Chris NottBadger5
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By riggssuzuki
  • 1 Post By Gavin0478

Thread: Audi Quattro and rolling road

  1. #1
    riggssuzuki's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Elgin, Scotland
    Posts
    444

    Question Audi Quattro and rolling road

    Hi. I am planning a rolling road session next week. I have heard on many occassions that there are issues with dynos and the Quattro system. Does anyone know what needs to be done to allow the A4 Quattro to be dyno'd. I believe its something to do with the EDL needing disabled? If its a fuse then which one? I dont want to turn up only then to find there are issues as per the last poor mans attempt!!!


    2011 A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Dynamik. IBIS White.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    6th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,235
    Torsen quattro's can only be diyno'ed on a 4 wheel dynamometer ! Only the Haldex quattro's (a3/s3,golf/octavia,etc.) can be dyno'ed on a 2 wheel dyno by taking the ABS fuse off, turning them into a 2 wheel drive !
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

  4. #3
    riggssuzuki's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Elgin, Scotland
    Posts
    444
    I don't believe this is the case. Another a4 Quattro owner had issues with a 4 wheel rolling road. I believe that the Edl is the issue and the abs fuse removal fixes it???
    Audi Dynamik likes this.


    2011 A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Dynamik. IBIS White.

  5. #4
    Daggerit's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    898
    It can be done for sure as there are plenty of A4/6/8 and R8's that have been dyno'd. But it would have to be a four wheel dyno and the mechanical centre diff won't allow for two wheel drive like the haldex with the clutch.

    Whether you have to take the ABS fuse out of not I don't know but I would've thought that would try to break various wheels to keep them all spinning at the same rate so it would make sense.
    Daytona Grey A4 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Tronic Black Edition



  6. #5
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Barry, Vale of Glamorgan, United Kingdom
    Posts
    55
    Does that mean I could run my 1999 s3 with haldex in 2 wd?

  7. #6
    6th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,235
    Quote Originally Posted by s3welshy View Post
    Does that mean I could run my 1999 s3 with haldex in 2 wd?
    1 Yes, your car IS front wheel drive until the front wheels slip and the Haldex diff will transfer power to the rear up to 80%...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

  8. #7
    6th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,235
    Quote Originally Posted by riggssuzuki View Post
    I don't believe this is the case. Another a4 Quattro owner had issues with a 4 wheel rolling road. I believe that the Edl is the issue and the abs fuse removal fixes it???
    Torsen will split the power 50-50 in normal conditions but the latest generation as fitted to s4 and rs4 will allow a 60-40 split with bias towards the back to enhance the sporty drive ! Disconnecting the ABS will disable the EDL but with all 4 wheels on the rollers i doubt they will slip ?!
    The centre diff will not allow drive on a 2 wheel dyno but i see no problem on a 4 wheel drive dyno !
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

  9. #8
    riggssuzuki's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Elgin, Scotland
    Posts
    444
    Any idea what fuse to pull. One of the other guys on the forum had his B8 2.0 Quattro TFSi on the dyno earlier this month and it wouldnt dyno due to the EDL working its magic.
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4...ml#post1832558


    2011 A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Dynamik. IBIS White.

  10. #9
    Audi Dynamik's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,121
    Thats me !
    I was on a 4wd Rolling Road and there was other Audi Quattro's there which didn't need there fuse taken out which ran successful. all but mine.

    I have asked around tuning companys with 4wd Rolling Road's and this is the solution i came to.

    The Electronic Differential Lock (EDL) permits smooth, comfortable starts on road surfaces that do not have a uniform coefficient of friction. If a wheel starts to spin, EDL brakes it as necessary so that power is transmitted to the wheel with the better traction. EDL reduces tire wear and works up to about 25 mph (quattro®: up to about 50 mph). EDL is part of the Electronic Stabilization Program (ESP®) and the Traction control (ASR).

    What i guess is now that because the Car has edl the abs fuse needs to be taken out for it to work successfully on the Rolling Road or use a VCDS to disable the edl meanwhile it is running on the Rolling Road.

    If this is true or not i don't know ?
    Her 2011 Limited Edition A4 Dynamik 2.0 Tfsi quattro 211 BHP Saloon & Mine 2013 Bmw 535D M Sport 313 Bhp 630nm.
    ***Audi's In The Park***The Biggest Audi Event In Europe 10th August 2014*** http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audis-park-aitp-2014/221933-audis-park-2014-show-10th-august-billing-aquadrome.html
    Reputation given for the best answer.



  11. #10
    Gavin0478's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    cleveland
    Posts
    452
    You need a dyno where the rollers front and rear are mechanically linked to fool the car it is on normal road otherwise there is a difference of resistance which the cars computers try to compensate for and basically wont run.

