Audi Concert replacement problem

Reaction score
Friend of mine has a 2008 A4 with the Concert radio. Recently he had problems with it not reading CD's and the SD card simply does not work (tried every format of cards and music!). So, he buys a second hand unit from ebay (guy was breaking an A4), plugs it in but he needs the code, which the previous owner does not have. He enquired at Audi who want a proper invoice to prove the radio has not been ripped out of a car (will not accept ebay invoice) before applying for the code (they say it has to come from Germany and if they apply for the code and it is from a stolen vehicle, the police will automatically be informed)

Now I think the police bit is boll***s for a start. Secondly, I have read conflicting information as to whether the code can be obtained via VCDS or not.

With the radio connected to the vehicle, is there a way to pair it/obtain the code with VCDS? He doesn't mind paying Audi for the code but they are just being a bit OTT I think and the ebay seller has said he will send an invoice but it has not been received yet. Rather than wait for this, I have access to VCDS so was hoping it can be done this way

Thanks for any help

Homer

If its from a broken car then I see no issue in him using audi, unless its not as it seems.

VCDS doesn't pull pin codes.

Reactions: Homer Simpson
The reason the seller does not have a code is that the B8 concert radio does not need a code to function, what it needs is component protection removal. So if this has been posted in the right section and I think it has been because you mention SD card which the B8 concert also has.

The radio will not function at all when installed, it must be unlocked by Audi or someone who has online GEKO database access through VAS. VCDS will not help at all in this situation.

What you should also do is get the coding and adaptations from the old radio using VCDS before putting in the new one, or ask Audi to do an SVM of the car so the new radio gets coded correctly.

Reactions: Homer Simpson
Thanks for the replies :) I was sure it wasn't a simple pin code as a lot of manufacturers did away with these years ago but am not too familiar with how audi coded the radio to the car. I am sure the radio is legitimate, will chase the seller for an invoice to prove ownership to Audi. Just wanted to know what options were available, looks like only one.

Just an update, Audi have asked for the radio to be fitted prior to them pairing to the vehicle. Radio was fitted and powers up but no sound. Is this due to the protection? Or faulty radio?

Finally got it sorted today, radio was coded to the vehicle by Audi and all works correctly. They asked (again) if the radio was legit as a stolen unit would automatically alert the police (not sure how that works) but anyway all good.

As in my previous post, it powered up but had no sound prior to being paired to the vehicle

hope this helps anyone who may have the same problem in the future