New car ordered-which suspension to chose?

ch11zzy

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have just ordered a new a4 avant black edition 2.0tdi Quattro s-tronic and was unsure about my choice of suspension.
The dealer, who I have dealt with a lot, recommended that with the lower s-line suspension and the standard 19" wheels the ride will be very firm and possibly too harsh so I have selected the sports suspension-so far! I will be using the car as a family car with 2 young children regularly in it, I am not going to be driving it too hard but do like the look of the lower suspension, however I guess this needs to be a sensible car and don't want to compromise on comfort too much! I don't mind a firm ride,just don't want it to be uncomfortable. I am currently changing from a 61 plate s3, the dealer has said the s-line suspension on 19" wheels will be firmer than the s3? I was just wondering if anyone has this a4 set up already and can comment to help me either adjust my order or keep it as is. I have read that the newest a4 avant have been a lot smoother,even on s-line suspension and 19's.

Thanks for reading,hopefully someone can help.
mark

I'm on standard S line suspension and 19s and it rides OK for me. Certainly better than my B7 on 18s. I'm used to previous rock hard Audi rides of the past so it seems pretty smooth to me. For my next A4 I will probably spec the Drive Select and Damper Control option.

Hi there,
I have just ordered a new a4 avant black edition 2.0tdi Quattro s-tronic and was unsure about my choice of suspension.
The dealer, who I have dealt with a lot, recommended that with the lower s-line suspension and the standard 19" wheels the ride will be very firm and possibly too harsh so I have selected the sports suspension-so far! I will be using the car as a family car with 2 young children regularly in it, I am not going to be driving it too hard but do like the look of the lower suspension, however I guess this needs to be a sensible car and don't want to compromise on comfort too much! I don't mind a firm ride,just don't want it to be uncomfortable. I am currently changing from a 61 plate s3, the dealer has said the s-line suspension on 19" wheels will be firmer than the s3? I was just wondering if anyone has this a4 set up already and can comment to help me either adjust my order or keep it as is. I have read that the newest a4 avant have been a lot smoother,even on s-line suspension and 19's.

Thanks for reading,hopefully someone can help.
mark

Was in the same dilemma as yourself when I ordered my A4 Avant BE in November. I also have 2 young children and in the end opted to stay with the standard suspension set up. It is comfortable considering riding on 19's and visually it is virtually impossible to decipher the difference between S Line V Sports Suspension.

I would also add that my Black Edition is in my Audi dealers at the moment as there is a front end knocking and squeak! It has only covered 800 miles and to say I am not happy is an understatement. Further research of this problem confirms this is a common problem and is also a reoccurring one too! Audi also have a major problem with the electric power steering which affects A4, A5, A6 and A7. The steering racks are at fault and the 62 plate A4 Avant loaner I am driving around in appears to be afflicted with this problem......it is not very nice as the steering seems to pull the car left and right and feels like the car is "tram lining". My A4 Avant has not shown this defect yet and I hope it doesn't. It is a massive problem in USA with many owners threatening to reject their cars and requesting the NTSB issue a manufacturer recall! I have to confess to being disappointed with my new Audi as the previous 2 have been fantastic and fault free motor cars.

maybe wishing I had purchased the BMW F31 Tourer now!

We have the optional S Line suspension and 19'' alloys on ours and I have to say the ride is very good. It can be a bit harsh on pot holes (what suspension isnt?) but fine for normal everyday driving... We had a B7 previously and the ride is still better than it was on that car.

This is our family car and we use it daily for ferrying the kids around with no issues.

It does sit noticably lower than the standard S line and I wouldnt consider ordering new without it!

3b20f5cee9bd17cf5129844090d4b809.jpg

Thanks for your replies, I'll get in touch with audi today and change over to s-line suspension.
Decision made! Thanks

I have a 09 b8 sline 2.0 tdi, and running on 19's.At the time of purchase I could only have sport suspension fitted (20mm drop).For some reason audi wouldnt build it with sline (30mm drop).Coming from a b7 sline it was like driving a 2cv.So much sloopy bounce and roll.The sline with the proper 30mm drop is so much better, much tighter with a good ride.Not crashy or hard.I had to rectify mine by fitting aftermarket arb's and springs so now im slightly lower than standard sline.And it drives superb.Tight, no roll but i was surprised at how good the ride is.If you have any doubts, test drive a sline with the proper drop.You will be surprised how good it is.

The knocking from the front of A4's is pretty prevelant in the US, that is fixed by replacing tie bars with modified ones.Theres a lot of posts on this on audizine.com

The reason I wont buy a new A4 is solely down to the electric steering...really hate it but thats another story.

Get the lowered looks and the comfort when you want : Dynamic Suspension

I thought dynamic only gave you the 20mm drop that you get with the standard sport suspension - not the 30mm we're talking about with the S Line set up!?!