MMI 3G retrofit

Stonefish

Reaction score
Hi,

I've set myself the project of upgrading my concert III setup to an MMI 3G Nav plus (over a year or so). I've started collecting the kit I need to do a retrofit and have got the 3G high console and an 8T2 035 666 H main unit which is new and unused. I'm concerned the cost of getting the main unit activated(?) and up to date maps loaded will be extortionately high, plus I don't know if the HDD isn't blank and in need of some extra software. I've seen map updates of around £200 which is painful but possible, although I would probably ditch the project if I have to spend much more money on software. Am I looking at a huge bill just to get the main unit/nav working? Would it have been better to buy a used unit?

Cheers,

Lee.

With respect, you're concerned about a few hundred when you've already bought the 3g plus gear, which is far from cheap lol

If any component protection needed removing, then its not that expensive, my mates A5 wasn't expensive, so don't worry, as you're fitting it all anyway, that's the cost taken away except for parts.

Thanks Craig and Nigel for your comments. I think I'll go for a 2011 copy of the maps for starters. Still lots of research to do.

Maps on the HDD have to be activated, installed from an SD card, not from a DVD, so maybe a bit more research is required unless there is something your not telling us.

What is the production year of the 666 unit you bought?

Hi Craig,

Unit was built 20/4/2011. Yep, definitely lots more research needed. I did read I will need a map pack SD card and activation SD card at a cost of £500+ from Audi. I was hoping there was a cheaper option.

You won't be able to activate maps on a retrofitted system by Audi.

So you will need to go down a 3rd party route. There are some companies out there offering updates for a few hundred quid or thereabouts. So you might as well get a 2013 update done by one of these companies and install that.

And you only have two of the parts you need, what about the radio module? can gateway? dash trim? wiring looms? what sound system does you car have?

Thanks for the info, Craig.

My list so far:
4G0035061 Radio DAB
8R0907468 Gateway
4F0919604 Display
8T0035223AN B&O amp to replace CAN bus one
Screen trim, main unit mount, and radio/amp mount from breakers. Cables Kufatec or scrappy.