Can't Decide which Audi A4 B8

Freddie2112

Reaction score
Looking at Diesels Audi A4's Estates which includes the 2.0l 143 and 170ps the 2.7l 190ps and also the 3.0l 240ps.

at first I though about going for the 143 or 170 versions to gain mpg and also have a fairly qiuck car especially if I had bluefin or something similar. but alot of people don't seem to get any where near the mpg stated on the spec sheets

I already own a 155bhp MK3 Mondeo ST TDCI(Bluefin to 185bhp) and get about 45mpg but it does drop in the winter times to about 42mpg. (20mile commute round trip achieving mostly 60mph)

Then I looked at the 3.0l versions and people seem to be getting better results based on the spec sheets with this car than the 2.0 versions.

Now im not too worried about mpg as long as I get whats expected so for example if a car is stated and 25mpg combined and i get somewhere near that I'm Happy.

If a car is stated at 50mpg and i only get 38mpg Im not happy!

So can you guys point me in the right direction based on your experience?

Thanks

Ps

This is my first post :)

:sign_welcome:
If your more concerned about fuel costs stick to the 2.0 Diesels.
Most models are nowhere near what the manufacture claim and often people complain about this. Your driving style is alot differenrt to the test results therefore it is completely different. I use what the Manufacture claim as a guide line for example the more they claim the more the car does simple as.
Hope i help :)

Ive a 3.0 TDI avant and it's standard in the engine department at the moment.
Real life figures I'm getting are 37mpg on a combined average, but generally 40mpg if it involves motorway runs (keeping to 80).

I do a mixed commute of 30 miles, generally 25 minutes urban, traffic lights queuing etc and 20 mins motorway and get 39 in the morning and 41 in the evening (think thats because the motorway section is biased to one end of the trip and it prefers to hit the motorway sooner rather than later as it warms up quicker)
Don't expect much more on longer runs though, on a recent run from Manchester to Southampton and back in a day I managed 41mpg on the way there on crusie (79mph) and nudging 43mpg on the way back at similar speeds without cruise interestingly.

Having had a 1.9tdi B6. B7 and a 2.5tdi B6 before, I'm very happy with the figures and the turn of speed. The only time the guage really takes a noticable hammering is if you get stuck in standing traffic - its clear where the stop/start system gains come from.

I'm finding an £80 fill up goes 450-500 miles.

Hope thats some help,
Ian

Last edited:
I recently went from a 2.0 to a 3.0, I was looking for an early B8 S Line but with in my budget they had starship miles and not that well spec'd I stubbled across a B7 3.0 S Line with IMO more to offer than B8's within my budget.

£85 (Brimmed tank) get us about 450 miles, full tank on the 2.0 (Slightly larger tank on the 2wd) which was closer to £100 to brim would get about 650 miles.

So real world id say the 3.0 is not a million miles behind the 2.0. But its a million miles ahead in the grin factor

I recently went from a 2.0 to a 3.0, I was looking for an early B8 S Line but with in my budget they had starship miles and not that well spec'd I stubbled across a B7 3.0 S Line with IMO more to offer than B8's within my budget.

£85 (Brimmed tank) get us about 450 miles, full tank on the 2.0 (Slightly larger tank on the 2wd) which was closer to £100 to brim would get about 650 miles.

So real world id say the 3.0 is not a million miles behind the 2.0. But its a million miles ahead in the grin factor

Is the B7 the 230ps spec, which is pre 2008?

According to a lot of people here, the 2.0TFSi gets the same mpg as the TDi. I easily get 35mpg-40something mpg with my TFSi.

I also get about 34mpg combined from my 2.0t fsi. On a 300 mile motorway journey, I averaged 45mpg. My wife was following in her 120d and only got 47mpg as we weren't hanging around.

I've had the 2.0TDI multi-tronic and used to get 485 miles to the fuel warning light and that was 300 miles worth of fairly hard motorway driving. I now have the 2013 3.0 TDI Quattro S-Tronic and after 2000 miles my commute to work is getting me about 385 miles to the light, although that has steadily been improving particularly when it's warmer. I saw 39.1 mpg on the trip computer after the run home tonight.

I went for the 3.0 TDI as I always felt the 143 BHP 2.0TDI was a bit underpowered for the size of the car. The 3.0 TDI non quattro engine is potentially a good compromise on fuel efficiency vs performance. However, I do wish I had tried the 2.0TFSI quattro, particularly now V-Power Diesel is about 8p per litre more than V-Power Petrol...

:sign_welcome:
If your more concerned about fuel costs stick to the 2.0 Diesels.
Most models are nowhere near what the manufacture claim and often people complain about this. Your driving style is alot differenrt to the test results therefore it is completely different. I use what the Manufacture claim as a guide line for example the more they claim the more the car does simple as.
Hope i help :)

Have to disagree with that.....my 2.0 170 (mapped to 200) is still a slug and lucky to get 34 combined.Its more expensive to buy and to fuel.

My 3.0 245 quattro is averaging 30.4mpg (calculated) last time I checked, and that is basically all town/traffic and only a 6 mile commute so the engine never really warms up properly. :( Not too bad I don't think since there's less than 5k on the clock so still improving! Can get a decent 39-42 on a longer run but don't get to do them very often...

IMHO 3.0 TDi Quattro.

