Advice on buying A4 SE compared to S-Line please (ride quality/ harshness)

1mm3

Reaction score
Hi,

Just a bit of history so you know what im used to/ coming from:
1st VW Golf 1.4
2nd BMW e46 M3

The M3s rear spring broke about 2 years ago and I replaced using eibachs (cheaper than OEM). The M3 had 19 " OEM alloys. Together with the eibachs, the ride quality was really poor especially on local/ bumpy roads.

The m3 was sold on the weekend (Car was getting old, 02 plate, not practical as 2 door and running costs both mpg and insurance, group 44 was getting too much).

Im looking at a Audi A4 (B8) 1.8t FSI. The SE cars are cheaper compared to the s-line but I am prepared to pay extra for the s-line package (the alloys look better, the car generally looks better on exterior, sports seats and different steering wheel etc.) My ONLY concern is the ride quality, there are lots of threads complaining how bad the ride quality is compared to SE.

For me coming from a lowered M3 with larger 19" wheels is the s-line THAT bad? I just cant justify paying extra for worse ride quality?

for me the SE is to soft a ride

i got a 18 SE with full s-line trim from factory
but iv got springs ready to be fitted as the arch gap is stupid and to soft
the s-lines drive prety good

I've previously had an E46 M3 as my daily car for almost a year (on the standard 19's and also with standard suspension). I'd say the ride in an S-line is smoother, certainly on the 18's. I have replica 19's fitted to mine now and in my mind it's still a fairly smooth ride, certainly less bumpy than the M3, and considerably smoother than my wifes 120d on Run-Flats as well

I have a 3.0 tdi quattro SE. I had a test drive in an S-line and and SE. I found the s-line a bit too hard for everyday use for me and I found the SE smoother but a little on the soft side. Then I found a car with an SE suspension but with audi drive select. I can't recommend it enough if you can find it!! On comfort it's mega soft (good for motorway cruising), the auto option is good for everyday use and the dynamic option makes the suspension feel rock solid but great for A road driving. Having the audi drive select is a real happy medium for me

Reactions: Jamie-S
A choice we had to make, s-line or se, we took the se, the ride is firm with the se, s-line may have been a little to much, and i am getting old.

I have an S line with the optional S line suspension running on 18" wheels and I haven't notice it being hard in the slightest! Even on pot holed Highland Roads. I'm just upgrading to 19" wheels so will see how that goes.

its all about personal choice... and after coming from a rwd its worth thinking about wether you want a Quattro or front wheel drive too. i prefer the look of s lines and they generally they come with leather seats, bigger wheels nicer steering wheel etc not just the harder lower suspension. they just have that more sporty edge. I cannot comment on a b8 but... we had a b6 a4 Quattro SE the 4wd was lovely but the suspension felt like the car was going to fall over every time i drove round the roundabout which made me decide i never wanted another se in the audi range ! we then had a an c6 a6 sline and it felt really nice pretty perfect infact but maybe it was because its a bigger car? we now own a b7 a4 special edition sline which the suspension was too hard so we changed it! it too is front wheel drive and as our other car is a b6 s4 we both have come to the conclusion that audi got it spot on when they made a Quattro, as for the ride i think u need to drive them both to make the decision as every car is so so different !