EM TuningVolks Autos
Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 5102 IA
  • 1 Post By 5102 IA

Thread: Interior door brushed aluminium insert replacements

  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    11

    Interior door brushed aluminium insert replacements

    Hi all,
    I've got a 2010 S-Line 2.0 TDI and I'm wondering how easy (if it all) it is to replace the brushed aluminium door inserts that run along by the door handles (couple of scratches from luggage from previous owner). And also the aluminium edge fitting that runs around the gear console (again, a few dents from previous owner). I know it's only superficial stuff, but those are the only two things that are not in mint condition.

    Any recommendations on parts? What to do? If it can be done?
    Cheers.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,087
    They can be done, but it wont be cheap, some people have wrapped there's or painted them for less money.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  4. #3
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    They can be done, but it wont be cheap, some people have wrapped there's or painted them for less money.
    Are we talking hundreds for replacements? The console edging really only needs replacing, as it's the aluminium part on the perimeter that's dented, not the plastic console. The console itself is fine. What sort of paint would you use to paint brushed aluminium door inserts NHN?

  5. #4
    Keef's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by elwappo View Post
    Are we talking hundreds for replacements? The console edging really only needs replacing, as it's the aluminium part on the perimeter that's dented, not the plastic console. The console itself is fine. What sort of paint would you use to paint brushed aluminium door inserts NHN?
    I have the trim costs and a 'how to' guide at home
    I'll post them when I get chance.
    All trims are easy to change except centre console
    Which requires the console to be removed!
    S4 Avant quattro Black Edition

  6. #5
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Keef View Post
    I have the trim costs and a 'how to' guide at home
    I'll post them when I get chance.
    All trims are easy to change except centre console
    Which requires the console to be removed!
    Thanks Keef, that would be fantastic.

  7. #6
    5102 IA's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    58
    I've just swapped all my brushed S-line trim out for oCarbon pieces.

    2013-05-27100233.jpg


    2013-05-27100244.jpg


    2013-05-27100349.jpg

    2013-05-27100336.jpg

    2013-05-27100307.jpg

    The door pieces were on an exchange basis, but I have a spare centre console trim free from dents that I could be persuaded to part with.
    The door and dash pieces are a breeze to swap out, the centre console suround sounds more difficult and involved than it actually is.
    Link to the "how to" here:
    oCarbon – blog � B8 A4/S4 Trim Removal Guide

    Unfortunately it is the hundreds option, but the quality is first rate.

    Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg A.jpg (90.9 KB, 151 views)
    ScottishS3 likes this.
    Phantom Black B8 3.0 TDI Quattro S-Line Avant going forward..... and 3.0 24v Manta going sideways

  8. #7
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    2,219
    You need this guide
    B8 A4/S4 Trim Removal Guide

    and ebay for the bits

    looks like the guide is the same as previous post....apologies
    Pass me my sock

    Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

  9. #8
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,087
    I'm not a carbon lover tbh, but I have to say, that looks very professionally done.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  10. #9
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by 5102 IA View Post
    I've just swapped all my brushed S-line trim out for oCarbon pieces.

    2013-05-27100233.jpg


    2013-05-27100244.jpg


    2013-05-27100349.jpg

    2013-05-27100336.jpg

    2013-05-27100307.jpg

    The door pieces were on an exchange basis, but I have a spare centre console trim free from dents that I could be persuaded to part with.
    The door and dash pieces are a breeze to swap out, the centre console suround sounds more difficult and involved than it actually is.
    Link to the "how to" here:
    oCarbon – blog � B8 A4/S4 Trim Removal Guide

    Unfortunately it is the hundreds option, but the quality is first rate.

    Ian
    Thanks Ian, the door trims look a doddle after looking at that guide - thanks for the links guys. Regarding your centre console, I've only got dents on the carbon fibre part that you fitted, so just wondering if I'd need to remove the console just to replace that? Does it pop out off like the door trims?

    By the way, yours looks the dogs danglies now. Very nice. I've got a multi-tronic without the audio equipment buttons on the centre console, so I couldn't take your spare one off your hands unfortunately.

  11. #10
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    11
    Also wondering guys, are the back door trims the same size / shape as the front?

