2.0TFSI vs S4 conundrum

gr4z

Reaction score
Hi chaps

As some of you may of seen a few weeks ago, I placed my order for a new 2.0TFSI Quattro Sline Black Edition and latest delivery date is mid-November...about 16 weeks since order! Anyway, since then I have been keeping my eye on Autotrader and PH for some second hand S4s...just out of interest really. However, the more I look at the them and read the reviews the more I am tempted to cancel my order and get a 18 month old or so S4. My car from Drive The Deal was a shade over £31k. 18-24 month old S4s on PH or Autotrader seem to ask around £25k-28k.

Am I crazy to be thinking about this? Will I be disappointed with the 2.0TFSI? I am sure I won't be, just the S4 seems the complete car even though I won't be getting a new one. Mmmmmmmm.

Any have any comments?

Ta

As long as its the V6 S4 then I'd buy used tbh as a remap makes it effing fly & I mean fly, check youtube for the rs4 2013 vs s4 mapped, immense.

As long as its the V6 S4 then I'd buy used tbh as a remap makes it effing fly & I mean fly, check youtube for the rs4 2013 vs s4 mapped, immense.

Yes, it would be the V6. Not interested in the V8.

Are there any reasons why I would stick with a new 2.0TFSI? Are there any long term issues with the B8 S4?

Ta

I personally haven't heard of any issues with the S4's & appears to be a peach of an engine, but we don't get many S4 drivers on here, nonetheless we would hear about it if there were recalls etc IMHO :)

I guess new a4 has the appeal of being new & maybe resale value later but that never ever bothers me, don't buy a car like that to worry about what it sells for later tbh.

I guess new a4 has the appeal of being new & maybe resale value later but that never ever bothers me, don't buy a car like that to worry about what it sells for later tbh.

I would not be too bothered about residuals - but would like to get a decent price for it again it 2 or 3 years...

Hi,

I have an S4, and it is ACE!! but I paid for a lot of the extras, and from what I have read, that was a good thing. The advantage of buying the new car, is that you can spec it as you want it, which obviously you can't do so easily second hand. but if the extras are not so important, I would say that the S4 would be such a great choice. Good luck with your decision.

The 2.0TFSI is a nice car and you won't be disappointed! But you can get the S4 in Sprint Blue!!! My favourite Audi Colour!

You can't really compare the 2.0T Quattro with S4. I've driven both - the 2.0T Quattro is a great car, it's very quick and a lot of fun to drive - but the S4 is a sports car. I've just bought an S4 Avant and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Whilst a 2.0T Quattro is fun to drive the S4 (especially in S-Tronic) will quite literally have you wanting to go out in the middle of the night and drive it. It really IS that much fun. But at the same time you can waft around very comfortably in it. I've never owned such a complete car and I do not think that there are any comparisons - which car can you transport a family safely in, drive in all weathers including snow AND have an exhaust popping and chuck you to 60 mph in 5 seconds?! S4 all the way!

Reactions: mcnallys and scotty76
S4 no question. Best all round car i've owned, and I include 911's and M cars in that.

Looks abit too much that one to me to say it even hasn't got Super Sport Seats.

Nice but I'm after an Avant.

Still deciding what to do. Dealer has told me this afternoon I can't cancel my order without forfeiting my deposit. Damn. Might stick with the 2.0T after all now. It's still a great car :)

You'd be able to remap the TFSi to similar power as the S4 (yes I know you can remap the S4 aswell which will move it away again).

How are you financing the car? I was after a secondhand 06 plate RS4 earlier in the year but bought the brand new (£37k) A5 TFSi as the pcp payments on the A5 were far lower than taking a £22k loan out for an RS4.

Plus the running costs of the S4 will be far more than the TFSi. (Fuel, tax and insurance).

You'd be able to remap the TFSi to similar power as the S4 (yes I know you can remap the S4 aswell which will move it away again).

How are you financing the car? I was after a secondhand 06 plate RS4 earlier in the year but bought the brand new (£37k) A5 TFSi as the pcp payments on the A5 were far lower than taking a £22k loan out for an RS4.

