Which model to go for..........

goldenballs999

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am on several other forums but this is my first Audi one and thought was a good place to start for some sensible advice, so all help welcome!

I am unsure which TDi to go for......I know I want an Avant Quattro and was unsure whether to go for the 2.0 or 3.0?! I will soon be in the market to get back to the Audi badge and can't wait!

What are the pros and cons for the two engines, economy, power, scope for tuning etc etc?

Thanks in advance!

Jonny :cool:

Having tried both before buying mine the decision was an easy one.

The 3.0 tdi is smoother, faster, sounds great and has a very similar mpg to the 2.0.
I managed 44 mpg on 100 mile motorway run the other day, averaging about 37 overall.
The only issue with the 3.0 is the extra cost, you just have to weigh up if its worth it. For me I am very happy with my 3.0.

Its a very easy car to drive smoothly or but cant half shift when you need it to. Motorway travel is very relaxed.
I find it quite slow off the mark unless you really welly it but once on the move it has enormous grunt.

Cheers for the reply! Can I ask, have you had any engine work done and what box have you got?

Jonny

no brainer.the 2.0tdi is a slug.must be the 3.0 all the way.that v6 is soooo smooth.wish id paid the extra

Another in the 3.0 camp........thats where I was heading but trying to consider all the options! Is the 3.0 the preferred option then? I don't do massive mileage so can afford the bigger engine extravagance. Trying to establish the benefit of getting the 3.0 and am assessing the pros and cons?!

J

Last edited:
TDi is to gutsy on the fuel. The 2.0 TFSI is the way forward. Faster, same torque, better sound and BETTER MPG!!!! Seriously.
If you have to go for a TDi, the 177bhp 2.0TDi is good.

Mine has a manual box and is not yet a year old so I haven't had it remapped and probably wont as I am happy with the performance.

As comparisons with a 2.0 TFSI, I haven't driven one but on paper the 3.0 tdi has more torque 500 v 350, is slightly quicker 0-60, but its the 30-50 times where the 3.0 is most impressive, overtaking ability is outstanding.

If the 3.0 in not fast enough for you you will have to look towards an S4.

I'd pick the 3.0TDI over the 2.0TDI
I'd also pick the 3.0TDI over the 2.0TFSI
But I'd pick the 2.0TFSI over the 2.0TDI
V6 > Straight 4
More torque, more power, better mileage.

I'll just contribute a bit saying that I've driven the 2.0TDi, 2.0TFSI and the 3.0TDi and the 3.0 was the one that won me over in the end hands down. Paired with the S-Tronic gearbox it's smooth, quiet and efficient (my lower mpg is because my commute is only 6 miles and has a decent amount of traffic so never get above 40mph!) but has serious poke when needed.

I have the DTUK box attached to mine and can get 0-60 times of 5 seconds flat but still get 45+ mpg on the dual carriageway. Win win for me.

Reactions: ABYSS
Note that they now have a 177PS 2.0 TDI Quattro with S-Tronic. I test drove this recently as I'm replacing my 3.0 TDi Quattro S-tronic.

Still undecided which way to go. The 2.0 drove fine and was very refined with the S-tronic box. Just slightly lower geared than mine. Can still be hustled along and in 95% of driving I wouldn't miss the performance. Its also £4k cheaper new! Just a shame it only 'slightly' more economical than a new 3.0...