2013 A4 Sline 177 Tdi Steering

chrizb

Reaction score
Afternoon

Ive owned the above vehicle from new December 2012. Having now covered 4000 miles im asking this question.
The steering which I believe to be the new electric style is shocking! To give you a quick idea, at slow speed to weight of the wheel does not seem to adjust consistantly, and it suffers from massive tram lining. When I say tram linning I mean thats what it feels like. For once its not the roads fault, regardless of speed or conditions I seem to get jerks from left to right and its a two handed job for a safe drive!
Im running on standard sline 18' wheels with no modifications. Before I go into Audi all guns blazing to be told its a "driving characteristic" i thought I should ask you guys.

Thanks In Adnavce
Chris

Get in touch with Audi, there are some known issues with steering on the electromechanical setups I believe.

Best I call them on Monday, Interesting though there is known probems on this £30,000 5 month old car.
Thanks for you response

Exactly the reason i didnt buy a facelift.The steering is abortionate even when 'working' properly.Give them hell and dont take no for an answer

My 2009 has the dynamic steering (think that's what they call it)
I have no problems with mine, it is firm and takes some getting used to and gets firmer the faster I go, but no jerking and mine is consistent.
Yours does not sound right, but the tram lining is nothing new with 245 tyres all round and the s-line suspension.

Give the dealer hell :)

Its standard on the newer b8's....my 2009 has bog standard power steering just the way i like it.I know where i am on the road and when i start to lose it.I can feel a fag butt if i run over one.Ive had a loner whilst mine was in for service that had dynamic (speed sensitive) steering, and pushed the car into a left hand bend on a dual carriageway at about 80.The begger tightened right up and i thought my day had come.Not for me thanks. If you think the tram lining is bad on 18's, try 19's with 255s on.But tracked properly this can be considerably reduced

I have a facelifted 3.0 tdi on 255 19's and I have found the steering to be consistent and predictable.
I agree it could do with more feel but I have not had any other issues.
If it is as bad as it sounds there must be another reason, a fault, a tyre issue or a tracking issue

I have had tram lining a couple of times which is not a nice experience at speed and that seems to happen when there is a change in road camber and can catch you out.

Afternoon

Ive owned the above vehicle from new December 2012. Having now covered 4000 miles im asking this question.
The steering which I believe to be the new electric style is shocking! To give you a quick idea, at slow speed to weight of the wheel does not seem to adjust consistantly, and it suffers from massive tram lining. When I say tram linning I mean thats what it feels like. For once its not the roads fault, regardless of speed or conditions I seem to get jerks from left to right and its a two handed job for a safe drive!
Im running on standard sline 18' wheels with no modifications. Before I go into Audi all guns blazing to be told its a "driving characteristic" i thought I should ask you guys.

Thanks In Adnavce
Chris

Hi Chris,
check out my last few posts where I refer to the exact problem you are referring to. I too experienced the same "tramlining" issue in a 2012 2.0TDi loaner i was using whilst my 2013 A4 Avant was being looked at for a knocking sound emanating from the steering.

In the USA like the UK, the problem has affected A4, A5, A6, A7 and A8!! it has resulted in a recall!

If there is any consolation, I met up with an Audi master technician last week and discussed the steering issue you are experiencing. He informs me that the steering fault is a software problem. If his words are to be believed and I have no reason to doubt him your steering problem should be cured within a hour or so in the workshop, although I have heard that some owners have had their steering racks replaced under warranty.

Dave

Hi Chriz, exactly the same with mine, nov 2012 car, with 4k miles on. steering is terrible. its booked in for something else next week, so will let you know. could you keep me informed...ive drove a few hire cars recently with similar issues - think its this new fancy steering.

I've had my 2010 B8 170 quattro for a couple of months now. Took me ages to get used to the servotronic steering, and still not sure I really like it. I do like the weight it gives on fast twisty roads, but who gets to drive those on a daily basis. I don't like the way it changes weight accelerating out of a bend at around 40mph however ! I'm driving a brand new TT coupe quattro S-Line today as mine is in for a few bits and bobs, and the steering feels nice, really nice, but then it hasn't got servotronic (nor should it have :)

Well audi garage said that audi uk know about it, its a software issue, and are looking at fixes....

