Advice on a noise...

Daggerit

Reaction score
Alright guys, just a quick question.

I had the coilovers fitted quite a while ago, AP Racing jobs, and just after they were fitted they were fine. It seems like once the springs settle down I'm getting a dull thumping noise from either one or both of the front wheels. It doesn't start until the car starts to move but is not rotational, i.e. doesn't get faster/slower, just random clunking or thumping noises.

I've had it back up and checked everything but can't find the source. Sometimes you can just feel it through the steering wheel too but the car handles great. Don't know. Almost sounds like a loose wheel but that definitely isn't the case...

Any thoughts lads?

Cheers,

Dan

Raise it up, see if it goes away.

That would point to the movement on the roads is causing a knocking, at least then you can see when lowered how much closer each part is to eachother, but check the arb aswell as mine was close to an upright & kept knocking occasionally.

That would point to the movement on the roads is causing a knocking, at least then you can see when lowered how much closer each part is to eachother, but check the arb aswell as mine was close to an upright & kept knocking occasionally.

Perfect, thanks. I guess looking at it while on the deck rather than jacking it up would be a good move too as if something is close then I'd never know otherwise. Don't know why I didn't think of that. I'll wait until the snow/wet is gone and take a look. Cheers!

The noise you describe would indicate a strut failure! I had the same symptoms you describe on my previous car with aftermarket coilovers and one had failed!!
Take it back to whoever fitted them and have them checked.

The noise you describe would indicate a strut failure! I had the same symptoms you describe on my previous car with aftermarket coilovers and one had failed!!
Take it back to whoever fitted them and have them checked.

Well the strut in an A4 is firmly attached to the body with no bearings or anything because it's running a double wishbone design. All the fittings are tight and there's no play in the actual coilover and no oil leaking so I don't know where to look next apart from things touching when it's on the deck. It was me and a VW tech that fitted it on a ramp in the VW garage so know that nothing has been damaged or anything... With 2k miles on the clock I'd be ****** if something on the car had failed as well...

Oh and just had a friend say that on his Passat the ARB was hitting the driveshaft so I'll make sure that I check that as well although I didn't see any marks on either when I jacked it up... Seems strange though, surely with the stock suspension if you went around a corner and hit a bump, could you not have the same thing happen? Seems like a bad design no?