Plus the running costs of the S4 will be far more than the TFSi. (Fuel, tax and insurance).

I know you can remap them but as other people say Audi know this - I am still worried about warranty when doing this. I am paying for the car 50% outright and 50% on Audi finance. But will pay off next year. An RS would be too much...it needs to remain practical.

I did some insurance quotes on the S4 compared to the TFSI and they are almost identical! MPG i guess in the S4 would be around 22-25. TFSI around 30. So not much in it. Granted road tax would be higher by a £150ish.

Audi have told me I am unable to cancel or change my order now which seems weird. They have quoted build week is 44, 4 weeks away. Delivery 18 November-ish. I still think they could change it, don't you?

I had a 2.0 Avant Quattro 177 Black Edition 2013 Facelift Full oh Extras Great car but i Traded it in 2mths ago for a 2012 S4 and its best Decision ave done in a Long time, No change in Insurance and am getting around 28Mpg , The Diesel was only getting 36Mpg at best.......As others have said its a Car u want to go and drive just to the Sake of it.....Petrol's also a lot cheap than diesel if ur only doing 3-4000 a year like my self......

Well I sent another email to the Audi dealer asking what can be done :) I am not hopeful but you never know.

I think they're just fobbing you off to keep the order (and the sales incentive).

I'd deffo go for the S4. Engine is bombproof and there are loads of horror stories about the tfsi oil consumption and the expensive repairs (in time and money) that come with that

I am not trying to cancel my order now, just upgrade it to an S4 :) he will still get his sales incentive! Just emailed Audi UK as well. As I said I am sure the TFSI will be great, just keep thinking will I be wanting to get an S4 all the time I am driving it!?

I am not trying to cancel my order now, just upgrade it to an S4 :) he will still get his sales incentive! Just emailed Audi UK as well. As I said I am sure the TFSI will be great, just keep thinking will I be wanting to get an S4 all the time I am driving it!?

Ah good stuff. Like everyone else has said, I'm sure you'll like either, but you'd like the S4 more ;)
If you're spending that kind of money you want no regrets really

I bought my Tdi 177 Black Edition and after a Few Month wished id Just bought the S4 , After Many Non Audi Turbos my Eyes have Been opened to the Supercharger.. Love my S4.

Have a Look on Audizine.................. Big following of S4 Drivers.

The dealer can't change my order as it's now locked...seems crazy 4 weeks out :( 2.0TFSI it is then...

The dealer can't change my order as it's now locked...seems crazy 4 weeks out :( 2.0TFSI it is then...
You won't be disappointed with the 2.0 TFSi. It's a great car and even standard its got plenty of poke!

Reactions: Rab.

You don't have to accept it. Admittedly you'd likely lose your deposit.

You don't have to accept it. Admittedly you'd likely lose your deposit.

To be honest I would say it's worth losing your deposit to change to an S4 Avant. Mainly because you'll end up getting the S4 eventually and losing thousands on chopping in your 2.0T Quattro.

There is a very big difference between the S4's character / engine and the 2.0T Quattro, having driven both. The S4 is a performance car - even though at low speeds / revs it is remarkably refined you can still FEEL that it is a performance car. The 2.0T isn't - it's just a fast great car. Sure the S4 might be a little more expensive to run but you'll never want for more from a car.

I've owned and driven a load of fast cars over the years and the S4 Avant is hands down the best i've ever owned. If i don't drive it for a day I miss it!

I've also made the mistake of settling for cars instead of getting what I really wanted and losing a lot of money in the process.

Reactions: NHN
Hi How about this?
~I don't know how much deposit you have paid, but this is a possibility. Go to the dealer and say that you want to buy an S4 from them instead. When they tell you that you will lose your deposit, ask them to reduce the price of the S4, by the price of the deposit you will lose; when they say no, you could see whether they will meet you half way. If they still say no, you could suggest that you will still cancel the order, and go to another dealer to buy the S4. At this point they may say "go on then" or they may see that you will actually be spending more with them in the longer term, and agree to do a deal. Of course it may not work, but what do you have to lose?

