only went in for an oil change

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    What happened?!

3rd Gear

Status
    only joking , its my brothers garage , its in the free - labour - bay. having cam belt ,water pump . new clutch and dual mass as it had judder in first gear , dual mass was knackered . then oil pump drive is been changed as they can fail.

fitted new dual mass + clutch , whipped cam belt off and water pump out . steam cleaned engine and box (not shown in pic) and steamed the engine bay as well .

need to get sump off in morning and swap oil pump drive ,then get it all back in .

not bad 4 hours work .

then its in body shop on thursday for the roof painting as some one intentionally scratched two U shapes in the back of the roof .

6th Gear

Status
    Christ ! at first glance on the first photo i thought the car was burnt out ! :0
    Her 2011 Limited Edition A4 Dynamik 2.0 Tfsi quattro 211 BHP Saloon & Mine 2013 Bmw 535D M Sport 313 Bhp 630nm.
    ***Audi's In The Park***The Biggest Audi Event In Europe 10th August 2014*** http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audis-park-aitp-2014/221933-audis-park-2014-show-10th-august-billing-aquadrome.html
    Reputation given for the best answer.

6th Gear

Status
    thats a frightening sight!!
    Pass me my sock

Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

3rd Gear

Status
    well its all back together again now. clutch is so much lighter even though is hydraulic no more judder and 1st gear engages without the notchiness. the oil pump drive was a close one .the balancer shaft was worn and the hex drive was badly worn out you can rotate the hex key in the drive by half way on each side . movement was like a spoon in a bowl of soup.

new water pump/cam belt . all filters fluids etc .

looked even worse at 8 oclock this morning sump off etc all in parts washer and steamed off to finish before re-assembly 20130410_095110.jpg

2nd Gear

Status
    Which engine? How many miles?

3rd Gear

Status
    Mine is engine code cah 2.0 common rail .but it happens to all 2.0 tdi engines manufactured before 09/09

Needs checking with your vin as a 2010 car could easily have a 2009 engine .

Mine has 98, 000 miles but they've just had to swap a 77, 000 miles engine as oil pressure light came on 5 mins later engine was seized .turbo is dead within seconds when this happens.

Reverse Gear

Status
    So the 2008/9 B8 A4 2.0TDi 2.0L has the same oil pump drive issue as the later B7 A4 gear driven system in that the hex key wears.

What did you have to replace ? I'm guessing from what you said it was just the balance shaft and the hex key. If so won't the problem resurface later ?

Apparently the later (2010) Audi solution is a longer hex shaft but does that require a new balance shaft and oil pump or is just a new balance shaft/hex shaft.

Reason I'm enquiring is MY 08 B8 2.0TDi is due a new cambelt (5 years old with 49K miles). I'd like to get the oill pump drive fixed at the same time but wondering exactly what is needed to ensure Audi don't screw me.

3rd Gear

Status
    1st point is if you go to audi for this done they will screw you . audi wont sell just the balancer shaft and hex key , they only fit the full oil pump cassette.

problem with the original balancer shaft is that were the hex key fits it is a loose fit and it is too shallow , the new balancer shaft has a very tight fit with the hex key , you can feel the suction when pulling the hey key back out of the balancer shaft . it also goes into the key way alot deeper .

im sure (not guaranteed though as i have a bad memory) that the shaft and hex key have a life time warranty. fitment of the shaft is easy .

the cost of the shaft/key was £250

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hollow, thanks for the info.

I have trawled the net for remanufactured balance shafts and would appreciate it if you would PM me on which you are using.

3rd Gear

Status
    sorry for the delay been so busy np i can let you know on here its no secret and i have no affiliation with them whatsoever .
    company is called
    kmbpartsdirect

they have a ebay page as well . same name