3.0 tdi quattro manual clutch issue?

harra1979

Reaction score
Hi, I picked up my 3.0 tdi quattro with manual box 1 week ago. I have noticed that there is a judder when pulling away in 1st or reversing. Also get the same judder when down changing from third to second at low revs. The car is going back to the garage next week, but I dont want to be fobbed off. What are the likley causes of this problem. The car has 45k on thr clock and is a 58 plate.

Not really sure but, The Wife's A5 Cabriolet had a clutch judder whilst accelerating so i took it back to Audi under warranty and they did a Software Update which solved the problem.

Our 3.0 tdi has ever such a slight judder just as you release the clutch, I have only noticed it when setting off

Common problem, new clutch and flywheel required. Done mine few months back with 55k on the clock.

Common problem, new clutch and flywheel required. Done mine few months back with 55k on the clock.

Thanks for the reply. Was your repair carried out under warranty? If not what was the cost of this job and how long was the car in the garage for? Cheers Andy

Hi Andy,

Cost was out of my own pocket, I paid just under £1900.
Clutch, flywheel, release bearing + labour, the parts were all from Audi.

You could try 'Kimber car parts' as I found out afterwards, same OEM stuff there for fraction of the price.
'LUK' make the flyweel, was around £900 from Audi, but kimber (exact same) think was near £500!.
Not sure on the clutch, you could phone and ask but sure to be far cheaper.

Mine was terrible reversing uphill, really bad judder. Pulling away with a slight judder, but was slowly getting worse so decided to bite the bullet. Please with it now.

Hello Trance, was your clutch bite quite high? I'm having a similar juddering with my 3.0TDi which is only noticeable in first and my clutch bite is really close to the floor.

Just throwing my 2pence in here, I had a similar issue and turned out to be the DM flywheel was shot, called Audi and was quoted £900+, called local motor factor and the exact same part (LUK) was £550. Ok as mine is tweeked I thought I'd splash out on a stage 3 clutch at the same time, fitted and very on/off so swapped the 6 paddle plate for an original Audi one and it juddered like mad, turns out there are a couple of set springs which need to be adjusted to stop the vibration. Drives smoothly now

Stonefish,No change in bite point or clutch travel. I was under the impression that the advantage of the dual mass flywheel was when the clutch starts to go that you don't loose your bite point. I think thats there designed advantage. I might be wrong but it may just be your peddle mechanism that needs adjusted.