  12. #11
    Keef's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    501
    Sorry elwappo

    Didn’t get chance to post the info – the how to guides I have are the oCarbon ones anyway.
    When I got my car in 2011 I wasn’t overly keen on the piano black trim and looked into changing it.
    Good quality, second hand B8 trims where as rare as rockin horse Sh#t on ebay – but worth checking regularly.

    These are the prices dealer quoted me in 2011 for standard silver trims

    £35.97 each front door
    £40.29 each rear door
    £30.96 dash
    + Vat, Supply only

    Centre console - Supplied and fitted £165 including vat. (wasn’t brave enough to tackle the centre console removal myself)

    I didn’t bother in the end, cost too much and grew to like the black trim.
    S4 Avant quattro Black Edition

  13. #12
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Keef View Post
    Sorry elwappo

    Didn’t get chance to post the info – the how to guides I have are the oCarbon ones anyway.
    When I got my car in 2011 I wasn’t overly keen on the piano black trim and looked into changing it.
    Good quality, second hand B8 trims where as rare as rockin horse Sh#t on ebay – but worth checking regularly.

    These are the prices dealer quoted me in 2011 for standard silver trims

    £35.97 each front door
    £40.29 each rear door
    £30.96 dash
    + Vat, Supply only

    Centre console - Supplied and fitted £165 including vat. (wasn’t brave enough to tackle the centre console removal myself)

    I didn’t bother in the end, cost too much and grew to like the black trim.
    Thanks Keef. I've been doing some digging on ebay as suggested, and you're totally right - I think I'll get the front door trims off the dealership with those prices and have the guarantee of them being new. They look very straightforward to fit looking at the oCarbon instructions - just a screw driver needed. Can't believe the rear ones are more expensive, they look identical and was tempted to try and swap rear and fronts?

    The centre console, I'll get the dealer to sort as I'm not brave enough either. Shame the previous careful lady owner couldn't keep her heavy keys or something similar denting the aluminium edging. The rest of the car is in mint condition tho.

  14. #13
    Keef's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    501
    I would suggest you use a trim removal tool instead of a screw driver.
    I found plastics cutlery knives (not the disposable ones!)
    are good.
    I can't believe the centre trim is fixed under the console - I even thought about
    Breaking the fixing tabs and using adhesive pads to fit the new one.
    But I'm not suggesting you do that.
    I have since removed the glovebox so would
    be braver this time round!
    Good luck
    S4 Avant quattro Black Edition

  15. #14
    5102 IA's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by elwappo View Post
    Thanks Ian, the door trims look a doddle after looking at that guide - thanks for the links guys. Regarding your centre console, I've only got dents on the carbon fibre part that you fitted, so just wondering if I'd need to remove the console just to replace that? Does it pop out off like the door trims?

    By the way, yours looks the dogs danglies now. Very nice. I've got a multi-tronic without the audio equipment buttons on the centre console, so I couldn't take your spare one off your hands unfortunately.
    The centre console trim (brushed ali bit) is independent of the shifter and audio trim - ie it would fit any B8 variant.
    I'll post it up on ebay when I get the chance anyway... but if your interested drop me a message.
    There are 8 or so self tapers keeping the trim in place from beneath, so no way of prising it off!

    I was surprised when I fit the carbon door trims that the front and rear are not interchangeable - strangely the rear door trim is about 3mm longer!! Why they would tool up for different parts with such a small change is beyond me!!
    Phantom Black B8 3.0 TDI Quattro S-Line Avant going forward..... and 3.0 24v Manta going sideways

  16. #15
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    I'm not a carbon lover tbh, but I have to say, that looks very professionally done.
    Hes been at it a while now, and can do it in silver carbon red, blue any colour you like.Its carbon cloth covered in resin.Its cheaper to send him your bits to re-cover.Was about a six week turnaround what with the postage and that.
    Pass me my sock

    Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

  17. #16
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,087
    Does he do carbon socks aswell lmao

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  18. #17
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    17
    Definitely second using a plastic trim tool, or wrapping the screwdriver end with some tape to avoid marking the door panel when you pop the door inserts off

  19. #18
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by 5102 IA View Post
    The centre console trim (brushed ali bit) is independent of the shifter and audio trim - ie it would fit any B8 variant.
    I'll post it up on ebay when I get the chance anyway... but if your interested drop me a message.
    There are 8 or so self tapers keeping the trim in place from beneath, so no way of prising it off!

