Getting an accurate oil reading

Reaction score
Following on from http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b8-chassis/196048-stoopid-oil-levels.html, I was advised by Audi today that if you want to get an accurate oil reading from the computer you need to park the car on the flat. Turn on the ignition, but not the engine and wait around 5 minutes. The oil level bar should appear with the correct reading.

If you think the computer is not reading properly, open and close the bonnet first. It resets the computer.

Does anybody know where you can buy a dipstick for the b8 from ?

from audi or TPS

not off hand last 1 i got was a year ago

but i need one for the B8 iv just got so will be calling audi this week

not off hand last 1 i got was a year ago

but i need one for the B8 iv just got so will be calling audi this week

Okay, let us know how much it is please, i fancy one of these myself.
Any pics of the B8 ?

this is what they say about the above dipstick on ebay

number VTO-T40-178 that is a generic oil dipstick, adjustable for various engine types. Apparently the top of the stick has a range of 0-200, for 2.0 TFSI this should reportedly be set to 39. The lower end of the dipstick has another range of 0-30. For 2.0 TFSI reportedly, on the lower end scale, position 0 is the low and position 24 is the high limit of the acceptable oil range for the engine. This tool is not designed to be left in place (instead use the oil dipstick tube cap that is in the car when not measuring oil), the tool should be dipped into the tube only when necessary and stored somewhere else at other times

im guessing you have a 2.0 fsit ?

8?/2.0? TFSI: 06J 115 611 E * (Both do have the same dipstick tube, 06H 115 610 B)

Isnt that just for a 3.2 ?

As bez101 says, it is a generic dipstick, on which there are various levels indicated and you set the 'depth stop' to suit your particular engine.

I have a b8 s4 Avant with manual gearbox.

Any other info required, please ask.

After reading some comments on different forums about this, I thought it would be good to have the dipstick for my 2.0TDI B8. So I contacted Audi and quoted the following part number - 03L 115 611E and I was waiting for the price.....

£8 including VAT.

Happy days, so got one ordered of course at that price! :thumbsup:

Audi wanted £90 for a dipstick, but they are also saying my oil level switch is broken which is £225 to replace!

was the KY jelly included in that price ?

After reading some comments on different forums about this, I thought it would be good to have the dipstick for my 2.0TDI B8. So I contacted Audi and quoted the following part number - 03L 115 611E and I was waiting for the price.....

£8 including

Happy days, so got one ordered of course at that price! :thumbsup:

£6.57 inc vat sheffield audi
dont forget to save the cap

Reactions: Crazyfool
£6.57 inc vat sheffield audi
dont forget to save the cap

Yea its not too bad a price now and so handy to have rather than depending on the MMI. Are you going to leave yours in all the time or just use it when your checking mate?

yeah will be left in

last year the orange top used to catch on the bonnet sound metrial
the 1 i got in feb was smaller so could be left in

Thanks Bez, I had read some people removed it after checking but would be a lot handier just to leave in obviously. I will see if its catching and will go from there.

Cheers

even if it catches all it does is put an indent in the sound proofing

i think leaveing it in the boot etc is gona bent it etc

even if it catches all it does is put an indent in the sound proofing

i think leaveing it in the boot etc is gona bent it etc

Yea I do agree, which is why I wasn't overly that fussed on having to remove it all the time. I think I will be leaving it in for sure. As many B8 owners am shocked this actually wasn't standard. But leave that for another day!lol

discovered the lack of dipstick the other when my uncle was admiring my new black edition... we were doing the manly lets look at the engine and look like we know what we're looking at !!!

The battery location/size also threw us a little bit too !

Just had one of these adjustable dipsticks arrive. Where can i get the correct depth stop list for my engine? Its a 2.0 TFSI B8 2009

So collected the Oil Dipstick this evening - 03L 115 611E for my Audi A4 B8 2.0TDI 2010 and when I inserted in firstly it was a bit stiff to put in. Then it seemed the bottom was hitting before the top could even fully close. Is this right? .. All the websites I looked stated that part number was correct for my engine.

Anyone have the same issue? ..

Thanks

thats correct part number
have they given you the correct 1 ?

Yep its the excat dipstick part number matches ok. Only thing I noticed at the end was V120 if that means anything? .. Really strange, I didn't want to push it any further. It also seems that my engine cover, covers it completly which is strange. So to dip the car you need to remove the engine cover is that correct?

Cheers for your help.

I found this on a Q5 forum, wonder is this my reason:

Earlier models of the 2.0 TDi engine had a longer dipstick tube to bring the dipstick within easy reach. The dipstick is designed to work with this tube.

Later engines have no hole in the plastic engine cover for the dipstick to poke through.... and consequently have a shorter dipstick tube. Hence the dipstick is approx 75mm too long when used with the shorter tube fitted on the later (Q5) engines. It looks like Audi haven't produced a dipstick for use with the shorter tube :( http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/topic/1536-adding-a-manual-oil-dipstick/

So after research on the net I found that in later 2.0TDI engines they have no hole in the plastic engine cover for the dipstick to poke through and consequently have a shorter dipstick tube. So I was looking at purchasing this device and I was wondering if anyone has used it if maybe you could share your opinion?

Laser Tools | 4807 | Oil Gauge/dipstick Audi

Thanks,

I found the same issue with the dipstick (part number 03L 115 611E) that as the tube is now fully under the cover, the dipstick is to long. What I did, was had a mate cross reference the level, then trim the bottom of the dipstick, cutting the plastic measuring part of, so you are left with the upper and lower grey plastic on the dipstick.

Its not perfect but it works, and using the upper and lower plastic parts on the dipstick as minimum and maximum I can get an approx reading, (which also matches with his universal adjuster dipstick and the MMI reading).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 938
Glad to hear am not the only one to have had this issue!lol .. Awh thats super thanks for that mate, I will give it a go later, I just want a manual way of checking the oil, who thought it would be this hard! :)

So after research on the net I found that in later 2.0TDI engines they have no hole in the plastic engine cover for the dipstick to poke through and consequently have a shorter dipstick tube. So I was looking at purchasing this device and I was wondering if anyone has used it if maybe you could share your opinion?

Laser Tools | 4807 | Oil Gauge/dipstick Audi

Thanks,

I posted info on this some three weeks ago!

Originally Posted by Audi Dynamik
View Post
Does anybody know where you can buy a dipstick for the b8 from ?
This is what I bought. You set the 'depth stop' for your particular engine which is marked on the stick.
laser 4807 Oil Gauge/dipstick Audi | eBay

Does anyone know if I can use a dipstick on my 3.0 tdi? I've had a look under the bonnet but cannot find anywhere on the block where the dipstick would go

Evening guys

during the week I checked my oil level on the mmi and it said it was too high . So I bought a a dip stick and found it does not fit being too long . After a bit of research it seem the tube on my car is 75 mm shorter then the tubes that fit threw the engine cover

So instead of trimming down the end of it I have pulled the orange section of and cutting 75mm off that end ( measured this before removing it) .

Now the other thing is I drained off just under 1 litre of oil today but the mmi now says "no information currently available " and some more research says you have to wait 24 hours after the bonnet has be open ? Is this true ? It seems utter madness . I have driven the car and there are no oil lights but with 75mm trimmed off the stick it's very low !

So is 75mm correct ? And is there a way that I don't have to wait 24 hours ?