Re. fuel costs. My 2.0 TFSi Quattro is remapped and on a mixed run to work (64 Miles of A and B class roads) and not specifically driving to save fuel i average about 32 to 35 mpg. If i really take it easy on an A road I can get up to 40 mpg. Not bad for a re mapped 2.0 petrol turbo Quattro. But then i dont often try that hard to save fuel.... :whistle2:

According to a lot of people here, the 2.0TFSi gets the same mpg as the TDi. I easily get 35mpg-40something mpg with my TFSi.

As both the diesel and the petrol (sorry) are oil burners id be more likely to go for a more powerful version because anything you drive will only give mpg figures similar to your driving style and conditions.

If you can manage a B8.5 most seem to have start stop and brake recuperation also having ancillaries on clutches so only used when needed saving fuel a little.

in our family we all drive different engines

Mrs got 2.0 tdi 140
I got 2.0 tdi 170
Brothers drives 3.0 tdi

I can see better fuel consumption in 3.0 & in future I will defiantly go for 3.0 tdi. Purely because of power, sound nice & better fuel economy :racer:

Is the B7 the 230ps spec, which is pre 2008?

Early ones are 204 BHP mine is 233bhp and I think latest is 245bhp.. Although like the man in the orthopedic shoes I stand to be corrected

I've driven most engine/transmission combinations. Currently got a 2011 3.0TDI Avant Quattro Stronic. The 3.0TDI is far more responsive than any of the 2.0 petrol or Diesel. My measured average is 33.9 mpg, better than I got from a 2.0 140 BHP multitronic loan car I had for a couple of weeks 18 months ago, or a 2.0T B7 manual I used to have.

After an S3 I seriously considered an S4, but wanted a more economy and range. 3.0TDI more than enough go 99% of the time. Will probably be tempted by the new S3 sportback next if I can get a good deal.

I went form a Mondeo ST TDCI (remapped) to the 2.7 Multitronic S Line. To be honest the Mondeo was not that much better on the MPG. I fill up the A4 for £75-£80 and get 450-500 miles. If your used to a 4 pot engine, it may be worth looking at a V6 for a change. Your welcome to have a closer look Im based in Essex.

After an S3 I seriously considered an S4, but wanted a more economy and range. 3.0TDI more than enough go 99% of the time. Will probably be tempted by the new S3 sportback next if I can get a good deal.

I made the same switch from S3 to the 3.0TDI avant. Haven't looked back and like you say, almost all the grunt you need. Having said that, have been looking at remaps! Anyone have any recommendations? Ive used Revo before on an old a3 and although power was improved, i didnt buy into the fuel saving speal they were selling me at the garage. Any feelings on blue fin?

I have a 2010 3.0 tdi quattro (240ps) and love it. Generally I get 37-42 mpg with 75% motorway and not too aggressive. Lowest mpg I saw was 25 from one tank of 'spirited' urban driving. Also got the bluefin remap which transforms the car into what it always should have been. About 55 more horses and more torque, but I'm not really seeing the mpg increase they mention in the ads (I don't really care about that though)

Most of you mention motorway mileage. I had an A4 170 quattro and now have leon with the same engine. A4 on motorway didnt get over 40mpg average. Leon almost always averages just over 42mpg. I get on average 34-36mpg in MK driving from one roundabout to another with a heavy shoes style. What average mpg do you get from 2.0tfsi or 3.0tdi when you push it most of the time? Had an S3 for 3 moths and didnt get average over 25mpg. Driving same style as leon. Even my touareg which weighs 2.2 ton with 2.5tdi 170bhp averaged more than S3 and you had to floor it to keep it moving!

Heavy shoes style on the 3.0tdi is probably low 30's with less motorway. For me anyway. My last car was a V8 S4 and that was about 18 mpg for similar.

With heavy shoes on a B road I'd imagine I'd end up with 25-28mpg from past experience. That said, under normal driving I'd be seeing 42+ mpg on the same stretch of road. :)

Average mileage on my Revo mapped 2.0 TFSi on a 64 mile daily run using city streets, dual carriageway and A roads is between 32 and 38 mpg. Not trying to save fuel just 'normal' driving.

Mrs C has just got 47 mpg (DIS) from our B7 3.0 TDI £85 to fill up 420 mile round trip and still showing 75 miles left in the tank. Just got a Racechip Pro 2 which I will fit tonight so she may get a bit more mpg

On my 2.0tdi 143 (remap to 175) i get on a long run 200 miles motorway 55 mpg at a decent speed actually saw 58.6 when the weather was bad so never went above 70 mph, then 60 miles of stop start town center driving of 45 mpg which aint bad as it been quite cold since i got her, hoping for a little more when the weather warms up, and i like to give it a little in 2, 3, and 4th as the torque is now what it should be.
it has been interesting reading people saying there dis and actual is way out, i have done that test brimmed then actual litres used and my dis was only .6 out

I have a 2010 3.0 tdi quattro (240ps) and love it. Generally I get 37-42 mpg with 75% motorway and not too aggressive. Lowest mpg I saw was 25 from one tank of 'spirited' urban driving. Also got the bluefin remap which transforms the car into what it always should have been. About 55 more horses and more torque, but I'm not really seeing the mpg increase they mention in the ads (I don't really care about that though)

Yea thats the same as i get from mine on a 40 mile round trip to work and back, mainly A roads with a short stint of B. Havent seen it ever go above 42 though on a single trip. Can get it as low as 25mpg if its a clear run :) How many miles are you getting to a tank with the Bluefin remap? I can squeeze 460miles out of my standard 240ps. Also, how does the remap affect your insurance on this kind of car?