Airbag Light but not the seat bags

NeilOsmond

Reaction score
Hi I have the dreaded Air Bag Light on my A4 Cab, the only posts I see is the ones about the plug under the seat which I have re-fitted and called my local mechanic who came out with his service computer.

His service computer says its the Drivers Steering Wheel Airbag not the seat so the mechanic says it wont be the plug under the seat but behind the dashboard.

Has anybody any experience of this issue and any quick fixes/tricks as I need my MOT

Regards

Id like to see the exact fault code, with vcds you will get a better idea. It could be connections on the slip ring, the module, or the airbag. im not aware of any common faults, but somebody else might chip in. where abouts are you?

Thanks for the fast response unfortunately the mechanic used a proper maintenance terminal rather than VCDS and didnt tell me the code. I will call him and find out the code. I have also recently just brought a VAGCOM cable but the VAGCOM software wont work on my laptop Windows 7 Home Edition it seems I have to upgrade to professional/enterprise or download to Windows XP.

Thanks Again

you have bought a fake vcds ?

and as above code needed,

I downloaded the VCDS off the correct web site but have not registered it yet as I saw on a forum that it doesnt work on Windows 7 Home Edition which is why I havent bothered with it yet. The mechanic is at work and cant remember the code as the print out at home. He used a proper terminal that you can plug into multiple makes and models with a built in printer (like a Till Receipt) and has a code just cant remember it.

That 'proper terminal' is probably a generic scanner, vcds is much more in depth with vag group cars.

You may want to check the VCDS section of the forum, as they maybe be some close to you with a genuine cable that can scan the car.

You also want to get this moved to the B7 or B6 section as they never made a B8 cab, you should get more help.

The code on my car is 00588 Airbag Ignitor - sporadic driver side N95

there you go,

1.6.4 Special Notes
[h=2]00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N95)[/h][h=3]00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N95): Resistance too Low[/h][h=3]00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N95): Resistance too High[/h][h=3]00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N95): Upper Limit Exceeded[/h][h=3]00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N95): Lower Limit Exceeded[/h][h=3]00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver side (N95): Short to positive[/h][h=3]00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver side (N95): Short to ground[/h][h=4]Possible Symptoms[/h]
  • Airbag Warning Light active
[h=4]Possible Causes[/h]
  • Wiring from/to Airbag Igniter Driver Side (N95) faulty
  • Coil Spring with Slip Ring (F138) faulty
  • Airbag Igniter Driver Side (N95) faulty
[h=4]Possible Solutions[/h]
  • Check Wiring from/to Airbag Igniter Driver Side (N95)
  • Check Coil Spring with Slip Ring (F138)
  • Check Airbag Igniter Driver Side (N95)
[h=4]Special Notes[/h]
  • When "Short to positive" or "Short to ground" is found, DO NOT CLEAR THE DTC. This can cause the airbag to deploy. See repair manual for more information.

Thanks for the response but do you know what this normally is, Is it a loose plug or a faulty coil spring, A VW Engineer on another forum says you should cut wires under the seat and reconnect together.....

Looking for some experience of the issue really.....

its nothing to do with the seat bags
read the post i just put up and check the things listed
best i can advise you

VCDS would normally pin point one of the listed faults. it would also prevent clearing the code in a short to positive situation (usually but i guess not garenteed, has stopped me resetting before in this situation though).

it doesnt always pin point the fault
iv had this on 2 cars before same coode
i was the slip ring other was the igniter.