effectively a manual with two clutches), and in my experience can also get confused by inclines when it is slipping the clutch. Not all cars have hill hold assist, I wish mine did!

Yeah, mine seems to start the clutch slipping when it's moving forward. So essentially after any hill hold assistance...