Fuel cap locking

Rodders.

Reaction score
Hello,

My fuel cap opens even when the car is locked. I just checked the manual release and I don't seem to be able to pull it, so guess someone may have done this. I cant see up in there, can only feel.

Is there a way to reset the manual release, or does it all need pulling out?

Its just a solenoid, so the plastic cable just slides this to open & thus remote should then relock, open the flap, then lock the car & see if the bars slides across, if not then its one of: fuse, solenoid, wiring or coding.

ok, will go try. I didn't see any options on the MMI for central locking associated with the fuel cap, so when you refer to coding, what could that be?

Well coding advises the cars, what's fitted & features are available, that's not to say your car has a codable option, but many others do.

Cannot see anything slide across with flap open and locking car. But i cant see anywhere where it would come from.All i see is the plunger that twists and holds the flap closed.

Can you see a hole on a protruding piece of metal stuck to the flap, where the solenoid may slide across into?

Pics?

20131028 15381820131028 15382320131028 15383520131028 153839
Photos attached, am I being soooo blind? (Hence the name!)

Excuse the dirtiness, the outside is much cleaner :yum:

Mine doesn't lock either . Interested in how you guys get on

Mine needed a new solenoid as it also failed. Luckily I had one months warranty left.

Interesting, it looks like some form of lock is integrated into the push button, as it has a part on the end that looks like it twists round into a slot to hold the flap closed/locked as such.

Can you leave the flap open, push in the piston like piece top left of the flap hole, so it clicks in & stays, then see when pushing in or locking if it twists round or not.

Interesting, it looks like some form of lock is integrated into the push button, as it has a part on the end that looks like it twists round into a slot to hold the flap closed/locked as such.

Can you leave the flap open, push in the piston like piece top left of the flap hole, so it clicks in & stays, then see when pushing in or locking if it twists round or not.

just checked mine the push in piston does twist to lock the cap

Reactions: NHN
Is that only when you lock the car, not when you push the piston in by hand?

it spins when you push it in
but when the car is locked and you push it it wont relese
unlock car push it in and it releses and spins back round

Reactions: NHN
Open/shut, locked or unlocked. I can still open it.

Im not convinced the manual release hasnt been pulled and disengaged the solenoid. I need more info on how it all works. I canot pull the manual release anymore. But it also wont go back. If you can put it back without taking something apart.

Bottom line is, if it has manual release, then it must have a lock, otherwise no manual release would be needed for a flap that cant be locked as such, so yes it would appear to be faulty, have to remove boot lining side panel to get to probably.

Mine had the same problem. Ordered the new solenoid and fitting took about 15 min tops.

Is that for a avant or saloon ?

Many thanks

part number for solenoid(its called a throttle control) is=8KO862153H
THE BLACK SURROUND(INSERT) IS=8KO809999D
****SALOON****

did mine aswell a few weeks back,the black plastic surround will have 4 rectangular slats,you need to pierce them to release the tabs,then once the surround is off,you can replace the solenoid(very easy job)...buy both parts first,then you will figure it out easily,around £30 for both parts from tps,or a bit nmore from audi.
Not worth a warranty claim for that price

Last edited:
Hi guys just fitted a new one today NHN that number has now been superceeded with a 'h' at the end

I spent a good hour messing around trying to figure out how to replace it , removing trim etc and all you need to do is open the flap and remove 1 screw and pull the plastic housing off to revel the switch which slides in on 2 locating parts . It really is a 5 min job but sadly took me an hour lol .

I posted this on another forum, but for those that have the problem and are not sure how...

Open the panel in the boot on the right hand side (it folds down) to reveal the red release cord.

e98d5b3b6d06b7e1c013b4431cd131ed_zps0217b7f5.jpg

Tie some string to the release cord (to aid pulling back through)

Next, open the fuel filler cap and remove the single torx screw.

ec3a8a26eb9fdcb89a3a0c6d97f129a7_zps3f4359e6.jpg

Now, using a blunt flat edged screwdriver, gentley prise each of the four corners to release the clips. (The correct way is to push through each corner (theres a small retangle in each corner) and this breaks the clips, which is why Audi will (try) and sell you this part as well, but if you are carefull, they wont break. (i brought this incase but did not break any clips).

Once this is uncliped, it simply pulls out (with the flap attatched) revealing the Actuator itself.

297c7291a74f58e50f127848a54b8873_zpseb9d4f68.jpg

Simply slide this out and unplug the connector on the rear of the actuator. Gently pull it through, untie the string and tie the string onto the replacement pull cord ready.

0e3e3e6a779687ede9a6b84f21caec4e_zps5483e249.jpg

Then, re-connect the plug onto the new actuator, and put it back in position.

Now back in the boot, gently pull the string, to get the red pull cord back through, undo the string and clip the cord back.

Then simply re-insert the fuel flap surround (or new one if you break the clips), and rescrew the torx screw back.

