• 1 Post By fsures
  • 1 Post By boost-addict
  • 1 Post By AjM

Thread: Major Oil Consumption on 09 A4 2.0T

AjM
    Living in Blissful Ignorance

Status

Major Oil Consumption on 09 A4 2.0T

5ltrs in 1300 miles, not burning it that I can tell, and no leaks anywhere I can see. Any thoughts?

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    It is known the 2.0T does use allot of oil but this seems far to much especially when the car is over 4 years old and fully run in and not brand new. How do you know its not burning the oil ? Somebody soon will come up with suggestions on what to do soon as i am not too sure myself.
    Her 2011 Limited Edition A4 Dynamik 2.0 Tfsi quattro 211 BHP Saloon & Mine 2013 Bmw 535D M Sport 313 Bhp 630nm.
    ***Audi's In The Park***The Biggest Audi Event In Europe 10th August 2014*** http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audis-park-aitp-2014/221933-audis-park-2014-show-10th-august-billing-aquadrome.html
    Reputation given for the best answer.

AjM

Status
    Only that I can't see any blue smoke...

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I have a client whose got a B8 2009/10 & he is using a fair bit aswell, its going into audi I believe at some point to have the piston rings replaced & maybe other bits to try & resolve, audi are doing goodwill, which is a sidestepping admission of known issues, so maybe an idea to wait to see what his results are before acting, I'll ask him to sign up here to report.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

AjM

Status
    That would be great, thanks. I have the car booked in 23rd Sept so hopefully know something before then.

5th Gear

Status
    Audi UK admitted to me that they knew there was a fault with the 2.0TFSI units in that they use ALOT of oil.
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit

Lead boot

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AjM View Post
    That would be great, thanks. I have the car booked in 23rd Sept so hopefully know something before then.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishS3 View Post
    Audi UK admitted to me that they knew there was a fault with the 2.0TFSI units in that they use ALOT of oil.
    Yep. When Audi looked at my car the technician said there had been a lot of cases where 2.0T's were using excessive amounts of oil.
    (59) 2.0T A4 S-Line Avant (B8) Lava Grey
    (N) 2.6 V6 Audi Convertible Europa Blue
    Gone: (02) 1.8T A4 sport saloon (B6) Denim Blue

Reverse Gear

Status
    Check out Audizine.com, b8. There is a sticky on this subject. The 2.0 FSTI has a known oil consumption issue. The information on the site could help in getting Audi to step up and do whats right. They replaced my pistons & rings and now the engine does not use any oil between services. Good Luck.
    ScottishS3 likes this.

Neutral

Status
    My new 2.0T arrives in November. Has this issue been fixed with the latest models?
    Current: 2013 S4 Avant, Ice Silver, SS heated seats, tech pack, AMI, B&O.
    Previous: 2011 Mercedes C350 CDI Saloon

5th Gear

Status
    It seems to effect all model years including the latest models, from what some people have said on here. You might be lucky though and not have a problem.
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit

AjM

Status
    I have spoken to Audi and it seems this is a problem with Valves and or Pistons as someone has put above, and is not a cheap fix. However, Audi said providing car has full Audi history and no modifications they will pay for the cost of all parts. I am lucky in that my warranty is paying for labour so should not cost me a penny. However the test is painful, you have to go to Audi, they remove the oil, weight it, and then put it back in and fit a crank case cooler and then you have to drive 620 miles, then return. This tells them which of 3 potential things needs fixing. 3!! Very poor if it has 3 different ways to loose 5 ltrs of oil in 1300 miles! Will update how I get on, but not going in for 2 weeks!

