JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gary3306

Thread: Rear Disks and Pads

Ash

Status

Question Rear Disks and Pads

I will need new rear disks and pads soon and a mechanic that does all my fathers work will do them for a damn site cheaper than Audi (with trade parts as well) so am getting the front pads done at the same time.

I have heard a rumor that you need VCDS to retract the caliper piston, is this true and if so is there a way around this?

B8 A4 Avant 2.0 TDi 143 | S-Line Executive | Lava Grey | Privacy Glass - Auto Dim/Fold Mirrors

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AshA4 View Post
    I will need new rear disks and pads soon and a mechanic that does all my fathers work will do them for a damn site cheaper than Audi (with trade parts as well) so am getting the front pads done at the same time.

I have heard a rumor that you need VCDS to retract the caliper piston, is this true and if so is there a way around this?
    Sadly yes, you need to electrically wind then back. Audi make more money then.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Oh come on now, that's a ridiculous statement to make, its got nothing to do with VAG making more money, the systems weren't designed for vag to coin it, they were designed with number of things in mind, ergonomics, cabin space & allow better designed console/interior.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Ash

Status
    So do I have to get the done at Audi?
    Or will an Indi have the tools?

B8 A4 Avant 2.0 TDi 143 | S-Line Executive | Lava Grey | Privacy Glass - Auto Dim/Fold Mirrors

1st Gear

Status
    If your confident you can use use a 12v car battery to retract the pistons. (If you have not got access to Vagcom or an Electric brake service tool).

A good indie can do this, or...

The electromechanical parking brake is a 12-volt motor that engages and retracts the rear brakes. To retract the rear wheel parking brake, you will need access to a 12-volt battery and two jumper wires. One of the jumper wires should have an insulated clip on the end so you do not short-circuit the wires. When you are looking at the caliper you will see the brake line and electric wire/connector going to the rear caliper. Disconnect the electric connector from the caliper. Inside the connector on the caliper side you will see two medal pins sticking up. Connect the two jumper wires to the 12 volt battery. Take the negative wire jumper and connect it to one of the pins on the caliper. Then take the positive wire and touch the other pin without touching the other jumper wire and causing a short. If the caliper piston starts to push out, stop!, reverse the jumper wires. You should hear the parking brake retract and the piston not move. Continue until the caliper piston starts to spin, stop! Now push the caliper piston back in with a brake tool, c-clamp, etc. Replace pads as you would normally. After all the brakes have been replaced. Pump brake pedal until you have a firm pedal. Check the brake fluid. Then turn on and off the electromechanical parking brake a few times and you should be good to go. Very simple!
    2009 ​Audi A4 2.0TDI S-Line (143)
    Fully registered VCDS in Portsmouth & surrounding areas , and fault scanning of other makes.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Oh come on now, that's a ridiculous statement to make, its got nothing to do with VAG making more money, the systems weren't designed for vag to coin it, they were designed with number of things in mind, ergonomics, cabin space & allow better designed console/interior.
    Not sure if you're taking the P or not

5th Gear

Status
    He isn't lol
    NHN likes this.
    2012 RNSe Navigation Discs with unit software update. PM me.

Suzuki GSX-R 750 K5

A4 S-Line. Mods so far; Cruise, DIS, Mk2 RNS-e, Audi 6 CD changer, XcarLink with self manufactured permanent ipod dock, B8 MFSW, Dectane Dayline Headlights with independantly switched DRL's, RS4 Rear ARB, De-badged, RS4 pedals, HIDS, RS4 front grille and RS4 style fog surrounds, LCR splitter in Satin Black, Rear Park Assist, LED gearknob, Red footwell lighting, Kitchen sink and Shower cubicle.