All good suggestions chaps but then I would have to wait another 12-16 weeks for delivery. I am already on 10 weeks waiting for the 2.0T. My current lease car goes back today so until the 2.0T arrives I am in a hire car!

I am going to try ringing Audi Customer Services to see if they can do anything...

Well I have found a 8 month old S4 at my local dealer - they are looking into what they can do...

They are asking the same price for an 8 month old S4 as DriveTheDeal charge for a new S4!! Mmm I need to drive a hard bargain :)

Booo, Audi CS refused. They say they cannot change it which is madness. Oh well.

I think it's so unacceptable that when you're spending that kind of money with them you can change the order. I bought my car direct from audi but this stubbornness I read about would put me off buying from them again

I don't see what the issue is here? If you don't want it cancel it. I assume when you paid the deposit it was non-refundable.

Surely you only proceed if you definitely want it? If you've since changed your mind then I don't see why the dealer shouldn't keep the deposit. I don;t get why you think you can change the order and keep to the same time scale. There's different components which Audi being in Just In Time. I also don't see why you should be able to queue jump.

Sorry this may not be what you want to hear but it's just my opinion looking in from the outside.

I don't see what the issue is here? If you don't want it cancel it. I assume when you paid the deposit it was non-refundable.

Surely you only proceed if you definitely want it? If you've since changed your mind then I don't see why the dealer shouldn't keep the deposit. I don;t get why you think you can change the order and keep to the same time scale. There's different components which Audi being in Just In Time. I also don't see why you should be able to queue jump.

Sorry this may not be what you want to hear but it's just my opinion looking in from the outside.

I am not trying to jump any queue I would fully expect to have to delay my delivery if any changes are made to the order or lose my deposit if I were to cancel the order.

What I can't really understand is Audi's inability to change an order 6 weeks before I am due to take delivery. Totally agree that they need to organise parts for the production line in time but considering we are weeks out you would assume this could be possible. Other manufacturers can.

OK I am still looking at S4s and have seen this at a local dealer...Used AUDI S4 Avant 3.0 T FSI V6 quattro Black Edition for sale - PistonHeads (Ref 1770116)

Looks a good-ish deal although a little more than I wanted to spend. Anyone have thoughts on this buy?

The description says it has a DVD satnav but the internal picture looks like the joystick has the middle dimple meaning its a HDD satnav - can anyone clarify?

Thanks guys, I really value your opinion - finding this decision very difficult :)

S4, if you fancy one it'll always be on your mind. I went with head over heart on the 2.0t (B7) but keep thinking an S4 V8 growl would've been nice.

It's daft I know and really shouldn't matter, but when asked what my car is I feel obliged to tell people how modded it is, if it was an S4 I would just simply say S4 knowing they would appreciate it easier...you could spend a lot of money on something to make it better, but it's still not quite the same...

Next car for me will be an S4 B8 I reckon, or the A6 with the same engine depending on wife retuning to work or not...

OK I am still looking at S4s and have seen this at a local dealer...Used AUDI S4 Avant 3.0 T FSI V6 quattro Black Edition for sale - PistonHeads (Ref 1770116)

Looks a good-ish deal although a little more than I wanted to spend. Anyone have thoughts on this buy?

The description says it has a DVD satnav but the internal picture looks like the joystick has the middle dimple meaning its a HDD satnav - can anyone clarify?

Thanks guys, I really value your opinion - finding this decision very difficult :)

It's very nice!!
That is a HDD satnav 3G. What it means by DVD is that it has a single dvd drive in the dash which can play DVDs etc.
The sat nav maps are still stored on a HDD.

The older 2G Nav had a DVD drive in the boot (could not play dvd movies) for the maps and a 6 cd changer in the dash

Buy the s4 if you want it. I just lost thousands selling my old car and buying my audi as i bought wrong first time.