    I was surprised when I fit the carbon door trims that the front and rear are not interchangeable - strangely the rear door trim is about 3mm longer!! Why they would tool up for different parts with such a small change is beyond me!!
    I presume I'd still have to take the console out to fit it? Can you PM me a pic to take a look at it - are there any dents/scuffs? I'm away from tomorrow for a week but if you can send me a pic before then, I can probably get back to you this evening.

  20. #19
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    11
    Well, just picked up my interior door trim for Audi dealership. Really quick turnaround, popped in Tuesday and ordered it, and he said it'll be in today. They do make a hell of a difference compared to the scratched ones. Far easier than trawling eBay as suggested, and not too bad at £37.50 each.

    Spoke to the guy and he said I can replace the piece of brushed aluminium around the centre console and they can order that too. For the price (think he said £90!!) I may as well get a brand new, shiny, shiny console (fitted too at £165) as there's the odd small scuff on the plastic. But I'm gonna wait for till next month for that!

  21. #20
    ScottishS3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Moray
    Posts
    1,489
    Quote Originally Posted by elwappo View Post
    Thanks Ian, the door trims look a doddle after looking at that guide - thanks for the links guys. Regarding your centre console, I've only got dents on the carbon fibre part that you fitted, so just wondering if I'd need to remove the console just to replace that? Does it pop out off like the door trims?

    By the way, yours looks the dogs danglies now. Very nice. I've got a multi-tronic without the audio equipment buttons on the centre console, so I couldn't take your spare one off your hands unfortunately.
    Nice mate! Have you replaced your steering wheel as well?
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit



  22. #21
    5102 IA's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    58
    Thanks.
    Yeah,I've fitted the flat bottom wheel too...well spotted (and S5 pedal set).
    I fitted the wheel into my previous B6 and couldn't part with it when the B6 went, so it came with me :-)
    Phantom Black B8 3.0 TDI Quattro S-Line Avant going forward..... and 3.0 24v Manta going sideways

  23. #22
    ScottishS3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Moray
    Posts
    1,489
    Quote Originally Posted by 5102 IA View Post
    Thanks.
    Yeah,I've fitted the flat bottom wheel too...well spotted (and S5 pedal set).
    I fitted the wheel into my previous B6 and couldn't part with it when the B6 went, so it came with me :-)
    Was it hard to fit? I fitted a an M3 wheel in my last 3 series which was kinda fiddly but not bad. I like the round air bag steering wheels in the face lift models and quite like the flat bottom wheel but I have alot of extras (voice etc) controlled through the steering wheel so Im a wee bit reluctant.
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit



  24. #23
    5102 IA's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishS3 View Post
    Was it hard to fit? I fitted a an M3 wheel in my last 3 series which was kinda fiddly but not bad. I like the round air bag steering wheels in the face lift models and quite like the flat bottom wheel but I have alot of extras (voice etc) controlled through the steering wheel so Im a wee bit reluctant.
    It would have been really straightforward, had I not converted the wheel harness for the original install in my B6.
    To fit it in the B8 I had to re-pin the harness again to how it was originally (allowing the use of the dual stage air bag again, that the B6 could not support).

    My B8 is fully loaded too and all the wheel buttons work as they should, as they did in my B6 - I'd done the whole RNSE, cruise, DIS and wheel install in the B6, so it needed coding into the B6 too.

    Having not had a go with a BMW wheel I don't know how they are wired, but for the audio controls on the audi wheels there only appears to be 3 wires from memory, so very straight forward (and then obviously airbag plugs and horn connectors that are straightforward).
    If you undo the torx bolts at the back of your wheel and ease the horn pad off (ignition off!) you'll see the wiring is minimal and just plug and play..
    ScottishS3 likes this.
    Phantom Black B8 3.0 TDI Quattro S-Line Avant going forward..... and 3.0 24v Manta going sideways

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replacing brushed aluminium gearstick surround/trim on 2007 S4 Cabriolet (B7)
    By worldtraveller in forum Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th February 2012, 09:37
  2. removing a interior door pannel - A4
    By imported_bpascua in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23rd February 2005, 09:46
  3. Near side front interior door trim removal advice?
    By Greytop in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 9th January 2005, 18:49
  4. Interior Aluminium Inserts? Easy to buy/fit?
    By ashleyminors in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 8th January 2005, 11:59
  5. Where can I get S3 interior door trim handles?
    By simonhenchie in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 18th July 2003, 11:18

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO