B8 S4 or B7 RS4

Tay

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Firstly, I was unsure which section to start this thread in as it should kind of be a cross between the two...

I'm looking to upgrade from my 8P S3 soon for a bigger car, probably an estate and the two options that suit my circa £24k budget are a B8 S4 or a B7 RS4.

What's are people's opinions on the options (and any others). Bearing in mind the potential running costs, repair bills etc, I don't want to buy something that could potentially be extremely costly if a couple of niggles arise due to age of a car.

The V8 soundtrack is better, but having never heard a 3.0tfsi from outside I wouldn't really be able to judge the engine noise the S4 makes, although some of the YouTube videos with Apr/milltek exhausts fitted do sound nice.

So yeah, opinions?

They are both gorgeous cars but you cannot beet the sound of RS4 V8, The RS4 has things like buckets which are also extremely nice, but the S4 i would say is more modern with Led Daytime running lights and they are considerably cheaper to run.
An S4 would also be newer.
If i were you i would get a S4 and get Revo remap and a miltek if you want one.
Have a look at this video for a Revo S4 : Audi S4 v Audi RS4. Does Supercharging Rule? - /CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube
Although this RS4 is OUTSTANDING: Audi RS4 RS4 QUATTRO 5DR EXCLUSIVE COLOUR BUCKETS NAV BOSE 4.2 2006

Reactions: Revo Steve-W
Wow that RS4 is pretty special!

I know I've seen the Chris Harris S4 v RS4 video before and was pretty surprised. In a way I'm trying to weigh up the affordability/running costs of both, and as much as I'd love an RS4, the S4 is a more sensible option whilst still being able to run the same power with only a few small modifications.

Damn that Yellow RS 4 is beaut!! Id have an RS4 B7 over an S4 if the option was open to me

Take into consideration depreciation too, I would think a B8 S4 is likely to lose more money over 2-3 years than a B7 RS4

Don't get me wrong, money no object RS4 without a doubt! But the sensible part of my brain is trying to weigh up depreciation, running costs, potential repair bills and overall ownership experience.

Running costs/repair bills are going to be more for the older RS4 for sure, but depreciation may offset that. Try to work out anticipated costs over a period of time you think you'd own the car. I guess for your budget a S4 is likely to be just out of warranty, so maybe you could factor in the costs of a warranty to cover any major problems?

B8 S4 all day every day. There are considerably more performance options available that will take its power well beyond an RS4 I've daily driven both, and while the b7 rs4 is a beauty that sounds heavenly, it's also a petrol-guzzling, underpowered pig. I'd only own one if it had a supercharger on it :)

Also have this diliema at the moment, what did you go for Tay?

I haven't gone for any of the two YET, but at the moment I'm leaning towards the S4 as the running costs are lower, and insurance isn't ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I'd love an RS4 but it would end up becoming a money well very quickly.

I've also considered a 335i Touring that a few people are suggesting but I am well and truly indecisive on this one.

I haven't gone for any of the two YET, but at the moment I'm leaning towards the S4 as the running costs are lower, and insurance isn't ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I'd love an RS4 but it would end up becoming a money well very quickly.

I've also considered a 335i Touring that a few people are suggesting but I am well and truly indecisive on this one.

I was also thinking S4 instead of RS4, as looked at insurance and like you say running costs and it is ridiculous, might have to be S4 with a remap :D.

335i is a good shout, but think I'd still get more enjoyment from either S4 or RS4.

I would go with the S4; the road tax is less, insurance is cheaper, servicing costs are smaller, it is more fuel efficient, and with an MTM cantronic derestrictor on it, it is faster than the RS4. Plus, it is the newer shape, with more modern interior. The only thing good about the RS4 is the engine noise.

The RS4 engine not is pretty special.. but the S4 is a completely different car.. it is softer and easier to drive as a daily

Thread revival, house move is complete so stepping up the car search.
I've been struggling to find an S4 with the spec I want (Audi Drive Select and hopefully Sport Diff), and my budget won't stretch to a facelift version.
But I have found a lovely Daytona Grey RS4 Avant which is tempting :/

Think I'm going to arrange a test drive of an S4 ASAP and then the RS, still don't know which option to go for as I'm not massively keen on the pre facelift S4 looks, help?