Plasti Dipped S4

Ewan, by all means do your alloys if you wish (they actually great the way they are) but dont do the car. The original red is plush. Just my opinion of course. :) x

Yeah I would be too scared. Im defo looking at doing the chrome window surrounds in gloss black. I hear its cheaper than wrapping and you can do it yourself.
I need to get 2 of my Alloys refurbed as the laquer is peeling off them so getting them done in dark grey is something I would consider.
Has anybody had any experience in plasti dipping?

Yeah I would be too scared. Im defo looking at doing the chrome window surrounds in gloss black. I hear its cheaper than wrapping and you can do it yourself.
I need to get 2 of my Alloys refurbed as the laquer is peeling off them so getting them done in dark grey is something I would consider.
Has anybody had any experience in plasti dipping?

Ewan, im sure Scottb5 has used the plasti dipping. He is in the a4 b5 section, im sure he started a thread on it. I will go look for it. :) x

Pretty nice but surely this stuff peels away with wind resistance and washing and more washing?

I bought a couple of spray cans and a spay can handle which should arrive in the next couple of days. Going to do my chrome parts Matt black. Will post some pics!

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Pretty nice but surely this stuff peels away with wind resistance and washing and more washing?

No. It's pretty resilient to most stuff as long as it has good adhesion. The chrome surrounds are a bit harder for it to stick to, but if it starts coming away it only takes about 20 mins to reapply. In other places it can handle car washes, power washes and day to day crap. Will be very good in winter to keep salty crap off the bodywork.

Nope it's fine.
I've had it on roof, window rubbers, grill, wipers and aerial with out any issues from wind, jet washes or hand washes.

Had an issue from the lads in work peeling it off though.

I also did engine bay bits.

I've had my grille done for a couple of months now and it's standing up to everything so far. I did my winter steels but it didn't work quite as well, it started to peel off but I think there may have been a bit of water under the weight or something but also started coming away from the centres by the wheel nuts. Pulled it all off and just painted them matt black, well Audi did when it was in getting the wings replaced. I'm going to tackle my window trims soon so they match up with the grille.

I've had my grille done for a couple of months now and it's standing up to everything so far. I did my winter steels but it didn't work quite as well, it started to peel off but I think there may have been a bit of water under the weight or something but also started coming away from the centres by the wheel nuts. Pulled it all off and just painted them matt black, well Audi did when it was in getting the wings replaced. I'm going to tackle my window trims soon so they match up with the grille.

Water can be right pain remove any chance of it sticking.

When I empty and clean my gun, I spray it on my old bbq and or winter alloys depending on the cleaning stage.
I've never prepped, dried or clean the alloys or bbq (it's rusty.) But the dip has stuck very very well. Im really impressed, just a shame it never stuck that well on the car when some water dropped on the bumper.

Reactions: Mcdubber1
Nope it's fine.
I've had it on roof, window rubbers, grill, wipers and aerial with out any issues from wind, jet washes or hand washes.

Had an issue from the lads in work peeling it off though.

I also did engine bay bits.

Hmm i might do some engine bay stuff

Also tempted to have a go with this for window surrounsa and grill... Not sure how well it would peel off window rubbers if you get a bit of overspray - which is my only reservation.

might do the windows too - got to be cheeper than tinting! ;)

Can't wait to see the pics when you do your window surrounds. Would do this myself, but wanted a gloss black. I could get them wrapped but just depends on cost really.

Reactions: Mcdubber1
Can't wait to see the pics when you do your window surrounds. Would do this myself, but wanted a gloss black. I could get them wrapped but just depends on cost really.

Ewan, check out the link i gave you yesterday, Robbiemac left you a link. :) x

Also tempted to have a go with this for window surrounsa and grill... Not sure how well it would peel off window rubbers if you get a bit of overspray - which is my only reservation.

might do the windows too - got to be cheeper than tinting! ;)

Peels off fine on the rubber.
I'm about to peel mine off, I can do you a video if you want?

get the glossifier.
Paint in black and then gloss over the top.

Well thats one tin of 400ml black Plastidip ordered! Let the fun and games begin!!!
Just hope thats enough to do the grill and chrome window surrounds.
What kind of prep needs doing for this?

All I did for prep on my grille was clean it and roughly mask it and that's it.

I take it you did the whole grille? I suppose it would look daft if you just did the chrome surround.

Not really.
It depends on the black on the grill.
I don't know what your grill looks like but on my B5 it was ok.
I dipped all of my grill the 2nd time round for fun but it was a ***** to remove the dip once I finished though.

I'm uploading a video for you mate.

Private video?

Interested to see this.

Reactions: ScottD3
I have the stone grey grill at the minute so think it might look odd if I just spray the chrome frille surround.

Is it easy to peel off the paint on the plastic grill if I didn't like it?

Very. Did mine a day or two ago. Takes 30 seconds to pull off. Don't use the plastidip just now though. Its too cold and it won't spray evenly. Comes out quite blobby like. Wait till 7+'c IMO.

Very. Did mine a day or two ago. Takes 30 seconds to pull off. Don't use the plastidip just now though. Its too cold and it won't spray evenly. Comes out quite blobby like. Wait till 7+'c IMO.
Hmmm.....interesting. I was going to spray mine tomorrow but might wait if you say its not good in the cold.

Hmmm.....interesting. I was going to spray mine tomorrow but might wait if you say its not good in the cold.

I did my rear chrome strip when it was about 7'C, but then retried again (pulled it off accidently!) when it was a bit colder and in a garage (first time was outside in a parking space) and it was very congealed. Definatly needs to be warmer for it to work well. (i shock it loads as well!).

Also, I highly recommend a spraycan holder (you can get them in places like hobbycraft for £3.50).
iWFqSg9jGI2B0xq4rSlEbV3c9MLdFL8aY4HS0M0yuHDb97HLR7uO9n8gOysv0i-Kc1DtzP9RMd-hut52snW20UXlGn3gQoVYxlRRnkEcGFtKgfzEx8skh9vQmiSp4zMZ5Ck0ZjzNox5CNuu175igLKsYxWPLmQ=s220-c

I did my rear chrome strip when it was about 7'C, but then retried again (pulled it off accidently!) when it was a bit colder and in a garage (first time was outside in a parking space) and it was very congealed. Definatly needs to be warmer for it to work well. (i shock it loads as well!).

Also, I highly recommend a spraycan holder (you can get them in places like hobbycraft for £3.50).

I'm shocked the cans reacted to the cold more than the spray gun.

I've been dipping for the last two weeks and its been ok.
The dip separated in its containers, a nice clear layer on top, gave it a good mix, added the thinners and it went on ok.
Took ages to dry between coats but nothing as bad as last year but it was in the minuses, so my fault lol