Remove stone chips and haze on plastic headlights - 2.0 TDi S Line 2010

torx

Reaction score
What would you guys recommend on removing minor stone chips and a slight haze on the plastic head light covers?

remove lights ,sand down preferably with a d/a sander flat off with 2000 grit wet and dry then buff with an electric buffer. come up like brand new .

remove lights ,sand down preferably with a d/a sander flat off with 2000 grit wet and dry then buff with an electric buffer. come up like brand new .

Thanks. I would rather not remove the headlights. I have found a couple of kits from 3M and Meguairs, I think I may give them a go.

I would really advise you to remove the headlights ,there a 4 torx screws to each light ,2 at the bottom only need to be loosened ,the lights only take a few minutes each side to remove . if you have to sand the headlights and catch the bumper in the process it will be more difficult and time consuming to polish the scratches out of the bumper than it is to remove the lights.

Might have to do this. Tried to just hand polish yesterday, but they didnt come out much better.

Don't the headlights have a UV coating on them that would be removed if you rub them down ?
I'm sure i read it somewhere.

yep they do but its obvious that its not doing the job ,thats why the lights after a few year are yellowing off . simple solution is to give them a quick polish every few months by hand with a bit of ultrafine compound and a microfibre.
or you could recoat them with a uv protectant

yep they do but its obvious that its not doing the job ,thats why the lights after a few year are yellowing off . simple solution is to give them a quick polish every few months by hand with a bit of ultrafine compound and a microfibre.
or you could recoat them with a uv protectant
what can you use for a uv protector as I would like to do this myself?

Thanks for all the info so far guys. Still need to get round to doing this. Will remove headlights and do it when I have time on a sunny day.