Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

Xenon light problem after accident

Anyone ever had a problem with their xenons?? My car was in a smash a few weeks ago and went to Audi for repair. Damage was as belowImageUploadedByTapatalk1378403305.939616.jpg
    Someone reversed into my car as I was driving. Anyway. Got the car back a 2 weeks later and apart from a rattle all seemed fine. Until last night I drove in the dark. Lights came on but warning on dash said left side side/head/main beam off. I switched lights off then back on but the light came on. Got home and it was off??

Please help

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Not quite sure how a side impact like that would effect your xenons. But none the less.

It generally is one of 2 things the bulb is on its way out or the ballast. Both very common and many threads about it,

The best way to verify is either check for faults on the computer system via your On Board Diagnostics.

Or resort to the good old method which is you usually switching bulbs around "left and right" and see if the error or fault persists on the right hand side headlight, if it does then the bulb is your issue if it doesnt 95% chance the ballast is on its way out.

Hope this helps

Reverse Gear

Status
    I had a similar problem except no accident repair. Earlier this year I had two occurrences where the dashboard warning told me the nearside headlight bulb had failed. The bulb was out. Switched the ignition off and back on again, and back to normal no warning light and bulb working again! As I say it happened twice, within a couple of weeks, and then didn't happen again. I waited until the car was due for service a few weeks ago and reported it then. The garage said they had carried out a software update and it had cleared the fault. The report says "Investigate headlight warning coming on dash intermittently. No bulb found to be out. Carried out software update 97Y3 and this has cleared the fault". My car is an April 2012 facelift model and they are xenons.

1st Gear

Status
    Well. Audi done diagnostic which showed bulb out, but when I turn lights on it works for a bit then gos off after about 20 secs. Then main beam and full beam don't work.

Any ideas cos I'm baffled!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Given bixenons uses just 1 bulb, yes it can just be the bulb that's gone faulty, need to swap out or swap across to test.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

2nd Gear

Status
    New bulb needed I reckon.

bring the Vaseline with you, I just replaced 2 in my car as wanted them to be the same colour/brightness £131+Vat each from
    VW Trade Parts ;(

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by claudefrog View Post
    New bulb needed I reckon.

bring the Vaseline with you, I just replaced 2 in my car as wanted them to be the same colour/brightness £131+Vat each from
    VW Trade Parts ;(
    definately had your pants down on that one .

why not just buy cheaper after market bulbs ? headlights take less than 5 mins to remove and refit . bulbs are less than £30 a pair non genuine obviously but if they last 12 months there worth the price .

would take you 5 years plus to recoup your money on the originals .
    oem are ds3 4300k bulbs .

i replaced mine only a few months ago as i noticed one bulb was duller than the other ,then one started to go off after a few seconds .

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hollow View Post
    definately had your pants down on that one .

why not just buy cheaper after market bulbs ? headlights take less than 5 mins to remove and refit . bulbs are less than £30 a pair non genuine obviously but if they last 12 months there worth the price .

would take you 5 years plus to recoup your money on the originals .
    oem are ds3 4300k bulbs .

i replaced mine only a few months ago as i noticed one bulb was duller than the other ,then one started to go off after a few seconds .
    I thought of using the aftermarket ones, but from past experience they dont give the same break that the genuine bulbs give and can fail MOT.

So thought if i replace both now I wont have to even think about it for a few years

1st Gear

Status
    They sorted it and because I'm such a nice customer it cost me £0! I googled the part number and it would cost £54. Exact same part.

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/philips...-9285-301-244/

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by claudefrog View Post
    I thought of using the aftermarket ones, but from past experience they dont give the same break that the genuine bulbs give and can fail MOT.

So thought if i replace both now I wont have to even think about it for a few years
    need to have a brother who's an mot tester