had a go with plastidip

davsa4

Reaction score
thought my car would look better with black grill rather than chrome but wanted to check before painting as there is no turning back , so with plastidip being removable thought i would give it a go ,must say i prefer it black so will see how the plastidip wears and if it doesnt last i will paint the grill now i have seen the results

before

IMG_2531_zpsaf25f32b.jpg

after

IMG_2549_zpsf3e332a2.jpg

IMG_2557_zpsac9c6dd2.jpg

will be doing around the doors and windows tomorrow ,weather permitting .

looks cool mate i hate crome its for bathrooms and classic cars

It looks really good mate, but i could be a bit biased. :thumbsup:

Looks a lot better. Did you remove grill or mask off?

Just out of interest did you use a plastidip undercoat/primer? or go straight on with the paint? If so did it adhere ok? Ive just never used it before and would be good to know..

Looks awesome for your particular car...Massive improvment!

no undercoat / primer just cleaned with apc and painted ,seems ok up to now but time will tell , if its crap will peel it off and paint it with etch primer and satin black paint now i know i like the look .

regards dav

Very nice Dav, I had a go with plastidip at weekend too. Used it on fog surrounds as test run being something more permanent....

Great job, do they do a gloss black finish or just satin?

Very nice Dav, I had a go with plastidip at weekend too. Used it on fog surrounds as test run being something more permanent....

If you like the finish Plasti dip gave you, you can get a primer that makes permanent.

Some Bits on my car are coming up to year old and still looks great.

Looks great! Really tempted to do mine too but that means roof rails as well as window surrounds... not sure how well it will hold up on roof bars - espcially in the summer when the bike carrier and roof box get used!!!

Did you do the entire grill or just the chrome ? my grill is grey so would look daft if i only did the surround , yours looks the nuts btw , really want to do this to mine rather than buy a black grill

cheers guys ,yes did the whole grill and surround ,seems to be holding up well ,not been fit since i did this to do the door/window surrounds ,hope for a break in the weather so i can get it done .

dav

Hi mate, you say you left the grill on and just masked it off when you did it. What did you put behind it to stop the plastidip going into your radiator or did you just leave it? I'm only asking because I'm really thinking about doing mine.

Thanks

hi didnt put anything behind as when it was painted only done in short blasts from fairly close range so not a lot of overspray ,used the car regularly on short trips and a couple of decent runs since with no issues , must say its holding up really well dechromed our kids b7 s line a couple of years back using acid etch primer and satin black and it used to stone chip like hell but this is blemish free still .

regards dav

Anyone had any joy purchasing the spray in black? Everywhere is out of stock!