Sky InsuranceChris Nott

Thread: LED Strips

1st Gear

Status

LED Strips

I'm currently doing some stuff with a spare set of Bi-Xenon headlights and I have removed the chrome 'fin' that runs around the front inner and lower edge of the unit and thought it be quite easy to run a strip of LED's around it and it look quite good however... I hate the look of the LED strips purely because they look like LED strips..

Anyone know where I can get some that look like a continuous strip of light, like on the new audi's? Or how I can diffuse them somehow to look like that?

Cheers, James

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    ay I'm quite the fan of the newer "bar" DLRs :D

maybe if you shine the LEDs through some lightly frosted perspex? possibly drill small countersunk holes into the perspex where each LED is situated so that it's putting more light into the plastic, also the angled surfaces will help distribute the light throughout the bar with total internal refraction.

makes sense in my head at least

perspex/pvc/what ever ya want to call it would be pretty good too as you can gently heat it to get it to follow the contours of the unit

1st Gear

Status
    I was thinking I'd have to do something like this.

I wonder if I got a bit of transparent Perspex rod and moulded that to te contours and then put slits all the way across it or rough the surface up someway I could put an LED at either end and it would refract the light in a way that would give me the 'solid' bar of light...

I had a close look at how the new range rovers did it and its the same principle but the plasticky has a sort of diamond type pattern in it to diffuse the light.

Ill look into it

cheers, James

1st Gear

Status
    yea, just wondering how bright it would be with just one at each end though :\ but still, if ya got an LED strip can pick up some perspex for cheap off ebay or maybe if ya got a plastics place near by you can ask nicely for some off cuts to do some trials :D am really curious to see what ya gunna go with so keep us posted of developments :D might have a play myself as I have a multi colour led strip with remote... prob got some perspex sheets laying about... not ideal but good for a general idea :D

GOOD LUCK!! :D and we want pics

1st Gear

Status
    Will keep you updated. I havent even been in the garage for a few days so I'll take some pics when I do. I need to source some triangular acrylic rod.. Anyone.. ideally right angle triangle...

1st Gear

Status
    And I've jsut realised I've posted all this in the wrong section.... :/ I need a mod to move this over to the B7 section lol...