Monster MotorsportBadger5
    Reverse Gear

Status

B8 a4 gearbox problem or not????

I have a 60 plate audi a4 avant 1.8tfsi with 19k on the clock. Recently though ive started to notice when pulling away in 1st and sometimes when in 2nd gear, I get what appears to be a clunky/rattle coming from just under the gear stick (poss gear linkage but not 100% sure) is this a serious problem ???

I've also noticed juddering in 1st and a slight gearbox whine in 2nd gear (very slight) Getting slightly worried that the box is going to give out and with only 19k on the clock its seems rather premature. It's still under warranty till September 2013 and its due its last free service from audi in a couple of thousand miles. Not sure if the warranty will cover it because I have remapped the car. The biting point still seems ok though???

Any ideas?

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Why do people keep questioning as to whether a remap invalidates the warranty????? It does NOT!! Audi would have a hell of a job proving the remap caused some other issue i.e. gearbox. Your car can handle a hell of a lot more than the remap gives.

2011 A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Dynamik. IBIS White.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by riggssuzuki:1779056
    Why do people keep questioning as to whether a remap invalidates the warranty????? It does NOT!! Audi would have a hell of a job proving the remap caused some other issue i.e. gearbox. Your car can handle a hell of a lot more than the remap gives.
    Your are probably right mate, I'm not disputing that, but some dealers can be completely ignorant if you fettle with the car while it's still under warranty. Imo its just an excuse for dealers not to pay out for expensive repairs. I must admit though I cannot fault the service given at West London Audi, I think when it's service is due I'm just going to get them to check the gearbox at the same time.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by riggssuzuki View Post
    Im sorry,but you are wrong! A remapp will invalidate certain parts of your warranty,such as transmission and drivetrain etc.
    Thats what Audi told me anyway.
    ​Ibis White A4 3.0Tdi Quattro Black Edition

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetmeister View Post
    Im sorry,but you are wrong! A remapp will invalidate certain parts of your warranty,such as transmission and drivetrain etc.
    Thats what Audi told me anyway.
    Looks like its down to individual Audi dealerships as to what they would do. Mine stated it wouldnt be an issue and they would need to prove it was done by a remap. Bear in mind though that some companies who remap will protect you against certain issues if its proven to be the fault of the remap. And Audi can and do see if a car has been remapped. My dealer called me and told me that my ECU had been accessed and remapped......oops

2011 A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Dynamik. IBIS White.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by riggssuzuki View Post
    Looks like its down to individual Audi dealerships as to what they would do. Mine stated it wouldnt be an issue and they would need to prove it was done by a remap. Bear in mind though that some companies who remap will protect you against certain issues if its proven to be the fault of the remap. And Audi can and do see if a car has been remapped. My dealer called me and told me that my ECU had been accessed and remapped......oops
    It all comes down to how honest your dealer is,any warranty claim has to be approved by Audi UK,if they mention to them that the car has been remapped the warranty work would be refused.
    If the warranty claim was a high value one such as gearbox,transmission etc then Audi would send down an engineer to check the claim,hence the reason my dealer (and the other 3 local to me) told me they wouldn't get away with warranty claims on a remapped car and wouldn't take the risk.
    ​Ibis White A4 3.0Tdi Quattro Black Edition

4th Gear

Status
    A lad in Aberdeen had a remapped RS3 that lunched it's gearbox and ECU. They refused to pay for the ECU as it had obviously been tampered with but replaced the gearbox under warranty now worries. They couldn't prove that the remap had actually caused the issue with the gearbox 100% so replaced it.
    Daytona Grey A4 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Tronic Black Edition

Reverse Gear

Status
    It seems there is a difference of opinion on this subject, i think i will just report it as a warranty issue and see where it leads, i wont know otherwise. I had the car in for a service/inspection last year and never even mentioned anything about the remap. TBH i couldnt be without this remap as the car was originally the lower powered 120ps version and its now running 210ps Superchips remap, Superchips all the way IMO.

Any ideas as to what this faint rattle/clunk could be by the gear stick as the clutch engages? anyone else had the same problem?

Reverse Gear

Status
    It seems there is a difference of opinion on this subject, i think i will just report it as a warranty issue and see where it leads, i wont know otherwise. I had the car in for a service/inspection last year and never even mentioned anything about the remap. TBH i couldnt be without this remap as the car was originally the lower powered 120ps version and its now running 210ps Superchips remap, Superchips all the way IMO.
    Any ideas as to what this faint rattle/clunk could be by the gear stick as the clutch engages? anyone else had the same problem?

4th Gear

Status
    Sounds like a good plan, they'll soon tell you if it's going to be covered under warranty!

So you got 90PS from a single map?!
    Daytona Grey A4 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Tronic Black Edition

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daggerit:1779308
    Sounds like a good plan, they'll soon tell you if it's going to be covered under warranty!

So you got 90PS from a single map?!
    I've not put it on a dyno yet to confirm this, but this is the gains produced by superchips remap. The 1.8tfsi is perfectly capable of producing this kind of power. The 120ps is the same engine and turbo as the higher powered 160ps version. It's just ecu map that is different.