    Copied from a dyno description
    "The key to designing an AWD dynamometer properly is to understand the methods currently being used by manufacturers in the field of AWD drivetrain technology. A dynamometer that can accommodate various types of AWD vehicle transmissions and wheelbases without excessive complication and, more importantly, without risking damage to a client’s AWD system is paramount.Full time AWD vehicles are designed to provide maximum performance regardless of road conditions. In cases where traction is less than ideal, a vehicle may be designed to improve stability and traction at the expense of power. This means adding torque to a spinning wheel or retarding of timing. In order to properly test an AWD vehicle for peak performance, an AWD chassis dynamometer must be able to simulate ideal road-load conditions to the vehicle. This approach allows the vehicle to be evaluated under “optimum” operational conditions; whereby torque is distributed to the vehicle’s tires in the same manner that would normally occur when a vehicle has equal traction at all four drive wheels, and is therefore operating at peak efficiency.
    To achieve this, Mustang’s AWD-500 Series incorporates an internal drive system that synchronizes the front and back rollers to simulate a flat, dry road condition. Synchronization, or linkage, insures that the front and rear rollers are always spinning at precisely the same road speed. This process eliminates the possibility of activating a vehicle’s traction control system and also insures that a vehicle’s torque management system is operating under the assumption that the vehicle is not skidding, turning or slipping."
    Audi Dynamik likes this.
    V8 baby... oh yeah

  12. #11
    Audi Dynamik's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin0478 View Post
    You need a dyno where the rollers front and rear are mechanically linked to fool the car it is on normal road otherwise there is a difference of resistance which the cars computers try to compensate for and basically wont run.

    Copied from a dyno description
    "The key to designing an AWD dynamometer properly is to understand the methods currently being used by manufacturers in the field of AWD drivetrain technology. A dynamometer that can accommodate various types of AWD vehicle transmissions and wheelbases without excessive complication and, more importantly, without risking damage to a client’s AWD system is paramount.Full time AWD vehicles are designed to provide maximum performance regardless of road conditions. In cases where traction is less than ideal, a vehicle may be designed to improve stability and traction at the expense of power. This means adding torque to a spinning wheel or retarding of timing. In order to properly test an AWD vehicle for peak performance, an AWD chassis dynamometer must be able to simulate ideal road-load conditions to the vehicle. This approach allows the vehicle to be evaluated under “optimum” operational conditions; whereby torque is distributed to the vehicle’s tires in the same manner that would normally occur when a vehicle has equal traction at all four drive wheels, and is therefore operating at peak efficiency.
    To achieve this, Mustang’s AWD-500 Series incorporates an internal drive system that synchronizes the front and back rollers to simulate a flat, dry road condition. Synchronization, or linkage, insures that the front and rear rollers are always spinning at precisely the same road speed. This process eliminates the possibility of activating a vehicle’s traction control system and also insures that a vehicle’s torque management system is operating under the assumption that the vehicle is not skidding, turning or slipping."
    Nice find Gav thanks !
    I think i will secure with that answer
    Her 2011 Limited Edition A4 Dynamik 2.0 Tfsi quattro 211 BHP Saloon & Mine 2013 Bmw 535D M Sport 313 Bhp 630nm.
    ***Audi's In The Park***The Biggest Audi Event In Europe 10th August 2014*** http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audis-park-aitp-2014/221933-audis-park-2014-show-10th-august-billing-aquadrome.html
    Reputation given for the best answer.



  13. #12
    Daggerit's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    898
    Good find! Still doesn't really answer why one A4 was fine on the dyno day but yours didn't?
    Daytona Grey A4 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Tronic Black Edition



  14. #13
    Audi Dynamik's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Daggerit View Post
    Good find! Still doesn't really answer why one A4 was fine on the dyno day but yours didn't?
    Thats true, I don't think there will be anything different because its a Dynamik ?
    Her 2011 Limited Edition A4 Dynamik 2.0 Tfsi quattro 211 BHP Saloon & Mine 2013 Bmw 535D M Sport 313 Bhp 630nm.
    ***Audi's In The Park***The Biggest Audi Event In Europe 10th August 2014*** http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audis-park-aitp-2014/221933-audis-park-2014-show-10th-august-billing-aquadrome.html
    Reputation given for the best answer.



 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10th October 2011, 08:52
  2. 3inch TIP and rolling road
    By s3 man in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 9th February 2011, 23:57
  3. FMIC and Rolling road
    By s3 man in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 9th January 2011, 19:02
  4. Revo and Rolling road.
    By Ricco in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24th November 2006, 14:33
  5. haldex and rolling road?
    By marckell in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 30th May 2005, 19:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO