• 1 Post By NHN
  • 1 Post By A3BE
  • 1 Post By Soot1e
  • 1 Post By Daggerit

Thread: A4 Allroad rear underbody cut

Neutral

Status

A4 Allroad rear underbody cut

Hi there - I just got a really nice A4 Allroad but very stupidly didn't inspect the underneath of the car. However when I pulled into a garage yesterday an Audi salesman who was filling his car up came over to me and asked why I had the underneath metal protection cut. I then bent down and could see that the previous owner has cut into the metal underbody protection to enable a towbar to be fitted.

Do any of you know if this is standard or not very good? Or can it be repaired? I don't think it looks like something Audi would have done at the factory?

Best,

Justinphoto copy.jpg

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    My 2012 Allroad with factory fit removeable tow bar has this hole cut out too. Not the most elegant of solutions I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by jbee3 View Post
    Hi there - I just got a really nice A4 Allroad but very stupidly didn't inspect the underneath of the car. However when I pulled into a garage yesterday an Audi salesman who was filling his car up came over to me and asked why I had the underneath metal protection cut. I then bent down and could see that the previous owner has cut into the metal underbody protection to enable a towbar to be fitted.

Do any of you know if this is standard or not very good? Or can it be repaired? I don't think it looks like something Audi would have done at the factory?

Best,

Justinphoto copy.jpg

Neutral

Status
    so it is a genuine factory fit option?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jbee3 View Post
    so it is a genuine factory fit option?
    Yup, mine came like that from the factory new. Not sure whether cars without the factory fit tow bar have the hole or not though.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Definitely looks factory cut to me, its pretty poor tbh as other chassis have a clip in plate for the holes when not in use, is it so far under its not noticeable from the rear?

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi,

the normal Avant has this too.
    I questioned the dealer and stated that it looked a bit shabby and unfinshed and he just agreed!

NHN likes this.
    Audi A4 Avant Black Edition 143

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Good thing is, its underneath on a flat piece so hardly noticeable, I see the logic in this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Good thing is, its underneath on a flat piece so hardly noticeable, I see the logic in this.
    It's actually pretty noticable. I see it every time I pull out of my flat drive in my wife's car and think "That looks sh!te!"

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Then get it fixed, plastic repair, fill, sand, primer, paint, job done

Reverse Gear

Status
    Then get it fixed, plastic repair, fill, sand, primer, paint, job done
    Why should I have to get my hands dirty on a £35k + car?
    Besides, it's a lease. It goes back in two years and I can get something decent.

1st Gear

Status
    At least by having the gap,you never see an A4 on the motorway with the rear valance "wobbling" like you do on many other makes of vehicle. Mondeos were especially prone to this.
    GOING - A4 Avant 2.0TDI 143 Black Edition, Daytona, Alcantara, Heated Seats, Tech Pack, Advance Parking, Light Pack + full LED upgrade, Power Tailgate, S Line Sports Suspension

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by eob_BE View Post
    Why should I have to get my hands dirty on a £35k + car?
    Besides, it's a lease. It goes back in two years and I can get something decent.
    Ah so its no that SH1TE then lmao.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ah so its no that SH1TE then lmao.
    I chose the Audi based on the Brand appeal as well as looks and IMHO the brand has not lived up to the hype.
    Creaks, rattles, unfinished body parts, missing standard spec (glove box light anyone?) woeful MPG, underpowered, rubbish Audi Music Interface, stupid offset pedals and customer service that is just a joke.
    I'm lucky that I'm in the position I'm in and can walk away.
    Sorry if I've offended anyone but that's just how I feel having came from a couple of VWs and having passed the opportunity to go back to BMW.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Haven't you addressed any of these issues with your dealer, one would assume so by your comment of woeful CS?

What's wrong with the AMI, glovebox light missed of or not spec'd with?

You knew the mpg when you got the car surely, you also knew the power rating, so that maybe little unfair comment to make.

Unfinished body parts, expand please.

I'm not defending as a badge snob as I'm far from, just trying to understand your complaints properly.

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi,

the normal Avant has this too.
    I questioned the dealer and stated that it looked a bit shabby and unfinshed and he just agreed!

says the bloke with moss growing out the joints on his block paving

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    LMAO that's funny.
    Audi Dynamik likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafi View Post
    says the bloke with moss growing out the joints on his block paving
    LMAO that's funny.
    Err, yeah, hilarious. I'll get right on that once I get bored with life.

With regards to the other post, yes, asked the dealer about the few niggles, they weren't really interested.
    Don't want to hijack jbee3's thread but there have been a few things that have knocked my impression of the brand.
    Still love the car to look at and drive tho'.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Damn we are a bit touchy aren't we, lighten up will you nobodies stolen your sweets here, we're just having a joke, see it as that & nothing else.
    johnnythepie likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Oh I see! Oh, thats funny then. Nice one.
    Yeah, at the end of the winter I get a bit of moss build up in between the mono blocks.
    Usually sorted in Spring when I can get the Karacher out. Havn't been able to this year with work and all.
    Still, anyway, back on topic, the big hole in the rear bumper just in case you might want to fit a towbar. Does anyone sell an aftermarket solution?

Neutral

Status
    I have to confess that my 2013 black edition Avant which I ordered with a factory removeable tow bar has the rear bumper "cut out" as shown on this thread. I researched my options for a tow bar before placing my new car order as I did not want to run the risk of an unsightly bumper cut out for an after market fitment so chose the factory fit option. What a disappointment when I took delivery of my A4 Avant to discover a cut out with no cover! I expressed to the dealer how cheap and rather shoddy the finished article is and he too just shrugged his shoulders.

I was expecting a removeable cover as I had on my Q7 to protect the tow bar from winter crud and spray and can think of no other reason than a cost cutting one for not including one on the A4.
    eob_BE likes this.
    2013 - Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDi 177 Black Edition - Ibis White

Factory Options
    - Alcantara/Leather S-line Trim - F&R Park Assist - Storage Pack - LED Interior Light Pack - Factory Tow Pack

Mods - Full LED Interior Lights - Hoen Xenonmatch Fog Light Bulbs

Previously - '09' A3 1.8 TFSi Sportback Black Edition, '08' Q7 3.0 TDi S-Line Fully Loaded, '57' Honda Civic 1.8 Sport, '06' BMW X5 3.0 Sport, '06' Seat Leon 2.0 TDi FR, '05' BMW 323i M Sport Convertible .........and too many more to mention!!

2nd Gear

Status
    Still, anyway, back on topic, the big hole in the rear bumper just in case you might want to fit a towbar?
    Only cars that have - or once had - a detachable towbar will have that big hole. If the car was not ordered with a towbar there will be no hole in the bumper when it is delivered new.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Two similar new B8.5s Avants in Glasgow Audi forecourt and another in the showroom that I looked at with the service guy had same holes.
    Out of interest, are there any B8.5 (or B8) avant owners on the forum that don't have the bumper hole?

Neutral

Status
    I've a 2008 B8 S-line Avant and it didn't have the hole... it does now though as I've retro fitted the Audi towbar!

The rear valences dont come with the hole as standard, but the outline is marked on the inside so you can cut the hole if needed. My guess is that the cars on the forecourt with holes have had towbars.
    Phantom Black B8 3.0 TDI Quattro S-Line Avant going forward..... and 3.0 24v Manta going sideways

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 5102 IA View Post
    I've a 2008 B8 S-line Avant and it didn't have the hole... it does now though as I've retro fitted the Audi towbar!

The rear valences dont come with the hole as standard, but the outline is marked on the inside so you can cut the hole if needed. My guess is that the cars on the forecourt with holes have had towbars.
    But these were all new cars. Mine included.
    Maybe someone at Glasgow Audi is just going nuts with a stanley knife, although mine was delivered from Dundee Audi. Maybe it's spreading.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 5102 IA View Post

The rear valences dont come with the hole as standard
    Yes they do if they are facelift models.
    eob_BE likes this.
    GOING - A4 Avant 2.0TDI 143 Black Edition, Daytona, Alcantara, Heated Seats, Tech Pack, Advance Parking, Light Pack + full LED upgrade, Power Tailgate, S Line Sports Suspension

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafi View Post
    Only cars that have - or once had - a detachable towbar will have that big hole. If the car was not ordered with a towbar there will be no hole in the bumper when it is delivered new.
    Not true I'm afraid, mine was brand new and definitely not spec'd with a towbar and came with the big cut out as well. I think it looks terrible...
    eob_BE likes this.
    Daytona Grey A4 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Tronic Black Edition

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Soot1e View Post
    Yes they do if they are facelift models.

Ah, mines a 2010 and I had to cut out the slot, as I did on a mate's.

I have not had the pleasure of crawling about under a facelifted B8, I have not spotted the fact that all facelifts have the hole...........

VAG Addict

Status
    I don't think all facelifts have the hole... Isn't it just a simple matter of getting a new valance fitted sans hole?

As for the comment about no light in glovebox. Yes it's bloody annoying but it's because you didn't add the interior light package which gives you illuminated glovebox, front and rear footwells, vanity mirrors, air vents and door handles... only £150 and worth every penny if you want to find your way around the car at night! We don't have it either but didn't spec the car new

Having said that base level spec is way better than BMW without a doubt - I'm on my second Audi and second BMW so speak from experience!
    2009 A4 2.0 TDI (170) Avant S Line Exec. ​Quartz Grey, S Line suspension, Bluetooth phone prep low, AMI, DAB, Symphony III, Leather/Alcantara, rear sun blinds, heated/dimming/folding mirrors and cruise control. Mods so far: BBS LM (reps), needle sweep and dipping mirror on reverse. To come: spacers, rear window tint and badge delete.