Reverse Gear

Status
    This is the standard procedure. One they find that you have excessive oil consumption if will take approximately one week for the engine to be rebuilt. On the good side, you will get the car back with a new motor. It's a pain but worth the effort. My motor uses less than a liter between factory oil changes.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AjM View Post
    I have spoken to Audi and it seems this is a problem with Valves and or Pistons as someone has put above, and is not a cheap fix. However, Audi said providing car has full Audi history and no modifications they will pay for the cost of all parts. I am lucky in that my warranty is paying for labour so should not cost me a penny. However the test is painful, you have to go to Audi, they remove the oil, weight it, and then put it back in and fit a crank case cooler and then you have to drive 620 miles, then return. This tells them which of 3 potential things needs fixing. 3!! Very poor if it has 3 different ways to loose 5 ltrs of oil in 1300 miles! Will update how I get on, but not going in for 2 weeks!
    Yeah that's right. It is a pain if you have to go through all the different tests like I had too.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks chaps. I hope mine doesn't suffer the same fate!
    Current: 2013 S4 Avant, Ice Silver, SS heated seats, tech pack, AMI, B&O.
    Previous: 2011 Mercedes C350 CDI Saloon

5th Gear

Status
    I have to admit, my car sounds ALOT better since the practically new engine it got. It now sounds like the performance car it really is!!!

Reverse Gear

Status
    I thought high consumption is due to direct injection engine and the pcv system used to lubricate the intake valves.
    Fit an oil catch can and see how much oil you lose.

Reverse Gear

Status
    there is prob nothing wrong with your car every a4 b8 owner had bad oil consump i put 1 liter in mine every month or so but if your putin oil in evety week then thats a problem , is your car tuned do u drive fast this eats the oil in ths car , nothig will stop this engine drinking oil

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by davyb0y View Post
    there is prob nothing wrong with your car every a4 b8 owner had bad oil consump i put 1 liter in mine every month or so but if your putin oil in evety week then thats a problem , is your car tuned do u drive fast this eats the oil in ths car , nothig will stop this engine drinking oil
    The issue has been addressed. And i feel you know little about cars with a comment that!

Weather you drive slow or fast (by that i dont mean screaming the engine) that consumption isnt healthy. Even 1 litre per month!
    If there was nothing wrong with the car why would audi fix it for free!
    kanecullen89 likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    no you will still have heavy oil consump no mater what audi do to your engine fact, am on my second engine an yes it drinks oil like the old one

AjM

Status
    DOH!

Apart from fixing the issue that Audi have identified that causes the engines to use oil! LOL!!!
    They are completely rebuilding my engine to fix the piston issue and have told me it would have cost £6500!!!!!
    kanecullen89 likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    i know a new short engine from audi would be less than that . and would have a 2 year guarantee , a quick way to tell if the pcv valve is at fault is when you take your oil cap off ,is if there is a suction holding the cap on when undone then the pcv valve is fubared
    Last edited by hollow; 29th September 2013 at 14:44.

5th Gear

Status
    no you will still have heavy oil consump no mater what audi do to your engine fact, am on my second engine an yes it drinks oil like the old one
    Mine doesn't use oil since Audi fixed it!

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have a 2009 2.0T with 79,000 miles and over the course of the last 12 months have noticed a significant increase with my oil consumption. Maybe a quart every 350 miles or fill up. I spoke with my dealer and he said that they were noticing a higher increase of 2.0T coming in with the same problem. Specifically years 2009, 2010 and 2011.
    Apparently customers were complaining that the 2.0T sounded like a diesel and Audi came up with a solution which was to make the piston heads smaller. Again, this is from my dealer.
    I took my car in and as mentioned on other posts, they want you to drive 620 miles or when the oil light comes on which ever occurs first. I anticipate they will need to replace all the piston heads and this will be on warranty. There is a question as to whether Audi will warranty this work forever so its recommended to get your car inspected.
    In as much as I was told that the work would be cost free, they did find oil in one of my coil/spark plugs. Not sure if this is related but it cost me over $700.00 and that was not anticipated.
    Still love the car particularly in winter as we get a lot of snow in Utah.

Neutral

Status
    Good luck on sorting it out! I feel like I'm taking a risk buying my 11 2.0tfsi :/

1st Gear

Status
    If its an Approved Used Audi supplied car you should be okay from what has been said in the past.

Interesting concept from "across the pond" though, ie just replacing the piston heads, either due to the "flexibility" of the English language, or someone is there to skim off the top of the pistons and glue new profiles on - I think not!

Still in USA they do lots of things now with glue, which reminds me, one of my daughters is flying back across the pond right now in a glued together aircraft - Dreamliner, so maybe it does work (hope so for her sake!).