Test its working and job done! 15 mins top!

Only other notes are if you do use a new fuel flap surround, then you need to slide out the flap cover from the old one and slide it on the new one.

Regarding parts you will need the new Actuator, the other items (the fuel cap insert and sticker!) you will only need if you break the clips.

The whole lot cost me £33.34 but with just the Actuator it would have cost £14.01

hope that helps

That's bang on . Could of done with that a few hours ago lol

Do I need to order this from Audi, or is it available elsewhere?

Are you asking this because you consider £14.01 expensive or because the dealers too far away?

Just order from a French dealer or order from a site sponsor Stoke audi who will deliver.

Can anyone tell me where the fuse for this is located, just noticed mine doesn,t lock either, but want to check the obvious first before buying the new throttle control part. A pic of the fuse location would be even more helpful if anyone can oblige.

Cheers JG

it works with the central locking........so in theory if your central locking is working,you need a new unit.
i replaced both parts(actuator and plastic surround) and the sticker that go's on inside of fuel flap £33 inc vat.
Can anyone tell me where the fuse for this is located, just noticed mine doesn,t lock either, but want to check the obvious first before buying the new throttle control part. A pic of the fuse location would be even more helpful if anyone can oblige.

Cheers JG

Reactions: RS5 JON
it works with the central locking........so in theory if your central locking is working,you need a new unit.
i replaced both parts(actuator and plastic surround) and the sticker that go's on inside of fuel flap £33 inc vat.

Cheers mate, makes sense re central locking. I'll get both parts ordered tomorrow and hopefully fitted at the weekend.

Cheers again, John G.

Cheers mate, makes sense re central locking. I'll get both parts ordered tomorrow and hopefully fitted at the weekend.

Cheers again, John G.

no probs,very easy to fit,any probs,il be glad to help

Reactions: RS5 JON
Sorted, took me half an hour, and I managed to save the plastic surround. Cheers to all who supplied info on this thread.JG

I have a Audi A4 and fuel cap stuck, I had to force it open without breaking anything, I pushed the protruding pin back and it does not lock the cap anymore when I lock the car. Pin may have stuck inside when I pushed back with a screw driver.

Any idea how I unjam it ?

Sorry to resurrect an old post.

I have a different issue with my fuel filler flap not opening. I found the red pull string attached behind a blank so didn't need to remove any trim. I managed to open the flap and test the actuator, it works OK when the flap is open (you can see it moving in and out) but when you close the flap it wont open. I did notice that the silver pin feels loose and can move it up and down.

What do you think? is the actuator on its way out or are the bit loose?
I don't want to strip it down if its not necessary, also is it the same process for the 8P?

Thanks
Phil

I posted this on another forum, but for those that have the problem and are not sure how...

Open the panel in the boot on the right hand side (it folds down) to reveal the red release cord.

e98d5b3b6d06b7e1c013b4431cd131ed_zps0217b7f5.jpg

Tie some string to the release cord (to aid pulling back through)

Next, open the fuel filler cap and remove the single torx screw.

ec3a8a26eb9fdcb89a3a0c6d97f129a7_zps3f4359e6.jpg

Now, using a blunt flat edged screwdriver, gentley prise each of the four corners to release the clips. (The correct way is to push through each corner (theres a small retangle in each corner) and this breaks the clips, which is why Audi will (try) and sell you this part as well, but if you are carefull, they wont break. (i brought this incase but did not break any clips).

Once this is uncliped, it simply pulls out (with the flap attatched) revealing the Actuator itself.

297c7291a74f58e50f127848a54b8873_zpseb9d4f68.jpg

Simply slide this out and unplug the connector on the rear of the actuator. Gently pull it through, untie the string and tie the string onto the replacement pull cord ready.

0e3e3e6a779687ede9a6b84f21caec4e_zps5483e249.jpg

Then, re-connect the plug onto the new actuator, and put it back in position.

Now back in the boot, gently pull the string, to get the red pull cord back through, undo the string and clip the cord back.

Then simply re-insert the fuel flap surround (or new one if you break the clips), and rescrew the torx screw back.

Test its working and job done! 15 mins top!

Only other notes are if you do use a new fuel flap surround, then you need to slide out the flap cover from the old one and slide it on the new one.

Regarding parts you will need the new Actuator, the other items (the fuel cap insert and sticker!) you will only need if you break the clips.

The whole lot cost me £33.34 but with just the Actuator it would have cost £14.01

hope that helps
Phil-1,
Is this not what you are looking for? It worked for me. Part number for solenoid (its called a throttle control) is=8KO862153H. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks is it the same process for an A3? I'm still not sure if it is the solenoid, as it works fine when the flap is open. It just won't unlock when the flap is closed

Thanks for the reply. I have asked Dave at Stoke Audi for a price, I did ring Audi Harrogate they wanted £40 + Vat and an hours labour to fit one. :(
It's strange that it works when open but not when closed???