EM TuningVolks Autos
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By @ndr3w

Thread: Heated Front Windscreen

Reverse Gear

Status

Heated Front Windscreen

Hi,

Is it possible to have a heated windscreen? (New screen required I know)

I had one in my Mondeo ST TDCI and it was really handy but on the other hand if its awkward to do or expensive then scrapper and Di icer it will be ha!

I have an B8 Audi A4 avant 3.0 TDI (240BHP) by the way just in case this matters.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I believe Ford own the "rights" to the technology so they patented the idea so it costs money for other companies to use that idea, not 100% sure thou.
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]2010 Audi A4 2.0 TDI S line Exec, Misano Red, AMI, Phone & Voice Prep Bluetooth, CD Changer, DAB, 19" Alloys, Black Pack, Alcantara Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Start Stop, White LED Mod, Tints.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I see no option on a B8 for heated screen.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

moderately amusing

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mike60eley View Post
    I believe Ford own the "rights" to the technology so they patented the idea so it costs money for other companies to use that idea, not 100% sure thou.
    this is correct

Reverse Gear

Status
    Well that has answered that then! Thanks guys

Neutral

Status
    Agree, I miss the heated screen that was on my Mondeo. Would have thought the Germans found a way of developing another heated screen which does not infringe Ford's rights..?

1st Gear

Status

Heated Front Windscreen

I would love this and would pay good money! On a similar topic has anyone noticed there appears to be some sort of heating on the windscreen were the wipers park that must be electrical cause it works pretty quickly when scrapping the windscreen
    A4 Avant 2.0tfsi S-Line Quattro 2010, Misano Red, thinking about bluefin when i have the cash

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rosscotdi View Post
    I would love this and would pay good money! On a similar topic has anyone noticed there appears to be some sort of heating on the windscreen were the wipers park that must be electrical cause it works pretty quickly when scrapping the windscreen
    Have not checked my A4. I once had a Lexus IS200 which had a heating element built into the front screen where the wipers sit. This was to stop them sticking in cold weather.

Neutral

Status
    The Ford patent doesn't appear to be such an issue in the aftermarket. Heated screens are available for most rally cars - I've a heated screen in my Opel Manta track car from these guys:
    UroGlas - Heated Glazings
    (sure others are available too)

We had a group buy and they came in at £110 each with a minimum run of ten if I remember, but that was getting on for 10 years ago now and they dont come much simpler than Manta screens. I suspect with option on the B8 such as auto lights, wipers, acoustic glass etc thing could be considerable more expensive!

The B8's an unlikely rally car so I doubt they've any off the shelf, but they may be interested if enough people are interested and you dont mind the aftermarket aspect.
    The heating elelment is separate on the Left and Right sides requiring a 30 Amp relay for each side - simple enough, old fashioned wiring.

Ian
    Last edited by 5102 IA; 23rd March 2013 at 16:33.
    Phantom Black B8 3.0 TDI Quattro S-Line Avant going forward..... and 3.0 24v Manta going sideways

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mike60eley View Post
    Both Land Rover and Mini use heated front screens too, so I am not entirely convinced Ford own the patents outright on this basis.

1st Gear

Status

Heated Front Windscreen

Hmm land rover are owned by ford, mini on the other hand being owned by BMW not sure about that one
    A4 Avant 2.0tfsi S-Line Quattro 2010, Misano Red, thinking about bluefin when i have the cash

1st Gear

Status
    Google seems to say that the wire-embedded-in-the-screen technology was owned by Ford, they did grant limited licences to select competitors such as for use on the BMW etc.. but it looks like they have lost the patent or it expired?
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]2010 Audi A4 2.0 TDI S line Exec, Misano Red, AMI, Phone & Voice Prep Bluetooth, CD Changer, DAB, 19" Alloys, Black Pack, Alcantara Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Start Stop, White LED Mod, Tints.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rosscotdi View Post
    Hmm land rover are owned by ford, mini on the other hand being owned by BMW not sure about that one
    Land Rover are no longer owned by "Fraud". Indian steel tycoon Ratan Tata purchased Land Rover in 2008. Land Rover come under the umbrella of Tata Motors Group.

5th Gear

Status

Heated Front Windscreen

I have a heated screen in my Vw sharan 05plate. It's the one with the wires embedded through the screen.
    S3 1.8t Ming blue with ivory leather & 18"tt alloys

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by shariain View Post
    I have a heated screen in my Vw sharan 05plate. It's the one with the wires embedded through the screen.
    So if VAG have done it once! To be honest, my butler pre-warms and defrosts my car!
    CHEZ likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    The VW Sharan and Ford Galaxy was the same car and was a joint venture between Ford and VW, hence why it has the heated windscreen..

1st Gear

Status
    The heated front screen is a factory order option on the Skoda Superb and is identical to the Ford set up.
    If Skoda use it, why not Audi...... brilliant idea, must be down to politics I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEZ View Post
    this is correct
    It's in the DNA

shifting to Hyperspace... .

Status
    Recall seeing that the VW Passat had a "wired" heated front screen option 3-4 years ago when I had a brochure.
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera
    2012 A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe Technik (163ps)
    Diagnostics:VCDS HEX+USB+CAN Cable

5th Gear

Status
    fit an aux heater instead
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

Neutral

Status
    What about running an extension lead from your house and wrapping your screen with a heated bed blanket? May be difficult when not at home. I would suggest a generator for this.
    Dragons Den - Here I come!