New Member & Soon New S4 Owner

philgr

Reaction score
New to the forum - Hi all :salute:

I have for the last 3 years been the owner of a BMW 335i M-Sport Coupe, but for many reasons its time for a change, it has been the hardest car change i have had to make in a very long car history but yesterday i completed the deal on my first ever Audi

I should collected next week a brand new S4 Saloon, Black Edition, Estoril Blue Pearl, Tech Pack High, B&O etc etc..

Not really sure how its going to compare to the 335i i hope it has the performance of the 335i, but a bit more comfort and practicality with the family, and better equipped to face another rubbish winter (The BM was hopeless, but occasionally fun)

I'm looking forward to being a regular visitor here, expect lots of newbie Q's

Will look to post some pictures when i collect it - fingers crossed this weekend

Phil G

Welcome to the site Phil.

Don't worry, its a nice car, but also once its been remapped, you'll have a grin like Jack Nicholson in batman, the map is phenomenal improvement & gives B8 RS4 a good run for its money, seriously quick.

Sounds a nice car Phil. Welcome to the forum and when you collect remember pics up or it never happened!

New to the forum - Hi all :salute:

I have for the last 3 years been the owner of a BMW 335i M-Sport Coupe, but for many reasons its time for a change, it has been the hardest car change i have had to make in a very long car history but yesterday i completed the deal on my first ever Audi

I should collected next week a brand new S4 Saloon, Black Edition, Estoril Blue Pearl, Tech Pack High, B&O etc etc..

Not really sure how its going to compare to the 335i i hope it has the performance of the 335i, but a bit more comfort and practicality with the family, and better equipped to face another rubbish winter (The BM was hopeless, but occasionally fun)

I'm looking forward to being a regular visitor here, expect lots of newbie Q's

Will look to post some pictures when i collect it - fingers crossed this weekend

Phil G

You will love it!

I came from a 2010 bmw 335d and in my opinion the Audi is way ahead.

Oh, and don't worry about performance; the Audi knocks spots off the bmw, it definately feels quicker and the figures on paper back it up.

welcome to the forum ... i couldnt go back to bmw either ! you are so going to love it!! looking forward to some pics!

Well car finally collected tonight, great service from the dealer

Have only had a 45mile return trip from the dealer to home, but so far really impressed with the quality of the finish, really strong engine, feels much stronger than the 335i , the stop start and electronic handbrake will take some getting used to.

Great sounds from the B&O system, really surprised with the ease of syncing my iPhone and having full access to my spotify playlists

Too dark for photos, car will remain on the drive all tomorrow, but conveniently have some meetings down country on thurs so will have a couple of hundred mile run out to bond with it.

Phil G

Well car finally collected tonight, great service from the dealer

Have only had a 45mile return trip from the dealer to home, but so far really impressed with the quality of the finish, really strong engine, feels much stronger than the 335i , the stop start and electronic handbrake will take some getting used to.

Great sounds from the B&O system, really surprised with the ease of syncing my iPhone and having full access to my spotify playlists

Too dark for photos, car will remain on the drive all tomorrow, but conveniently have some meetings down country on thurs so will have a couple of hundred mile run out to bond with it.

Phil G

Great news - look forward to some pics. I see you mentioned you can stream your Spotify playlists...do you get track info on the MMI head unit? Didn't think it could do that...

Great news - look forward to some pics. I see you mentioned you can stream your Spotify playlists...do you get track info on the MMI head unit? Didn't think it could do that...

Checked tonight with regards to the spotify playlists, got In the car with iPhone in my pocket and it connected up straightaway and displayed artist and track on the main screen as well as on the dash display, no album art - but later on it connected and didn't display anything just the name of my phone and nothing else, I could forward through the tracks

It appears to be a bit hit and miss - further investigation required

Car mileage so far 62miles - long run out planned for tomorrow to go to some meetings, will have a play with the adaptive cruise control and lane change gizmos, not really sure I an trust the adaptive cruise

Phil G

Well i have had the car for close to 2 week and put 500 miles on it - so far very very pleased with it.

Some of my observations so far ...

Build quality on a par if not better than the BMW, ergonomically very well thought out.

Very different to drive compared to the 335i, the S4 gives you that planted feeling due the the AWD but does not feel as nimble as the BMW especially the front end of the car the S4 feels heavy, but more secure on the road.

The ride quality is a massive improvement on the BMW, no longer crashing and banging down poor quality roads (we have a lot near me)

I cannot make my mind up about the Stronic gearbox, it is soo easy to be in the wrong gear at the wrong time, the car seems to be in a hurry to get to 7th gear all the time, and as such seems to get caught out by hills, and bends, with you needing manual intervention to drop it a couple of gears so as not to get bogged down - maybe i just need more time with the car adjust my driving style.

My car has the adaptive cruise control, in the past i have not been a fan of cruise, but i have to say i really like the adaptive cruise - i can see my using it a lot on long motorway runs

Lane assist - turned it off - more of an annoyance than a help

Fuel tank - it appears that the fuel gauge is a tad on the conservative with reporting how much is left in the tank, i filled up when the car reported 20 miles till empty and could only get 50ltr in the tank so i think i had approx 2 gallon left in !!

Overall its the car i wanted and i am very pleased with my very first audi, i wanted something that retained the performance but more practical for the family, more comfortable on the poor quality roads that we all now have to put up with, and more capable to deal with the random weather

IMG 0033

glad your enjoying your new car. Hopefully you'll get used to the gear box, having said that our b6 s4 always changes gear too soon and i cant help feel that maybe audi had to hold back with the s4 to make sure that the rs4 that much better?! your car looks lovely and its in the best colour too :0)

Nice car glad you like it. With regards to the gearbox, I find D is great for just pooling around town but it will go up through the ratios very quickly so I tend to use S quite a lot and I'm also finding manual mode enjoyable for when I'm in a bit more of a hurry and for those 2nd gear roundabouts when I want to see what the diff can do!
This is my first auto and to be honest I really like it - must be getting old!

Lovely car. I just got a late 2009 S4 Avant and I've kind of sussed the S-Tronic box now. I must say that initially I bought an Allroad and hated the S-Tronic on it and was very tempted to buy a manual S4 with the sport diff - in the end I'm glad I got the S-Tronic version. Economy is not one of the S4's strongest points so I think in 'D' the box will change up as often as it can to get some sort of bearable mpg. However chuck it in SPORT and I've found this is brilliant when you want a spirited drive - everything seems much more urgent.

Just a quick tip for those getting a used or new S4 - get the B&O! I'm getting it retrofitted to mine, the difference between Audi's standard system and B&O is huge.