So to update you all on the last 4 weeks.
The A4 went back to the dealer, they confirmed my A4 is of the 'faulty' batch. They confirmed it is not on all vehicles but only certain VIN's. So they went onto say I will have to continue driving the vehicle untill Audi HQ find the solution. It is software not hardware.
In the mean time the stearing on my vehicle progressively got worse and became so inconsistant I had a near miss with a oncoming car when attempting to turn into a corner. I have reported this issue to Audi HQ and had many phone calls with them, They have confirmed Audi are not expecting a fix untill July time and it will be a 'Safety Recall'. But in the meantime Audi are saying its not a serious problem and continue driving. Ive suggested my vehicle should be grounded and a courtesy car provided in the mean time, I dont think this will happen but they have gone away to chew on it. So thats you all updated for those interested. Good luck if you own a similer vehicle and if you dont have the problem yet, the likely hood is you will once covered 3000 miles and if you vehicle was manufactured between September 2012 and February 2013.
Chris

Just an update on this! After one year of ownership, I've had the Audi recall which was soft wear related. Although this sorted this issue at speeds over 40mph it became worse under 40mph. Just this week the Audi technician after a test drive reported it drives like a 50pence piece! A new steering rack and a few other bits are being fitted next week.
See how we get on with this.

Be sure to get it aligned properly.. as the rear alignment can cause alot of issues

I've noticed the tram-lining on my 3.0 TDI with the 19s and 255 tyres... I thought it was just the way it drove though.

It'll be due it's service in about 900 miles so I'll make sure I say something then to see if there's a software update or anything. :)

Funnily enough mine has just had a software update for the steering and has gone from a consistent feel to something that feels very jerky. Not impressed at all.

I have the same car I picked it up a few months back and the steering is very different to my 54 plate A4 .... I have not noticed any issues so far but did they say what the vin range was hat had this issue ??

Just an update on this! After one year of ownership, I've had the Audi recall which was soft wear related. Although this sorted this issue at speeds over 40mph it became worse under 40mph. Just this week the Audi technician after a test drive reported it drives like a 50pence piece! A new steering rack and a few other bits are being fitted next week.
See how we get on with this.

Hi, Just wondered how you managed to get on with this issue? I know I am resurrecting an old post but my Audi is bugging me!
I have had the car in the garage a few times now. The steering is bad, it tramlines like nothing I have driven before. Its actually dangerous at times. Audi told me there is nothing wrong with it the first time and its just usual road tramlining.... I have driven with low profile wheels before and know that it does tend to follow the road which is manageable.
I then booked a technician demo to which he again stated the same. I have had the car a few months and only covered 2500 miles to which they are saying I should think about changing the tyres!!! Today they have swapped my rears to fronts as the fronts are wearing uneven around 4mm the other 3.8, as they measure across the tyre they saying some parts are less grip than others which makes me think its the tyre position.
If there was a recall I would expect they would have delivered the fix and told me so?
Your help would be greatly appreciated, I just want it to drive safe as it can be terrible at times and make a right meal of a loose flat road.

Audi Aberdeen had a Software Recall update for my old A4 B8.5, 2.0 Tdi last year for Steering and Slave master cylinders which was Issued from Audi GMBH Germany.

Hi, regarding the tramlining; my S4 really suffered with this. On my drive to work, I really had to hold the wheel firmly to keep it roughly straight! However, I have just had new tyres fitted, and instead of the Audi originals (contimax, I think) I went with Michelin as they were doing a deal, the tramlining has completely stopped. They're the same size, can't explain why the tyre tread pattern might make such a difference but it has transfomed the handling. You may consider trying a different brand when the time comes, it may help.

Audi Aberdeen had a Software Recall update for my old A4 B8.5, 2.0 Tdi last year for Steering and Slave master cylinders which was Issued from Audi GMBH Germany.

Sorry for the geek moment, but Audi is a Aktiengesellschaft company meaning it has public liability (AG), whereas Quattro is a limited liability which makes it's a GmbH registered company :)

Reactions: Rab.
Quattro GmbH is a private subsidiary and only sells its cars under the Audi franchise and badges. The cars they produce are the R8's or one of the other RS models, these are all made in a separate factory in Neckarsulm. Fact Friday lol :)

Hey Buddy,

what reply did you get with Audi? i have a 2013 A4 TDI, same issue, its generally fine, and then sometimes decided to drift the f**k off into the bushes or on coming cars!

seems like a very well known issue, what were people outcomes after talking to dealers?