Wheel swap...

dubdemand

VAG Addict
Reaction score
Spent a few hours swapping out the wheels on the new B8 today and gave it a bit of a clean. Quite happy with it now but will be adding spacers next month to improve the fitment. Its currently ET45 all round and I think ET33 front and ET30 rear should get it sitting better.

anyway, here's the pics!

e5ccbe20a7324ccbf674a513c1a6206c.jpg

2e0a9c214241769da72dfd579b66010c.jpg

2b7e4f1e3245dafcf3202bbb51301f14.jpg

fd961c0de124fac40d08ac19e0fc68f7.jpg

1e88b952892570f1cd94ade8ae9c00e7.jpg

2aca512ae415d5edb202500e3bd94c2b.jpg

7ad64f3bc3178ac80d96d0881a5bc19a.jpg

and a quick one of our old B7 on the same rims for reference...

a0989deb05631a1365ff72002f10c4b1.jpg

Do like them .... but would never order them for fear of the cleaning. Looks great.

Reps... The real deal would cost nearly half the value of the car!

These are much lighter than the OEM 18" wheels that came off and are really well made. I would like to refurb them at some point and am tempted to go with body colour centres or maybe a shade or two darker - time and money will tell!

heres a frosty morning one from yesterday (taken on my blackberry so carp quality I'm afraid)... highlights the need to space the rears out. Having done a bit of research, taking them to an effective ET30 should get the wheel pretty flush with the arch :)

3f12ab4ca3b282188a9063ded9b8b47d.jpg

I thought they were 19's. Those seem to fill the arches much better than standard 18's
. Have you lowered the suspension?

They are 19s mate. The original wheels (pictured below) were 18". It hasn't been lowered either but it does have the optional S Line suspension leaving it 10mm lower than the standard sport set up on the S Line and 30mm lower than the SE.

I'd like to look at lowering it in the future but my wife drives it daily and it has to remain practical!

79e06d3899b66f6f36ab19eff3ea6b06.jpg

Thanks for the info, I didn't know they did a optional setup over the standard s line ride height. How would I find out if mine was specified from new? because it's quite hard to tell from just looking.

You need to have a look at the options sticker in the boot or in the cover of your owners manual. If it lists '1BV' then you have the optional S Line suspension. The standard set up is known as 'Sport' springs which lowers the car 20mm over standard and the optional S Line lowers 30mm over standard.

Hope that helps?

I've had a look and appears I have option code 1BE. I'm a little confused because When put through the decoder it shows exactly the same description as 1BV is this the same thing or is it like u said the difference between that extra 10mm drop??

Thanks for the info, I didn't know they did a optional setup over the standard s line ride height. How would I find out if mine was specified from new? because it's quite hard to tell from just looking.

When i ordered mine (its a march 2009 sline) i took the option of 19" wheels which at the time could only be fitted to a 20mm drop sline.Im pretty sure that there was a thread on this forum that gave extra info re codes 1bv etc but ill be bugggered if i can find it.Theres also a code 1bd for 'special sports suspension' just to confuse matters.

You need to have a look at the options sticker in the boot or in the cover of your owners manual. If it lists '1BV' then you have the optional S Line suspension. The standard set up is known as 'Sport' springs which lowers the car 20mm over standard and the optional S Line lowers 30mm over standard.

Hope that helps?
Whereabouts in the boot would it be? Is this the same for the saloon?

What size tyres you running? It looks good btw and looks lower than standard, I know you said it's not maybe just the pics.

Tyres are 235 53 19 which is a little small for the B8 and for my liking but they were the correct sizer for our previous B7. Plan is to go to 245 35 19 on the rear when I replace the tyres and eventually all round when the other pair wear out...

Spacers will be ordered at the end of the month so more pics soon!

Tyres are 235 53 19 which is a little small for the B8 and for my liking but they were the correct sizer for our previous B7. Plan is to go to 245 35 19 on the rear when I replace the tyres and eventually all round when the other pair wear out...

Spacers will be ordered at the end of the month so more pics soon!

Yeah that's what I thought they would be, they look ok tbh and when you get spacers on they'll fill the arches even better!

I've been considering getting the LMs refurbished but having done some digging the refurb is going to work out at about £100 per wheel... so I'm stuck!

I love these wheels and they work better on the B8 than I had hoped and might look even better with titanium centres but I can't get away from the fact that for just £100 more I could buy a new set and still have these to sell on.

I have found both sets shown below in 8.5x19 for about £550 and can get the tyres swapped over for about a tenner per wheel.

So what do you guys think?

- refurb LMs in silver
- refurb LMs in titanium grey
- BBS CH reps
- AXE / VMR reps (my current favourite)

7b0389cadf874ce1d76f3c3cb073cb7e.jpg

0a36ead45f28e6e605efb181a7ef8ac1.jpg

May I ask where you have found the CH reps for £550?

I'm looking for some in 18's.

Cheers

PS - my vote is for the CH's, obviously.

eGay... Mad on motors have quite a lot to choose from but this auction might be just what your after - 400407630679. Staggered 18" CH reps! (Sorry cant provide a web page link from the eBay app on my ipad).

I seem to change my mind between the CHs and VMRs on a daily basis... Hadn't even considered the VMRs in grey (not seen them ether) but they would look good, especially if I wrapped all the chome trim round the windows, roof bars and grill!

damn it, this car is meant to remain a practical daily driver! lol

Bingo, those wheels are pretty much what I'm looking for.

And in Birmingham too!!!

Absolute legend, gonna call them tomorrow. Thanks buddy.